It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for unheard of gems to watch? Movie night!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   

If anyone would like to add to the thread, I welcome it. Every now and then we find a movie which never made a big box office debut, maybe because of the competition at the time, maybe because it was overlooked, under appreciated. Heck, sometimes movies are just destined to be cult classics which require a major flop to begin with.

In any case, the other day while perusing the cheap movies on iTunes I stumbled on "Father of Invention".

A melodramatic comedy based on a fallen "infomercial douche" who made a billion dollar fortune selling crap items, fabricating his inventions from 2 or more common place items.

It stars Kevin Spacey, Heather Graham, Johnny Knoxville, and a couple other well known names.

Came out in 2010, to be honest, I never heard about it before. But, as an entrepreneur... I figured it would be an amusing comedy. A heartening piece, mostly centred around Spacey trying to rekindle a relationship with his previously neglected daughter.

Story: Kevin Spacey has one of his inventions with a major defect which causes people to lose their hands. He goes to prison, loses half his fortune to his wife and her new boy toy, and the other half to his "victims" and ends up working at a hollywood version of Walmart.

He is persona non-grata, and even though his original character is a douche, the prison changed version of him is a meek, humbler man who just wants to take another shot at life.

I found it to be an enjoyable watch, and thank god not one of those formulaic Will Ferrel type comedies that get pumped out regularly from Hollywood.

Check it out, it's a cheap flick.

www.imdb.com...
edit on 10-10-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I recently watched The Story Of Luke

The lead character was oddly pleasurable to watch, with how he acted and spoke. He has autism and adjusting to life with his dysfunctional relatives, who take him in after his grandmother dies.
Seth Green is hilarious as his boss at his new job.
You laugh and you cry watching this film.

95min. A comedy about Luke, a young man with autism who is on a quest for a job and a girlfriend.
Starring Lou Taylor Pucci, Seth Green, Cary Elwes and Kristin Bauer.
www.thestoryofluke.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Apocalypto directed by Mel Gibson
is an excellent movie

It's hard to get people to agree to watch it with me because it has subtitles " oh I hate subtitles" . I do too but it's completely easy to ignore because you can tell what's being said without really having to read along. It really shouldn't put you off. There's enough going in visually.
It's quite graphic violence, torture and cruelty. I don't usually like this much violence but this movie had a good storyline. Good character portrayals.

It takes place in the South American jungle with tribes.
Not suitable for children or people offended by extreme violence.
edit on 10-10-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Greetings,

I'd suggest trying...

- The Nest
- Passenger Side
- Sushi Girl
- Old Boy
- Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
- The Hunted (the Christopher Lambert one...not the Tommy Lee Jones one)
- Hollow Point
- City of God
- These Girls
- Crimson Rivers 2: Angels of the Apocalypse
- Once upon a time in China and America
- They call me Trinity
- Painted Face 2
- The Gamers: Dorkness Rising (this one is a cheap indie film meant only for people who have played Dungeons & Dragons but it's a scream for those who have)

You're bound to find something you like in that list.

-Amitaba-
edit on 10-10-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

edit on 10-10-2013 by Eryiedes because: Forgot One

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
The man from earth.
No problem in advance

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I recently watched this movie called 'The game' with Micheal Douglas i think.

I watch a lot of movies, dont remember any of them. I would google search 100 best cult classics. I would google, Roger Ebert great movies... And 1,000 greatest films of all time, but stay closer to the big numbers, lots near 1 are from 40s and 50s and 30s...unless thats your thing. Also google Best independent films.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Well this film is one of my favorites ever (even beats The Dark Knight trilogy and that takes some doing!). I thoroughly enjoy watching it, yet my wife hates it, because of the subtitles (lazy women).

In the fascist Spain of 1944, the bookish young stepdaughter of a sadistic army officer escapes into an eerie but captivating fantasy world.

Director: Guillermo del Toro.

www.imdb.com...

Here is the Trailer for it:

Great story, great ending, and full of fantasy which I love.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I watched two old movies from 60s El cid and Warlord. Made me realise how crap movies are today.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Need a newer release?

I found "Now You See Me" very good and way under rated. Magicians that rob banks awesome!

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   

AthlonSavage
I watched two old movies from 60s El cid and Warlord. Made me realise how crap movies are today.

I found that after watching 2001. Boy, they really lack something these days... Anyone like the old Highlander series? Warlock movies of the 80s? All those, brilliant. CGI ruined it in some sense, it used to be about angles. Not showing every angle.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
American Cowslip
Tetsuo: The Iron Man
Simon of The Desert
Fritz The Cat
The Seventh Seal
Lost Highway
Marebito
On The Road
Fanny and Alexander
I Stand Alone
Julien Donkey-Boy
Melancholia

I could go on.....

P.S These are not kid's movies.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
My suggestion is The Majestic starring Jim Carey. It's not a comedy, but a drama directed by Frank Darabont (he of Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile fame).

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
A newer one I loved is Last Stand with Arnold swartzneggar.
Action packed and some funny moments
I watched it several times, then bought it.

My other favorites I bought were Bsttleship and The Amazing Spiderman, not with the Toby actor & Kirsten Dunst. This one has Sally field and Martin sheen

Life Of Pi is really good!

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
If you want pure "cult" then I'm going to come out of left field and suggest you watch the amazing 1980 conspiracy musical "The Apple"
That's right conspiracy musical

OK it is as camp as christmas but it has a certain charm.

More seriously if you want to see a powerful movie that might be a little less well known then watch "grave of the fireflies"
It's an animation but damn it makes me cry everytime

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
For the Sci-Fi and Fantasy lover: these sites have plenty to choose from for the surreal lover of cinema delights.

scifilists.sffjazz.com...
io9.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I had a small part in this movie. It's a good one....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
el topo, the holy mountain

the sasquatch gang

taxi driver

Weekend - Jean luc Godard

Bronson

Slacker *(not slackers)

Amelie

The hudsucker proxy (everything by coen brothers) Fargo

wild at heart - David lynch

squid and the whale

have you seen all Wes Anderson movies? Royal Tennenbaums, life aquatic, rushmore etc.

youve seen donnie darko right?

Closer

Magnolia

Kung pow

Enter the void

2 recent woody allen films are good; Midnight in Paris, and to Rome with Love

Brazil (everything by Terry giliam).. Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

The usual suspects

Being John Malkovich, adaptation, Schnyecdaty (spelling wrong), new york

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
MOVIES
Triangle (2009)
Dark City (1998)
I Sell The Dead (2008)
Dog Soldiers (2002)
Ravenous (1999)
Miracle Mile (1988)
The Quiet Earth (1985)
The Man from Earth (2007)
Night of the Comet (1984)
Last Night (1998)
Save the Green Planet! (2003)
Deterrence (1999)

ANIME / ANIMATED
Voices of a Distant Star (2002)
Grave of the Fireflies (1994)
Perfect Blue (1999)
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (2001)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2006)

TV SHOWS
Misfits (2009 - 2013)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Some suggestions....

Four Lions- Dark Comedy

Storyline

Four Lions tells the story of a group of British jihadists who push their abstract dreams of glory to the breaking point. As the wheels fly off, and their competing ideologies clash, what emerges is an emotionally engaging (and entirely plausible) farce. In a storm of razor-sharp verbal jousting and large-scale set pieces, Four Lions is a comic tour de force; it shows that-while terrorism is about ideology-it can also be about idiots. Written by Sundance Film Festival

www.imdb.com...

The skin I live in- Mystery/Drama- Subtitled

Storyline

In honor of his late wife who died in a flaming car accident, scientist, Dr. Robert Ledgard, is trying to synthesize the perfect skin which can withstand burns, cuts or any other kind of damage. As he gets closer to perfecting this skin on his flawless patient, the scientific community starts growing skeptical and his past is revealed that shows how his patient is closely linked to tragic events he would like to forget.

www.imdb.com...

Branded- Drama/Mystery/Conspiracy themed

Storyline

Set in a dystopian future where corporate brands have created a disillusioned population, one man's effort to unlock the truth behind the conspiracy will lead to an epic battle with hidden forces that control the world.

www.imdb.com...

Seven Psychopaths- Dark comedy

Storyline

A struggling screenwriter ('Colin Farrell' ) inadvertently becomes entangled in the Los Angeles criminal underworld after his oddball friends (Christopher Walken and Sam Rockwell) kidnap a gangster's (Woody Harrelson) beloved Shih Tzu.

www.imdb.com...

The Devils Double- Horror/Drama/Thriller

Storyline

Baghdad, the playground for the rich and infamous, where anything can be bought - but for a price. This is Uday Hussein's world and with his depraved lust for debauchery and immorality, he helps himself to whatever turns him on. When army lieutenant Latif Yahia is summoned to Saddam's palace, he is faced with an impossible request - to be Uday's 'fiday' - his body double, or have his family condemned to death. In a world entrenched in betrayal and corruption, knowing who to trust becomes a matter of life or death for Latif, as he battles to escape from his forced existence.

www.imdb.com...

Peace, NRE.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I got one for ya... hard to find but theres a few sites on the net that have it

In the mouth of Madness

fantastic movie... its older but really good

edit on 21-10-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join