It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has the past decade stolen the soul of Americans? Case study of recent DC Immolation with precedents

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   

joeraynor
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Some people said they believed another man showed up with him and filmed it all on a tripod and left. Perhaps that man is going to release a statement in a week.

Or maybe not.

Or maybe he was made up.

Or the man with the tripod is in custody and we will never know anything.
ITA that this event is being buried by TPTB.
No reason his identity isn't known by now.
edit on 8-10-2013 by someoneinnyc because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Witnesses say he had set up a tripod to film his self-immolation. They say that before he killed himself he was yelling about voting rights. The man on fire was black. In June, the US Supreme Court struck down key parts of the Voting Rights Amendment, proclaiming racial discrimination a thing of the past.

Link to Source: Al Jazeera

First time I've heard the story this way. Rest of article puts the event into a wider global context.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   

someoneinnyc

Witnesses say he had set up a tripod to film his self-immolation. They say that before he killed himself he was yelling about voting rights. The man on fire was black. In June, the US Supreme Court struck down key parts of the Voting Rights Amendment, proclaiming racial discrimination a thing of the past.

Link to Source: Al Jazeera

First time I've heard the story this way. Rest of article puts the event into a wider global context.

That is interesting to me. This is the first I have heard this explanation either. Al jazeera also tends to have rather high journalistic standards, so it stands a chance of being true.

The article also links to a NY Times article which explores the concept that the shutdown was actually something rigorously planned for years, and actually funded, as counterintuitive as that sounds.

www.nytimes.com...

If it is trickling all the way down to the Times, they really didn't cover their bases.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by GrandHerecy

I'll share my manna when the stores go dry...but toilet paper, your on your own.

It won't take long after the, "power outage," for a lot of pets to be, "missing." What do you know about dog barbecue?

Welcome to the FALL of 2013 buahahahahahaha 2+0+1+3... the year of many overlapping "problems," CULminating.

Have you ever shot a public camera with a couple paintballs?

Ever practiced running cell phones off a private network?

Ever communicate with neighbors in morse code?

Ever caught a bird by putting crumbs on a blanket and laying under it?

Ever raised fish and rabbits inside?

Have you ever gone for 2 days without food while being armed?

What do you know about modified rabies that is airborn?

Ever duplicated a U.N. Uniform and played pretend peacekeeper?

Ever reprogrammed a UAV or UGV ?

What do you know about having women shave they're heads so that, "peacekeepers," can't drag them by their hair and won't be as tempted to rape them?

The ZWOs plans keep failing because we tell it to... but that only postpones the inevitable, which is ALWAYS death and destruction for those who refuse to heed the warnings and repent. The first death is not 1/1,000,000,000 the torment that the second death is (hell.)

8 But I will spare some, for some of you will escape the sword when you are scattered among the lands and nations. Then in in the nations where they have been carried captive, those who escape will remember me -- how I have grieved by their adulterous hearts, which have turned away from me, and by their eyes, which have lusted after their idols. They will loath themselves for the evil they have done and for all their detestable practices. And they will know that I am the Lord; I did not threaten in vain to bring this calamity on them....

Doom has come upon you -- you who dwell in the land...I am about to pour out my wrath on you and spend my anger against you; I will not look at you with pity or spare you; I will repay you according to your conduct and repay you for all your detestable practices among you.....

....Outside is the sword, inside are plague and famine; those in the country will die by the sword, and those in the city will be devoured by famine and plague... their silver and gold will not be able to save them in the day of the Lord's wrath...

...I will hand it all over as plunder to foreigners and as loot to the wicked of the earth, and they will defile it... I will bring the most wicked of the nations to take possessions of their houses;

Ezekiel 7 (as a history lesson / parallel)

edit on 8-10-2013 by StopThaZionistWorldOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by joeraynor

There was another American that did this a few years back. Maybe two previous cases, but I know one other for certain, and it was within the last ten years or so.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

KellyPrettyBear

We are so electronically tethered and electronically pacified
that if someday the electricity goes out, I think the western
world would just sit down and start crying in confusion.

KPB

I agree 110%!! Everyone say's "Oh if the power went out there would be chaos and rioting in the streets, civil unrest and violence." I think before we would even get to that point we would see people curled up in the fetal position, rocking back and forth and sobbing because the power went out in the middle of their tweet or facebook update!! Seriously! The chaos would be hundreds of thousands of people running around with their phones in their outstretched arms searching for a "signal", bumping into others and not even bothering to say "excuse me"!

I have seen people who are in the same room text each other, every time I'm at the store I see people talking or texting or whatever and they don't even acknowledge the cashier! My own children laugh hysterically when they "slaughter" their enemy in whatever video game they're playing. And most disturbing of all for me at the moment, I am the one who is informing everyone I talk to about Mr. John Constantino (the man whose actions Friday inspired this thread) because even as of today, so few people even know what happened!!!

Yeah, our souls are mostly gone, but stolen? Not so sure that's the right word, especially when you see the hoards of people in line for the latest iPhone. You can't "steal" something that is handed over eagerly. *sigh*

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Yes this is troubling. I haven't been to utube, but why is this not a national story with a film of it.For political reasons a man deliberately sits himself on fire .

Did he leave a note who was he.Was his his house raided and all of his inner most thoughts brought to life or any mention of it at all, that is, who he was. I don;t care if he was a right or a left man of convictions, that does not seems not to matter. what I believe matters is that the MSM and the Rt. wing talking circle did not touch this story.

I have to wonder why.
I think The MSM believe we are a nation of lemmings and this act scares the 'f'' out of them. We are a nation of of strong moral character and have a long fuse. The 1percenters know this, hell they know to keep us divided. Take for example the truckers trying to shut down the gov. because they are over regulated. Don't they know if it wasn't for regulations our highways would be filled with Mexican drivers on meth cranking out 54 hr. shifts.

We are confused but the truth always comes at least I hope so.

May heaven welcome him

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

darkbake

Klassified
None of us knows at this point why this man did this. We have a few gestures to go on, and that's all. IF his reasoning was to make a point about the state of our country, as the OP has postulated, then it is insulting to this mans memory to make it a partisan issue.

There could have been reasons behind it, and the reasons could have been investigated by reporters, but the reporters chose not to pursue it. That says as much about what is going on as anything.

It could be that there is no story. But as you suggest maybe not.

But I have to know what this was all about before ascribing any sort of anything to it.

The song "Pardon Me" does come to mind here but still in this man case no note that we know of yet.

What I feel really bad about is when I hear of someone tossing themselves in front of a car or truck out on the freeway. Not a political stamen there, just a commentary on desperation and what life can become for some people out there trapped in who knows what. A lifetime of rejection, making what they see as an inescapable mess of their lives and any number of painful scenarios. Just decided not to give it another shot or another moments time.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by IrishCream

So his name is John Constantino. I am glad we now know his name. It looks like the family attorney is now saying that he was "mentally ill" and that no political statement was intended.

Perhaps that statement is for the benefit of the family, who don't want a circus, or it is an attempt to diffuse the situation.

To me, to choose THAT spot, the national mall of all places, and to salute the capital... it is an astronomical impossibility to me that such an act was not a politically conscious statement in any form. It is not something you do accidently.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

What this man did was a VERY powerful act. An Act without words known to us.

So, like yourself, we tag his act with our personal views of what bothers us most about this country... and wonder, is it this bad?

Sometimes when we look around us it is not. Go to work everyday, people smile, commerce and life continue... Obamacare among other very important issues (like our government funding terrorism abroad) seem like nothing but small bumps many days, bumps we can overcome somehow, someday....

But then someone does such a powerful thing, and we are forced to ask, is it worse than we keep telling ourselves? Are we escaping from the real reality? Are we ignoring the depth of what is happening in our country?

Those are hard questions to ask, and those questions involve much inner speculation as we, for the first time have to wake up and face the truth...

It is not that people don't care, they do.... but what is required of us is to think.... that doesn't always happen out-loud. Not real thinking anyway...

It's easy to be outraged at someone else. Quite another when the finger is pointed at YOU, can we be outraged at ourselves? I hope we are capable of that, because only then is when we begin to change.

So I begin, I am outraged at myself, for I helped cause the death of this man, I helped make our country so bad that someone, anyone, would be so desperate as to the state of affairs in this country that they would light themselves on fire...

I am responsible... WE are responsible. No partisanship here.. just "WE the People"
edit on 8-10-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

NewAgeMan

The American people are ripe for a quiet revolution. Someone with the wherewithal needs to form a viable, new third party, call it something like Progressive Conservative (PC) or something like that, a Party which will shrink the size of the Govt including the Military Industrial Complex (transforming the military as a strategic strike force) and de-militarize the bureaucracy and work to restore the Spirit of Liberty which is the hope of the Nation. Obama didn't do it but it CAN be done.

Americans have had the choice of voting for many parties and many candidates but they have always been manipulated to vote "for the lesser of two evils" because otherwise "its a wasted vote". Quote-Unquote straight from the horses mouth.

The system isn't "geared" for more than the two party system and that too simply HAS to be changed.

The unusually long and expesive campaiging system is to blame. If small parties and indepedant candidates cant afford to finance their campaign, then they dont have a snowball chance in hell of getting their message out. There is no law that requires MSM to give all parties and candidates equal coverage and in fact small parties and independants tend to get less than bare minimum coverage. Usually they host them a few months prior to election periods ONCE and they are quickly forgotten, yet we here democrats and republicans CONSTANTLY!

Everyone knows that the whole lot of the existing cronies ought to be thrown out on their asses, and they're prepared to do it, so give the American people a real option that's what I say.

edit on 7-10-2013 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

Everyone blames vote fraud but its actually the campaigning system and a rigged debate commission. Its also the minimalistic and skewed polls that only mention D and R by name and have a third section called "other". If you dont average 15% in the polls then the debate commission prevents your party and its candidates from debating.

ITS RIGGED TO KINGDOME COME but nevertheless come ballot dropping one can still vote anything they want.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Perceived repression has been the downfall of many countries. I think that's why you don't see it everywhere. I think the seeds of mistrust are pretty well sown though and many see how we are spoon fed information now. How did any ever come to trust paid actors on TV? It just adds to the wood pile.

I read a story earlier that said Republicans had dropped their requests to delay Obamacare.. What is really going on? I bet its a lack of action on Iran, Syria et all. Maybe this guy was a threat, another Manchurian Candidate..

edit on 8-10-2013 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

OpinionatedB

What this man did was a VERY powerful act. An Act without words known to us.

So, like yourself, we tag his act with our personal views of what bothers us most about this country... and wonder, is it this bad?

Sometimes when we look around us it is not. Go to work everyday, people smile, commerce and life continue... Obamacare among other very important issues (like our government funding terrorism abroad) seem like nothing but small bumps many days, bumps we can overcome somehow, someday....

But then someone does such a powerful thing, and we are forced to ask, is it worse than we keep telling ourselves? Are we escaping from the real reality? Are we ignoring the depth of what is happening in our country?

Those are hard questions to ask, and those questions involve much inner speculation as we, for the first time have to wake up and face the truth...

It is not that people don't care, they do.... but what is required of us is to think.... that doesn't always happen out-loud. Not real thinking anyway...

It's easy to be outraged at someone else. Quite another when the finger is pointed at YOU, can we be outraged at ourselves? I hope we are capable of that, because only then is when we begin to change.

So I begin, I am outraged at myself, for I helped cause the death of this man, I helped make our country so bad that someone, anyone, would be so desperate as to the state of affairs in this country that they would light themselves on fire...

I am responsible... WE are responsible. No partisanship here.. just "WE the People"
edit on 8-10-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

I quoted the entire text of your post because I feel it should be read again! I join you in your outrage!! I am outraged with myself for doing nothing when I first "saw" the signs of our deteriorating country! I am outraged with myself for NOT setting an example of activism that my children could follow! I am outraged that my inaction played a part in Mr. Constantino's state of despair! I am heartsick to the point of tasting bile because I chose to express my views and opinions in an online forum, yet never once leave the comfort of my home to do a damn thing about it!

As many here predicted, the action taken by John is being blamed on a "long battle with mental illness" by the family's spokesman/lawyer. The family is asking the media to respect their right to privacy. This does not sit well with me AT ALL! Something's just not right, period! ALL of these recent events are being blamed on "mental illness", well then mental illness is the new Black Plague! That's all I can even say.

Oh, here's a link to the article where I got the information: New Jersey Man Identified
edit on 8-10-2013 by IrishCream because: to add link

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Debtors Prisons do really exist:

www.mrcustodycoach.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

ITA
IMO the family was paid off and scripted.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

I'll be honest, this is the first I've heard of the event. I kind of want to press the reset button though in some ways. I think I'm prepared for that reality, although the timing could be better. I'm sure there is no perfect time for a reset but if Americans could get through it the result could be better in the long run. Granted America is a much larger country but Iceland was able to hold their politicians and their corrupt banks accountable and basically restructure their political and economic policies.

At the same time would I be willing to do something about it? Yes, but I'm not sure what to do by myself and I don't know anyone that would march with me or do anything with me so I would need to find a way to do something about it by myself and I really just haven't though of anything that is realistic and would have any significant impact. How do you get the avalanche started?

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join