It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"You Might Hate Obamacare, But It's Saved These People's Lives "

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Willtell
www.taxhelpok.com...

I have fielded alot of questions on the Affordable Care Act (the "ACA") lately, and I have held off on my answers to see what the full ramifications of IRS enforcement will be. The answers are not coming quickly from the IRS or Congress, but here is what we know. The ACA requires all U.S. citizens to purchase insurance beginning in 2014. The United States Supreme Court has ruled that the ACA is constitutional as a tax, not as a matter of insterstate commerce. So, the lion's share of policing compliance with the ACA will be up to the IRS. However, the ACA prohibits many of the traditional methods the IRS uses in tax enforcement. The IRS cannot initiate civil or criminal penalties, file liens or levy (garnish) a taxpayer's bank accounts or wages or otherwise seize property to satisfy any unpaid ACA tax. Also, no interest can accrue on these tax penalties. The only practical way for the IRS to collect on penalties is to capture or withhold tax refunds from year to year until satisfied. So, in summary, you can't go to jail for failure to comply, but you could lose your refund. The IRS will also oversee many tax breaks and incentives to allow taxpayers to afford health insurance and penalize those not in compliance. Future employment of thousands more IRS agents and more changes to the already complex tax code are anticipatedreply to post by xuenchen

Because there are no criminal charges associated with not purchasing health insurance, and offenders only face a $95 fee, Larry Kocot, visiting fellow at the Brookings Institution, says some individuals many not feel obligated to get coverage. “It’s a decision individuals will have to make—there will be bigger consequences for dishonesty,” Kockot says. “The payment is not subject to criminal penalties, liens or levies. Essentially, the government can issue you a notice of payment or can collect this from your tax return.”

www.foxbusiness.com...

If the congress pot energy in getting rid of this 95 dollar fine, instead of shutting down the gov, it would go away
edit on 6-10-2013 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

So it is a fine?
Anyhow, it's not 'just' a $95 dollar fine.
From the horse's mouth:

The fee in 2014 is 1% of your yearly income or $95 per person for the year, whichever is higher. The fee increases every year. In 2016 it is 2.5% of income or $695 per person, whichever is higher.

Source

Notice the fine increases by over 600% in two years?
Even then though, it's still cheaper than being on their plan, at least for me.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Exactly, what's your point? It's still a tax. A tax that the person gets nothing in return for paying, except a mandate to buy insurance or pay a tax.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

ThichHeaded

The only problem is nobody can get on to register because they system is so screwed up..

The OP still has not shown proof any of these people were helped through Obamacare...
edit on 10/6/2013 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

But the things these people have said they have been helped with ARE currently available,and have been for a couple of years now. So to say that this is a clear hoax is in fact, inaccurate.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

Really man? We know where our tax dollars go, we aren't stupid... This isn't facebook..

Instead of changing this subject I want proof these people you out in the OP got help through obamacare...

if not tell us you lied and this crap can go in the hoax bin and you possibly banned..

link   
let's get the fine straight.

It's $95/person, with a cap of $285, or 1% of family income, whichever is higher. the folks most likely to be bitten by this plan are the middle class so, figure the fine for a middle class person will be more like $750-$1,500

That $95 crap is misleading.

The only people paying $95 are those making less than $9,500 and guess what? They aren't filing tax returns so they won't have an issue with the health care anyway.

link   
loved it so much I said it twice

edit on 6-10-2013 by Crakeur because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

IS ANYONE ON THIS FORUM EVER OBLIGATED TO PROOVE THE VERACITY OF ALL THE STATEMENTS THAT APPEAR ON ANY SITE THEY LINK TO?

NO!

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Oh so it's not a hoax, it's just propaganda. Thanks for clearing that up for us.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Having watched and actually read all of the law, Obamacare or the Affordable healthcare Act, the following can be stated:

The law is a good idea. The very notion of ensuring that all people in this country has access to healthcare without going bankrupt for paying for procedure is a good idea in its concept, along with offering health care for those who have pre-existing conditions, such as diabetes, is also a good idea as well. However, the law, no matter how noble the intentions and sentiments that those who would support it, or pushed it on the people, is a bad law, poorly written and even worse when it comes to the implementation of such.
The problems that are in this law that were evident from the very get go. The way that it was passed borderlines on criminal, and even the very politicians who did vote for it, chances are did not read what all was in it. There were additions and amendments that had absolutely nothing to do with healthcare, added onto the bill to be voted and made into law. To make matters worse is that the very politicians who voted for and pushed this law turned around and gave out vouchers to some companies to allow for them not to participate. But the greatest insult to the general population that has come around since the passing of this law, companies, both big and small, have been coming out since the passing of the law, all stating the same thing. But the one thing that is the ultimate slap in the face to the people, where the very people in power are deciding not to go with the new health care law.
That last part, above all, should be a roar of silence that speaks volumes to the country. If a law maker is willing to fight for and pass a law, then they should have the common decency to abide by and fall under the same category as the law. If they do not go through and fall under the same law, then it is either the law maker is breaking the law or it is a bad law and all should seek to have it removed.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

it's not a hoax. It's a marketing plan. It's staged photos of people who they are claiming have benefitted from the 2010 plan but, notice how they throw those obama keywords at you in large letters, like CHANGE?

Those signs were written by marketing people.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

Here yes...

See this is a conspiracy site.. Therefore when you make a point you have to back it up 110% because otherwise you have people like me siting its a hoax... Which it probably is considering your being so defensive and you are showing anything to say otherwise...

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Star for you . . . Great summary of the absurdity of this program and why people should be fighting against it.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

MsAphrodite

Exactly, what's your point? It's still a tax. A tax that the person gets nothing in return for paying, except a mandate to buy insurance or pay a tax.

My point is, you are not supposed to get anything in return for paying a penalty tax. It's not the same thing as sales tax or income tax. Hence, the term "penalty" tax. It's like the penalty tax you pay for withdrawing your 401(k) funds before reaching retirement. Not everyone pays it -- only those who break the rules of the 401(k).

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Crakeur

it's not a hoax. It's a marketing plan. It's staged photos of people who they are claiming have benefitted from the 2010 plan but, notice how they throw those obama keywords at you in large letters, like CHANGE?

I never said it wasn't marketing

link   

Willtell
reply to post by beezzer

You also pay for the drones that kill children. Does that bother you?

I've written extensively on my disgust for drones. Do your homework, you silly person, before you accuse.

We know you don't give a dam about starving children in America or that many of them die because they have no health insurance, but I wonder how you feel that your precious tax money is going to MURDER!
DO YOU RANT AND RAVE ABOUT THAT?
DO YOU LOOSE ANY SLEEP OVER THAT?
edit on 6-10-2013 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

Can I get you another cup of "angry"?

link   

kaylaluv

MsAphrodite

My point is, you are not supposed to get anything in return for paying a penalty tax. It's not the same thing as sales tax or income tax. Hence, the term "penalty" tax. It's like the penalty tax you pay for withdrawing your 401(k) funds before reaching retirement. Not everyone pays it -- only those who break the rules of the 401(k).

Which is it, penalty or tax?
Taxes go to pay for something, so what does this pay for?

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

I also think the law is flawed. I would prefer a single payer. Points:

1. The GOP doesn’t really care whether it is flawed, their concern is to scrap the law and not improve on the intention of the law.

2. In a few years, because of the ACA, any state will be able to have in it a single payer if they want it.

link   

Government's don't sell products. When a government seeks to push something it is called propaganda, not marketing. This is a propaganda campaign.

link   

Crakeur

Marketing a la V Lenin. Clever even if it IS reinventing the wheel... and effective as it is because we dont even teach the younger ones this in school. Imagine that!

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Thank you. I saw in the article links that at least one of the women (the uterus tumor lady) said she had been covered under the PCIP but I didn't know what that meant.

I still don't buy all the stories and am curious what they paid in premiums.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join