It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Men Are Raped In the US Than Women

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

superman2012
reply to post by benrl

I don't think you know what "straw man" means. I made it clear that I was talking about sexual predators. They deserve what they get. I never even mentioned white collar criminals or people in there because a small plant was found in their house or person. Do I think they deserve it no? Don't paint me with your broad brush just because you didn't read/comprehend my post.
I think murderers and anyone that harms a child should die and be made to suffer the same things as they put their victims through. Simple really. It is my opinion.

Yes and you set up a situation with just the right parameters to justify rape.

The problem is the really bad people are in with the college kids who made a mistake, there no justification for people already being punished to be degraded to in human levels.

ITS not about them, its about us as a society, the Eye for an eye thing gets old, either we are a civilization thats for barbaric punishment or we are not.

THE US prison system is not mean to be eye for an eye vengeance, its meant to rehab and reform.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Fapomet

Rape is only defined by the act of penetrating one with one's penis.

At the risk of getting mod-spanked, are you stupid? Rape is only rape if it's with a penis? Sexual contact is done with genitals and inanimate objects alike. Are you saying if a man is raped with a broom handle, it's not rape because it was a broom handle and not a penis? What about the women that are raped with bottles and the like? That's not rape, either?

My god, the lack of brain cells with some people...
edit on 10/7/2013 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Simple someone gets caught raping a woman or a man, and they cut their 3 piece set off, especially if it happens in prison.

Cruel and unusual punishment?

How cruel and unusual is repeated sexual assault by raping someone?

Problem is over the first time they are caught and for repeat offenders it's a no-brainer.

edit on 7-10-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

And the sad thing is that prison rape has become somewhat the butt of many jokes. I don't think that's very funny, though.

No pun intended or was that Freudian slip?

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Can someone explain to me how a woman can rape a man?

Might sound like a silly question, but it's an honest one.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

benrl

Justice Department came up with a new number: 216,000. That’s 216,000 victims, not instances. These victims are often assaulted multiple times over the course of the year. The Justice Department now seems to be saying that prison rape accounted for the majority of all rapes committed in the US in 2008, likely making the United States the first country in the history of the world to count more rapes for men than for women.

The previous years numbers 66,000 sexual assaults on male prisoners in 2007.

These are huge numbers of sexual assault victims who are under reported, and unhelped.

More-Men-Are-Raped-In-the-US-Than-Women

In general sad commentary on the current Police state we find ourselves in, how we treat the least of our society says volumes about ourselves.

Prisons fill up with non-violent offenders, yea selling some plants to your buddies worth a few years of prison rape.

America is in dire need of some perspective.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Advantage

dlbott

As for being raped in prison i have mixed feelings, some deserve it but others don't.
The Bot

Id love to know who deserves to be raped.. and what becomes of the rapist who rapes the one so deserving? I wonder who determines who deserves rape.. I mean what criteria. Rhetorical question of course....

Well, how about this guy:
usnews.nbcnews.com...
or this one:
www.mediatakeout.com...
another one:
www.dailymail.co.uk...

If you will PLEASE take the time to read these few I pulled up in about 10 seconds I think you would agree that getting a taste of 'his own medicine!" is fully and morally justified, if we just let our broken legal system handle it (like putting these guys in a cell to 'protect' him from the prisoners that want to see justice served) these guys will eventually get released and do it again!
Why don't you wake up?

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

There's no "cure" for this ... only a 'simple' solution.

(post by fr33kSh0w2012 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
What bother's me most is that it's reported but it appears to be of no concern to prison officials. So a non-violent offender goes to prison for a mistake...a tax mistake, selling pot, got drunk and hurt someone, stole something for his family because he's unemployed...not saying that they shouldn't be punished or face consequences, but then these guys get abused, raped, assimilated into gangs to survive, get no counceling or training or education just abuse. They get out of prison far worse mentally, socially and any other -ally you want to add to the list, and we wonder why our society is going down hill???? There are millions of these guys going through our prison system! and millions of guys getting out of prison soon...coming to a neighborhood near you...we know that abuse becomes a cycle that's hard to break out of that leaves more abuse in it's wake!

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Out of curiosity, I check US rape statistics for 2012, and indeed, the estimated number of sexual assaults is about 207,000, so the OP's claim and title appear to be true. Of course, how many female prison inmates are raped as well? Adding this number to the number of women sexually assaulted might again tip the scale in the other direction.

But in any case, the number of rapes in prison is disturbing, but so is the US prison complex industry and the entire US judicial system. Not that the rest of the US government is any less disturbing.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

When I read the title of your thread the first thing that came to mind was where to apply for an US visa.

... But after reading the first few lines of the OP that thought was swiftly swept away...

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   

MRuss
reply to post by benrl

Can someone explain to me how a woman can rape a man?

Might sound like a silly question, but it's an honest one.

Stimulation. Biological reactions don't mean the person wants it to happen.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Rape is rape, no matter the perpetrator or the status of the victim.

I disagree, not strongly, but because you fail to realize that we do not live in a black and white reality but in between shades of gray. Rape does not occur in a vacuum...

As a start and to be literary visual I could state that not all orifices are equal, but keep in mind that rape is not only physical and may not even be about sex...

edit on 8-10-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Merlynn

Before I go further, you need some vocabulary. Psychopath/Sociopaths are not clinical terms in the psychology industry. These are the "evil" folks you speak of. Humans that lack empathy.

From Wiki: en.wikipedia.org...

The American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) and the World Health Organization's International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems' (ICD) (F60.2 Dissocial personality disorder.[1]) have similar but not identical criteria. Both have stated that their diagnosis has also been known as psychopathy or sociopathy, though the criteria are different to some other commonly used assessments.

Here are your numbers

www.bmedreport.com...

over 90% of people who are traumatized, and go on to repeat those actions upon others, are normal humans. Only a very small fraction of sociopaths are actually born that way.

Orphan isn't familiar with neurofeedback, but I personally am - having gone from 5 prescriptions to manage ADD/PTSD to zero after 86 sessions.

What Orphan is stating about the cause of these behaviors in people is true. Children who are not shown empathy from their parents, don't develop it themselves. The issue isn't that they're not physiologically capable of empathy, just those neural networks of the brain haven't ever been developed. Neurofeedback therapy is proving that with every study that comes out showing it's effects in treating people with serious mental issues.

The same goes for people in prison who are raped. When you're traumatized that much, and that many times, it rewires the brain. Trauma becomes the new norm - aka the Stockholm syndrome.

Oh but it's so much easier to demonize people and say they're just evil then to try to understand. The irony is that we're naturally built to fear people that we consider different from ourselves.

You seem to think that people with personality disorders are just evil, so start fearing at least 20% of the population because statistically 1 in 5 people has a personality disorder.

Enjoy your next trip to the mall, or grocery store. Try not to stare too hard at everyone figuring out who's messed up and who isn't.
edit on 8-10-2013 by Evil_Santa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Pinke

A drunken male college student making a massive error in judgement is in no way similar to a serial sex offender yet we lack the words to discuss that due to our fear of acknowledging that not all offences are equal.

I think there should be multiple degress of rape considering the circumstances involved. As you say not all rapes are the same. Someone making a bad judgement because of alcohol intoxication, lack of experience with females, lack of partner communication etc is not the same as a serial sex offender.

Rape in most countries is about anger, reflection of power(that is why sociopaths/psychopaths like it) over others. It doesnt have to be about males raping females or actual sexual intercourse(can be humiliation with sex toys). That is why when we get pissed off with someone we tell them "go eff yourself".

In prison with lots of sexually frustrated men grouped close together, convicted criminals whom have the bad genes within them so to speak, it seems only natural they would rape each other. I have seen videos of prison inmates studying each other to see whom is the weakest to gang rape him at first chance. It happens often and is tragic.

Women can also rape men, because its a power thing after all. A shy man matched with a sexually frustrated female will yield similar results, but this is often covered-up because its not that common and men hate admitting getting raped by women, it makes them look weak or homosexual.
edit on 8/10/13 by EarthCitizen07 because: general edit

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Evil_Santa
reply to post by Merlynn

Before I go further, you need some vocabulary. Psychopath/Sociopaths are not clinical terms in the psychology industry. These are the "evil" folks you speak of. Humans that lack empathy.

From Wiki: en.wikipedia.org...

The American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) and the World Health Organization's International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems' (ICD) (F60.2 Dissocial personality disorder.[1]) have similar but not identical criteria. Both have stated that their diagnosis has also been known as psychopathy or sociopathy, though the criteria are different to some other commonly used assessments.

Here are your numbers

www.bmedreport.com...

over 90% of people who are traumatized, and go on to repeat those actions upon others, are normal humans. Only a very small fraction of sociopaths are actually born that way.

Orphan isn't familiar with neurofeedback, but I personally am - having gone from 5 prescriptions to manage ADD/PTSD to zero after 86 sessions.

What Orphan is stating about the cause of these behaviors in people is true. Children who are not shown empathy from their parents, don't develop it themselves. The issue isn't that they're not physiologically capable of empathy, just those neural networks of the brain haven't ever been developed. Neurofeedback therapy is proving that with every study that comes out showing it's effects in treating people with serious mental issues.

The same goes for people in prison who are raped. When you're traumatized that much, and that many times, it rewires the brain. Trauma becomes the new norm - aka the Stockholm syndrome.

Oh but it's so much easier to demonize people and say they're just evil then to try to understand. The irony is that we're naturally built to fear people that we consider different from ourselves.

You seem to think that people with personality disorders are just evil, so start fearing at least 20% of the population because statistically 1 in 5 people has a personality disorder.

Enjoy your next trip to the mall, or grocery store. Try not to stare too hard at everyone figuring out who's messed up and who isn't.

Wow, seriously? I've had psychology, I never said anything about psychopaths, some people can be just evil (and by the way evil was the word someone else used, which why I used that word).

I guess I'm in the 10%, I've had many traumatic experiences and have never gone on to repeat them. I must be an incredible person.

And the link has nothing what was being talked about. I wanted to see numbers on abused people growing up to abuse others. Many are labeled by their background, in my experience I haven't seen victims become perps.

mental health

this is the definition of stockholm syndrome:
Stockholm syndrome, or capture–bonding, is a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors.

not trauma becomes the new norm.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

benrl

superman2012
reply to post by benrl

I don't think you know what "straw man" means. I made it clear that I was talking about sexual predators. They deserve what they get. I never even mentioned white collar criminals or people in there because a small plant was found in their house or person. Do I think they deserve it no? Don't paint me with your broad brush just because you didn't read/comprehend my post.
I think murderers and anyone that harms a child should die and be made to suffer the same things as they put their victims through. Simple really. It is my opinion.

Yes and you set up a situation with just the right parameters to justify rape.

The problem is the really bad people are in with the college kids who made a mistake, there no justification for people already being punished to be degraded to in human levels.

ITS not about them, its about us as a society, the Eye for an eye thing gets old, either we are a civilization thats for barbaric punishment or we are not.

THE US prison system is not mean to be eye for an eye vengeance, its meant to rehab and reform.

Rehab and reform? I wonder how many people re-offend? I wonder how many become a better criminal? No. It is about punishing them. As it should be. They are a stain on society. Who cares how they were raised? If they aren't smart enough to understand that what happened to them was wrong and make better choices then they don't deserve to share the planet with people who are smart enough to make right decisions.
Edit: you are right though, I do believe that rapists, murderers, anyone that harms a child should have to undergo ANY punishment that the parents/relatives deem fit, even if it is rape. That is my opinion, I am not trying to convince anyone of that.
edit on 8-10-2013 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

If you weren't a criminal when you went in, you will be by the time you get out. If you were never raped before you went in, you might be by the time you get out. And this is called rehabilitation. Violent and non-violent criminals HAVE to be separated and treated differently. Some indeed are animals.. but I don't think the majority are.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

You are correct about it being non violent offenders being raped. I did 4 years and the only people I ever heard of getting it were white non-violent offenders

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join