It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monuments and parks weren't closed during the LAST shutdown.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Krazysh0t
reply to post by Indigo5

I had a feeling this article was a lie. Political sensationalism is getting extreme on both ends of the spectrum and the mass media is buying into it all to rile everyone up. We need to stop dividing on the issues and unite. Our country is tearing itself apart.

What we need is to quit spreading lies!!!

Second line.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

Yes this is true as well. I recently came to a revelation about my political thinking. I realized that I was getting too swept up into the partisan BS. I am seeing that many on ATS from both the left and the right are doing the same thing. I've decided to take a step back from it all and take a few breaths. If ATS is getting this bad, this can only show how much worse off the country is becoming. Like I said we are tearing our country apart. We truly may not survive as a country for much longer if this keeps up. The last time our nation was this bitter and divided, we ended up warring with ourselves.
edit on 3-10-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Krazysh0t
reply to post by Flatfish

The last time our nation was this bitter and divided, we ended up warring with ourselves.

I couldn't agree more!

I've heard several posters here on ATS ask the question; "what would another american civil war look like?" Well I'm here to tell you that it looks exactly like what we're witnessing right now and the fact that we haven't resorted to an armed conflict is the very thing that makes us different from the rest of the world. We settle our disputes in the voting booth as opposed to the battlefield.

Problem here is that we went to the voting booth, one side lost and they are currently refusing to accept that fact and are instead attempting to force their ideology on the rest of us even if it means manufacturing and propagating endless lies in order to scare and convince the ignorant into supporting their views.

Now, after 44 futile attempts to repeal the very law that was the single biggest issue in the last election, they are using extortion in an attempt to force the american people into accepting their ideology despite the fact that we just rejected it with the re-election of President Obama.

I'm a democrat who voted for Reagan as well as other republicans over the years when I felt they best represented my views but I will tell you this and you can take it to the bank. I will never again vote republican for any position whatsoever in any branch of government whether it be local, state and/or federal. At this point, I wouldn't vote for a republican dog catcher and I'm hearing the same sentiment coming from republicans across this nation. This little stunt will spell the end of the tea party wing of the conservative movement and if the republican base doesn't stand up and reject it too, it may very well spell the end of the republican party as a viable political force in the future.
edit on 3-10-2013 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Well it is nice to see that this has already been outed as a hoax. I was in DC at the time and everything was closed and people and school groups were on the news that had traveled all this way could not go anywhere. Of course that last shut down was about the budget and not some idiots in the house having a fit. With the rest of GOP and FOX turning on them we might just be seeing the final nail in coffin of the Tea Party. The only question is will they bring down the rest of the GOP with them.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Obama closes the Lincoln memorial once a year for some reason.
It's some plot involving money Ibelieve. I fforget the details now.
Closingall of these parks amd monuments serves no purpose other than to upset all the indignant Democratic Americans who have no clue it's all just propaganda.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

thisguyrighthere
Beyond the parks there are all these .gov websites that are perfectly fine and accessible but somebody had to redirect them to a "There's a shutdown so you can't see what's already here" page.

So much waste. It costs nothing to leave it be and walk away. It costs something to pointlessly redirect.

I'm sorry, but do you work in the IT industry? Do you have any idea how much it costs to operate a website that sees a million hits per hour? Do you have any clue how much the hardware costs are, what it costs to staff a NOC team to monitor for issues, hackers and problems?

Going off of your totally ignorant response, i'm going to say that you're one of the people that thinks everything runs on hamsters high on pixie dust spinning wheels to keep the internet running.

Let's look at just bandwidth costs.

Rackspace.com is one of the largest providers on the west coast.

$0.12/GB per outgoing GB of data. What's a GB? Well thats 1073741824 bytes - or 1048576 Kilobytes

ATS's front page is 439.97KB. So every 2383.29 hits on ATS' front page costs $0.12. Now let's scale that up to government sizes. 1 million hits per day - I'm going to round up here as government regulations mean they can't use images/content from external systems. They have to serve all of it.

500KB per page load * 1,000,000,000 hits per day = 500,000,000,000KB of data served. Converted to GB = 476837GB per day. 476837GB * $0.12 = $57,220.46 per day if only 1 million people look at just the front page on A SINGLE GOVERNMENT WEBSITE.

That doesn't even include the electricity costs, manpower, internal systems, etc.

Protip: Shut the **** up before you make yourself look even more retarded.
edit on 3-10-2013 by Evil_Santa because: (no reason given)

"Hurr hurr, i know where the powr button is on mah cumputer, and how-to derp the pop-out coffee cup holder, so i is cumptorz smert!"
edit on 3-10-2013 by Evil_Santa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

MrSpad
Well it is nice to see that this has already been outed as a hoax.

It doesn't matter. If the same folks were capable of believing that the President was born in Kenya years on end...many still do...how can we expect them to acknowledge simple facts or truth, history, math, science et al.? They have no interest. Those cognitive processes that demand accuracy and truth are absent in some folks. It's a neurological nether realm, where ideological passions determine reality and truth.
edit on 3-10-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
This is the picture most often shown to illustrate the '95 shut-down. The info office is closed but a family with a stroller seem to be easily able to access the memorial. It gives the impression that, while the monuments had no services and were technically "shut down", there was nothing preventing people from walking around and enjoying the memorials.

Indigo5

A sign hangs in the window of an information booth Saturday Dec. 16, 1995 at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington announcing the temporary closure of the attraction due to the government shutdown. Parts of the federal government were ordered shut down Saturday as President Clinton blamed the Republican Congress for attempting to force unacceptable cuts in programs affecting the lives of children, the elderly and the poor.(AP Photo/Mark Wilson)

This second picture seems a little more dubious IMO.

In this Wednesday, Nov. 15, 1995, file photo, U.S. Park Service Police Officer P.G. Carroll stands in front of closed signs at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, during a partial shutdown of the federal government. There have been 17 government shutdowns since 1976, ranging in length from one to 21 days. (AP Photo/Charles Tasnadi, File)

photos.mercurynews.com...

photos.mercurynews.com...

They can put any caption they want under any picture and have most people believe it. I just want to know what is that strange, temporary wall built up the middle of the steps? That doesn't look like something that's normally there and if the gubment was shutdown and not spending money, where did the money come from to put that wall up?

I think a more probable explanation might be that the 2nd pic was taken during some renovations of the monument when it may have actually been closed to the public. The MSM is known for doing stuff like that. Until I see some proof that the second pic is actually from the '95 shutdown, I'm not buying it.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

FortAnthem
... Looking at the barricades they put up, they seem to be quite expensive looking and not something that they just had lying around. ...

Huh???
you mean these?

They seem pretty standard looking to me

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Os(b)ama prolly thinks the American people will rise up with furious anger and put his political enemies down- cause its their fault. It's a manipulation ( not a terribly good one) just like everything else he does to get the drones to back his harebrained schemes.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
It's funny how it's like when you are younger and there is always that brat that takes the football home because his team is loosing and ruins it for everybody, yeh Obama you big spoiled brat

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join