It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could it be? A Possible Reason for the Gov't Shutdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I just had a thought about this whole situation. Last month the Federal Reserve let the cat out that QE would continue indefinitely for now. There was much speculation that followed saying the the markets were now committed to the QE and any attempt to remove it would result in catastrophe.

Since QE began the markets have been defying odds and all true economic conditions. With minds of their own they have been rising and rising despite economic outlooks remaining stagnant.

So now we have the shutdown and the looming debt ceiling. Obama and others have warned Wall Street about the looming potential crisis and most have put it off as fear mongering. But what if it isn't? What if it is the much needed correction to the market?

The government, and Obama especially, is not stupid. With Republicans in the public crosshairs, they would be able to achieve the correction/collapse with liability moved away from the current administration.

The only question is: would they do it? I am of the belief that the government will do anything it wants at this point, regardless of the people. With federal lands being put into a "police state", I don't think it is far away from the rest of the land in the event of a catastrophe. Police state by proxy while the people simply blame partisan politics as usual.

We are frogs in a kettle, and at this point I don't believe the gov does anything without hidden agenda. I guess we shall see how it all plays in the next 10 days.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This is out there as a theory right now but I don't understand quantative easing all that well - only that its been done before and appears to be a temporary fix. Something more than this needs to be done, like stop spending money as if it is the perpetual dream credit card. Or taking care of our own before helping others (even though it may affect manipulation for influence in other countries). That's what gets me the most. How can be afford to send 5 billion here and 10 billion there when in crisis mode? We can't. But they do it anyway because the system has been set up to justify it.

I'm not an extremist with regard to left or right. I don't subscribe to any of that in spite of how others may label it. Rather I see the problem - the federal government has gotten too much power too quick - too much property, too much control: all tied in with the interests of corporations. It is that simple. Greed is probably the most damaging thing of all - I've been thinking about all of the "sins" and am currently going with this one as the worst. What we have is a government who resembles a monarchy much more than a democratic republic yet they are trying to sustain the image of the later.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

The government, and Obama especially, is not stupid. With Republicans in the public crosshairs, they would be able to achieve the correction/collapse with liability moved away from the current administration.

The problem here is that history would not remember the Republicans or the Democrats if the economy collapsed. It would be the President who takes the fall for something this devastating... no matter how right or wrong he is, or how much blame is thrown around.

Obama is stuck between a rock and a hard place. He either caves and negotiates, or he takes the blame for a credit default.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TheNewRevolution

I truly wish that people would GET OFF the Repub/Dem 'whose to blame' paradigm!!

THEY ARE ALL CORRUPT!!

Favors, lobbyists, payoffs, who holds stock in what company, who is now in charge of what committee and what CEO position did they hole previously in the very industry they are now regulating?!

It really doesn't matter what side of the fence they are on, DC is corrupt, plain and simple.

No one is gonna care about elections or much of anything else if we go into an economic shutdown.

ETA.....Jumped the gun on your post,OP. I think we are thinking along the same lines as well as another similar thread this morning. I guess we will find out between Oct.17 and Nov. ?? whether or not they are pulling the plug on us or not.
edit on 7-10-2013 by palmalBlue2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

it's not all that crazy of a theory. Last week a key economic report was not produced as a result of the shutdown. The shutdown will keep the flow of that kind of information from causing any undue stress on the fragile system.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Thanks for posting this Revolution.

It does seem quite odd. Every year there's a possible gov't shutdown, sometimes it's talk and sometimes we have what we are currently experiancing.

Debt Ceiling talk is like the hens clucking in the woman's bathroom, very daunting

The fiat currency

Stock market " Glitches "

It really does seem to feel like the stage is set for a "total collapse" one of which is spoken about several times over on these boards. The pieces seem to be in place, only time will tell.

Some people on these boards thrive off of chaos and want the collapse to happen, I am not one of them. I'd rather see everything worked out and onto the next problem then just to hit a reset button and watch humanity fall and destroy itself.

Well that's my 1/2 a penny anyway~

Best Regards,

sulaw

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
the president will not allow our government to default...it is written into the constitution...sec. 4 of the 14th amendment...and here is how the supreme court would likely rule.
www.newrepublic.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Well somebody told us Wall Street fell
But we were so poor that we couldn't tell
Boehner is short and Harry Reid is tall
And Mr. BHO's a gonna save us all

Well momma got sick and daddy got down
We got free healthcare and then we moved to town
Pappa got a job with the TSA
He touched Jimmy on his privates and had a great day

~Alabama's new Song of the South

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Just like the first depression; The government will convescate (sp) all land once everything does collapse.

What makes you think it will be any different now?

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

jimmyx
the president will not allow our government to default...it is written into the constitution...sec. 4 of the 14th amendment...and here is how the supreme court would likely rule.
www.newrepublic.com...

Look, I voted for Barry... both times... (the 2nd time was for my 10 yr old who can't vote and since I wasn't going to vote at all, it seemed like a good idea at the time, flame away y'all lol), but it's ABUNDANTLY clear that this administration has no respect for the Constitution, no respect at all for "We The People". So to use this as the basis for your argument that it won't happen is, well, "sheeple speak" on it's best day! Don't be so ignorant to your surroundings, it's only bliss until it can be no longer ignored and is knocking at your front door with a UN arm band. *shakes head*

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I'm not certain as to the OP's question....

But an observation I couldn't help but make prior to all of this...when it was looking like Syria was going to happen...

I knew the Fed Shutdown was looming...and I couldn't help but think that Syria was merely the circuses part of Bread and Circuses...

Some food, a little diversion....and the masses are happy.

I refuse to contemplate the "why" of our Gov't being shutdown, it infuriates me just that much.

They're playing a game of russian roulette, with the gun pointed at our collective head...

-SN

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Here's what I know without really knowing anything ....

There are certain events in US history that, in hindsight, were set ups to drive an agenda that the country wouldn't otherwise cooperate with or accept. 9/11 comes to mind. There's many others.

They are going to cause a crisis, and then there's going to be a solution........ people will be on board because it'll be that bad.

The best way to get someone to do something is to make them think it was their idea.......

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

History is written by those in power. They currently enforce what is taught in our schools so I can pretty much guarantee that if something happens, the textbooks will absolve all blame from the President.

I can't recall a textbook in school EVER giving a president a completely bad name. Something like this, if set squarely on the shoulders of Obama, would work to the contrary.

reply to post by sulaw

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if it all collapsed. I feel it would be the best for the future. However, I am without children or a family and so I can sympathize with those who do not with their families to go through such times.

I think people would band together. It would be a harsh reality, no doubt, but we, especially as Americans, have a survival instinct that is pretty ridiculous.

reply to post by jimmyx

As stated by another, this administration hardly cares for the Constitution. I doubt they will start caring now unless it is to push another agenda further.

reply to post by TruthSeekerKnight

It won't be. It will probably be worse. We have even less freedoms now and a government 10x as powerful. People seem to forget that The Great Depression was less than 100 years ago, out battle for independence merely 237 years. We are not exempt from failure. We can and we will fall on our current path and it won't be pretty.

reply to post by SadistNocturne

Not so much a question as it was a hypothetical. As others have no doubt put it more bluntly: could this entire shutdown be a setup for the actual collapse. I am just linking bits and pieces together, the QE reports, the stock market fear mongering, the debt ceiling and the risk of default. Wrap it all together in a nice bow tied package and you have the ingredients for a man made disaster, something that NEEDS to be done to the economy sooner or later. Now they have an excuse to do it now and get it over with, placing the blame wherever they feel it is most necessary.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

TheNewRevolution

Not so much a question as it was a hypothetical. As others have no doubt put it more bluntly: could this entire shutdown be a setup for the actual collapse. I am just linking bits and pieces together, the QE reports, the stock market fear mongering, the debt ceiling and the risk of default. Wrap it all together in a nice bow tied package and you have the ingredients for a man made disaster, something that NEEDS to be done to the economy sooner or later. Now they have an excuse to do it now and get it over with, placing the blame wherever they feel it is most necessary.

Fair enough. I guess my question would be "What would TPTB gain from a US collapse?". That is not to defy your line of thought, but rather that I just don't understand what they would gain from it.

I'm curious, what do you propose they'd see as a worthwhile return for such a demolition?

-SN

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

It all depends on what you believe I suppose.

One might believe that they have a New World Order agenda to get underway.
Another might believe that they can profit from their disaster capitalism as they have done in the past.

I personally believe in order through chaos. As did Adolf Hitler. As did many great tyrannical leaders throughout time.

A manufactured crisis is something that can be controlled and in time given a solution. The one who gives the solution has the opportunity to make demands and be perceived as a hero in the limelight. Most times those demands involve more power and less freedom for those governed.

The corruption of all men is the desire for more power. Be that power through control over others or through amassing a great wealth - it all comes down to the same principle.

Why do I believe that? Well it is clear that our government is in business to gain more power of the governed. I can't begin to know why for sure, but I don't think it is deniable at this point.
edit on 7-10-2013 by TheNewRevolution because: spelling

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

TheNewRevolution

It all depends on what you believe I suppose.

Interesting thoughts.

Thanks for the feedback

Shy of creating a panic situation that would leave the public begging for a martial law scenario...I dunno. Maybe I'm just hoping it doesn't go there, you know? Don't get me wrong, I'm not closeminded to it, nor am I burying my head in the sand. I just hope it doesn't go THERE.

-SN

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by IrishCream

I voted for Barry... both times... (the 2nd time was for my 10 yr old who can't vote and since I wasn't going to vote at all, it seemed like a good idea

You voted for him twice? (Kidding)
Seriously though, people voting the wishes of a 10 year old explains a lot about our state of affairs.

new topics

top topics

join