It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Men Are Raped In the US Than Women

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

DocHolidaze
I will say watch out for the pro-prison system ATS'ers and a few bored feminists may even come your way, stay up brother

As a feminist, I wish men would hurry up and get their act together on this and other issues. The majority of men are not angry enough about this and stand there whilst extreme feminists claim it is a male problem caused by men.

Men shouldn't be made slave to their chemical impulses, and I can't imagine that men being locked in a room with other men for years is anything but damaging to development. And hiya.

stirling
I believe that male prison rapes are primarily power trips.....

Not entirely untrue but perhaps unfair to men as a gender. Primarily most prison rapes are likely because we put thousands of sexually active young men in small rooms together, and in the words of Jeff Goldblum from Jurrassic Park ... Nature will find a way.

The rape = power thing is usually attributed to Susan Brownmiller and I would suggest reading her book 'against our will'. It doesn't take long to realise it completely dismisses the male perspective.

Several feminists theorists actually acknowledge this.

calstorm
reply to post by OrphanApology

I don't by the whole, rapists are the victims of rape thing.
That theory and attitude stigmatizes victims, especially male victims.

This used to be true before the definition of rape was widened beyond the predatory level.

A drunken male college student making a massive error in judgement is in no way similar to a serial sex offender yet we lack the words to discuss that due to our fear of acknowledging that not all offences are equal.

Erongaricuaro
We don't hear much about AIDS, HIV, and other possibly lethal STD's in prisons but that must exist there in unnaturally very high numbers given how it is purportedly passed along.

Advantage is right.

American prisons spend more money on HIV treatment than just about anything else for prisoners. It's a huge problem for Americans.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
ahh yes, but also it could be said according to you. More men rape than women in the U.S. Men will rape no matter what it is, creature, same sex and or otherwise, their bloodlust throbbing phallus knows no limits. Beware
edit on 6-10-2013 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Thought men only got cured and not raped..

But it must be accurate data. Knew of a guy in the military who got raped...another fondled.
Don't know a single female who was..

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

OrphanApology

americanwoman
reply to post by Advantage

People who are put in prison for raping babies and children deserve it, for starters.

People put in prison for raping babies and children were raped themselves when they were babies and children. The form of punishment suitable for such a person is life in prison not more rape. Rape will not rehabilitate someone who is a child molester, not will it make them see the error of their ways. Maybe rape would make them think back to their own trauma but again not in a good way. You know what fixes people who were raped as children? A time machine. Nothing will change their trauma and the only solution is to keep them away from the population.

Where are the numbers? Some may have been abused, this some may be a very small number. Show me the numbers. Siding with Doc, some people are just bad no matter how they were raised. I'm thinking more that many just do what they figure they can get away with and in jail anything goes.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

ChuckNasty

But it must be accurate data. Knew of a guy in the military who got raped...another fondled.

I was. And if you look up instances since the military has been in Iraq et al., there's not only been many women raped but also killed to try and cover it up. They don't like putting this on the news.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Well the way I look at it is this should be a reason to NOT commit crimes.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

And the sad thing is that prison rape has become somewhat the butt of many jokes. I don't think that's very funny, though.

I do. Though I'm sure you didn't intend it to be.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Yeah, I walked right into that one, didn't I? lol

I wonder what the female stats would be for prison rape and if that would put women above men again in terms of victims stats.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   

OrphanApology

Advantage

dlbott

As for being raped in prison i have mixed feelings, some deserve it but others don't.
The Bot

Id love to know who deserves to be raped.. and what becomes of the rapist who rapes the one so deserving? I wonder who determines who deserves rape.. I mean what criteria. Rhetorical question of course....

No one "deserves" to be raped. What type of juvenile and medieval thought process would think that in a supposedly free nation that supposedly has due process that any given person who's sent to prison deserves to be raped? What does that make the rapists? Angels of penetrating justice?

Please.

Rape is not an appropriate form of punishment for any type of crime.

Please.
They use rape the same way that weak idiots do out in society, as a means to "be the big dog" and show them who is boss. I think the should keep all sexual predators in with all the other inmates. It sure would curtail some crime don't you think?
I would draw and quarter a man if they killed one of my children...and that would be the nicest way I could think of. Is that any better?
Would you want the man/woman that killed your kids to be "protected" in jail so they didn't have to worry about anything? I would want them sweating the small stuff. Every. Single. Second.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I'm glad I wasn't the only one! lol I was just too chicken.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
The entire prison system is corrupt. That people are sent to it for punishment, as punishment, and that it is known by all and sundry that you look at the wrong person the wrong way you get bashed, or raped, or killed, and that it's OK because it's prison, is completely absurd.

And they expect people to leave prison as a better individual?

pathetic.

nothng else to say, look at the cops, look at the justice systm, look at the penal system. It's absurd. It's corrupt and makes me ill.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Merlynn

ChuckNasty

I was. And if you look up instances since the military has been in Iraq et al., there's not only been many women raped but also killed to try and cover it up. They don't like putting this on the news.

I am sorry for your ordeal.

The Chair Force did take an entire day to educate us (a few months ago).

What I got from the education was....that rape was covered up by the tons. The videos we were forced to watch was almost a how-to video...it really made me sick.

The good-ol-boy system is jacked up. People need more nuts in this area (military rape and coverups).

Prison rape is...well, don't # up or you will be #ed up.. IMO.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   

AshleyD
And the sad thing is that prison rape has become somewhat the butt of many jokes. I don't think that's very funny, though.

That is an ironic statement there, Ashley! And I was thinking the same thing you were there. I never thought about prison rape statistics.
edit on 7-10-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   

OrphanApology
[
People put in prison for raping babies and children were raped themselves when they were babies and children.

I don't for one minute believe that your statement is true in 100% of of males raping children!

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I wonder if having to pass a lot of tests, and earn a license for the right to create a fellow human being would solve many of our problems, including people abusing other people. Being brought up in a better situation, by parents that have been deemed fit to do so might possibly help.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
The common denominator between all rapes here is 'Men'. It is men raping, doesn't really matter who or what. However, I am always a little weary when males say that they somehow have it worse than women. Be it through domestic violence or rape. They don't have it worse, they don't even have it the same. Let me explain before hating me.

Trust me, rape is just as bad for a man as a women. It hurts, it injures, it humiliates etc.
However when we talk prison rape, we are talking men being confined together without access to females [hopefully spouses, girlfriends or consenting females]. So they rape each other.
First of all, whilst bad for the victim, in order to go to prison, you have committed a crime [doesn't mean you should get raped...] but you had a choice.

So at least these men had a sort of choice not to end up in a place of extreme danger. A choice that most women who are victims of rape do not have.
Yes, they can avoid dark alleys and such, but more often than not, rape happens to a women in the free world. In places where men can go and not get raped.

Furthermore there is the issue of physiology. In general men are stronger than women and have used this FACT to their advantage in domestic violence and rape.

Again, please don't get me wrong here, I do not condone or minimalise the effect of rape on both men and women but in general, in the free world, women are more in danger of being raped than men. Prison is a very specific place and is not what you normally find when you are out and about, just doing nothing wrong. So those statistics should not be willy nilly mixed up with female rape.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

This is only true because women don't have dlcks to rape other women with in female prisons. Also, women don't have the animosity in general to make them want to rape as much as men do. Rape is only defined by the act of penetrating one with one's penis.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

superman2012

OrphanApology

Advantage

dlbott

As for being raped in prison i have mixed feelings, some deserve it but others don't.
The Bot

Id love to know who deserves to be raped.. and what becomes of the rapist who rapes the one so deserving? I wonder who determines who deserves rape.. I mean what criteria. Rhetorical question of course....

No one "deserves" to be raped. What type of juvenile and medieval thought process would think that in a supposedly free nation that supposedly has due process that any given person who's sent to prison deserves to be raped? What does that make the rapists? Angels of penetrating justice?

Please.

Rape is not an appropriate form of punishment for any type of crime.

Please.
They use rape the same way that weak idiots do out in society, as a means to "be the big dog" and show them who is boss. I think the should keep all sexual predators in with all the other inmates. It sure would curtail some crime don't you think?
I would draw and quarter a man if they killed one of my children...and that would be the nicest way I could think of. Is that any better?
Would you want the man/woman that killed your kids to be "protected" in jail so they didn't have to worry about anything? I would want them sweating the small stuff. Every. Single. Second.

It is easy to look at a criminal and dismiss their humanity and basic human rights when you use such a straw man...

But lets say it was your son looking at a year for a stupid mistake, would you than be so dismissive of another humans chance at being raped?

Not every criminal is a murder, in fact if you look at prison statistics the non-violent offenders far out weight that of the violent.

SO yeah everyone can easily feel vengeance at the death of a family member, it is a common emotion that is easily understood, I would hope we could move beyond blood lust at some point and hope to Rehabilitate not perpetually punish.
edit on 7-10-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I find this to be incredibly sad and entirely believable (unfortunately, site with the statistics are down but I don't really doubt them). Rape is a tremendously brutal thing to endure and it's really quite bad for a woman. As a female sexual assault survivor, I can strongly attest to such things being a very, very deep psychological violation for anyone regardless of gender. For both, that violation is the fear of being unable to defend oneself, a sense of uncleanliness, fear of being viewed as "different" or somehow tainted by the event, and etc. In my honest opinion though, this violation is far worse for men.

Men, according to society, are supposed to be "big strong guys" and women, for a very long time, were considered the more "gentle" ones. For a man to be raped, that sense of being unable to defend oneself is like a psychological nuke. On top of it, a lot of times they question their own sexuality afterwards because of the composition of the male body afterwards that really messes with them. Female rape survivors very rarely have that issue because the perps are often male and our own physiology. I would say that the psychological impact of rape is extreme for both but moreso for men. Fears of being viewed as effeminate, homosexual and more are exactly what leads to the gross under reporting of male rape. It's hard enough for a woman to report it. A thousandfold harder for a man to.

Considering our prisons are largely filled with men, these statistics being true would not surprise me in the slightest. It's a very serious issue and one that I'm glad is getting attention. Prisons should be working harder on preventing such occurrences because, no matter what someone has done in their life (well, except maybe a sex offender because that's just karma--I'm not that nice, lol), they do not deserve that particular hell.
edit on 7/10/13 by WhiteAlice because: I oopsed and forgot "often". Not all rapists are men.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I don't think you know what "straw man" means. I made it clear that I was talking about sexual predators. They deserve what they get. I never even mentioned white collar criminals or people in there because a small plant was found in their house or person. Do I think they deserve it no? Don't paint me with your broad brush just because you didn't read/comprehend my post.
I think murderers and anyone that harms a child should die and be made to suffer the same things as they put their victims through. Simple really. It is my opinion.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join