It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US spy chief: Shutdown 'damaging'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Awwwww that's a shame.

Director of National Intelligence James Clapper told a Senate panel that an estimated 70% of intelligence workers had been placed on unpaid leave.

Also, the head of the US electronic spy agency said morale had been devastated.

The US government closed non-essential operations on Tuesday after Congress failed to reach a new budget deal.
BBC

Catch that? This all important and intrusive spy complex tracking and recording everything everyone does everywhere is non-essential.

But what about the al-quaders!!!!

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Well, from what I understand, the president has the power to decide who and what is essential. It's all on his shoulders, as it should be.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Now if they obviated all of DHS/FEMA, they'd really be on to something. I knew a number of those folks when I lived back east, and I've never known a crowd to take so much pride in f**king off.

Having said that, anything that effectively hamstrings domestic surveillance cannot be a bad thing.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
What is damaging to America is people who hold positions of authority who don't tell the truth, this man being a prime example, I love the USA and have many friends and family there, but this guy embarrasses their country.

This man lied to congress regarding the surveillance of American citizens and yet still holds his position!

And today, I read . . .

Leahy, a Democrat who is drafting legislation to reform US government surveillance, pressed Alexander and Clapper on the accuracy of their previous testimony.

"Both of you have raised concerns that the media reports about the government's surveillance programs have been incomplete, inaccurate, misleading," Leahy said. "But I worry that we're still getting inaccurate and incomplete statements from the administration."

He drew attention to repeated claims by the intelligence agencies that 54 terrorist attacks had been thwarted by two particular programs.

"That is plainly wrong, but we still get it in letters to members of Congress, [and] we get it in statements," Leahy said. "These weren't all plots, and they weren't all thwarted. The American people are getting left with inaccurate reflection of the NSA's programs."

Alexander then conceded that the 54 examples were "not all plots" and only 13 had a nexus in the US. He also admitted there were only "one or possibly two" cases of terrorist activity that would not have been prevented "but for" section 215 of the Patriot Act, which authorises bulk phone record collection.

The Guardianwww.theguardian.com...

I don't particularly like being rude about others, but he isn't showing a great deal of trust or intelligence. The fact that he still holds this position, makes the rest of America look unintelligent unless (it makes you wonder if he has blackmail material on everyone?).

God Bless America

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by oxford

In his defense what type of person would be best to head a shady group of people without faces who operate outside the confines of ethics, morality and the law?

A lying, scheming, cheater.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

70% seems very high and i would guess it will vary from agency to agency and all such agencies are going to do as much as they can to maintain their funding so 70% is probably a exaggeration

I would guess that many are personal sectaries, janitors, cleaners, drivers, cooks, admin staff and all the rest of it.

the problem is that he is right, even the "non-essential" staff are needed for the "essential" staff to do their jobs right and to the best of their ability so even a 30% reduction would compromise the effectiveness of any given intelligence agency and thus could possibly also compromise national security.

But please, dont worry people I am sure they can still read your emails if they need to

edit on 2-10-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

For those that would like to see Clapper live... Sounds like a set-up for an attack...

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I believe that it is a minority of people that are like that within all organisations (its just a shame when they step on everyone to get to the top), I have faith that they have some good people who believe in the country America and who are really there to protect it.

I don't for one minute believe Snowden was alone in the way he thought, but most are probably intimidated and frightened by the very monster they have created.

When change starts to come from within, and guided by the conscience of the individuals involved, I am sure there will be much relief to align with greater and higher principles, not only on an individual level but for the greater good of America and the world.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

tracehd1

For those that would like to see Clapper live... Sounds like a set-up for an attack...

All conspiracy aside the game of blackmailing the people for money is tried and true.

When they want your money their job is sold as the most important job in the world.

If you dont give more money to the NSA some guy named Al Kayda is going to attack you.
If you dont give more money to the schools all your kids will grow up to be dullard prostitutes.
If you dont give more money to the police all your dullard prostitute children will be murdered.
If you dont give more money to the works department you'll all be driving horse and buggies down dirt trails.
If you dont give more money to the fed the grass will all die and the sun will never rise again.

Maybe it's a false flag set up. Maybe he's just trying to shake you down for your lunch money. Either way it's unacceptable.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by oxford

I hope you're right.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

You me and the rest of the world I'm sure.

2nd line God bless america

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Klapper is a man out of time. He actually uses his lesser employees as an example of possible recruitment for terrorists if they have no money, that's pure showbiz scare mongering, almost as if for instance Snowden didn't exist, since Snowden is considered an 'Enemy of the state' not that I would agree with that, since that is pure showbiz also.
The intelligence services went the extra mile and were catched big time. Snowden could probably have made X amounts of money personally just from hacking the internet, but he chose to go the other way and basically fecked up his whole life. He is the real 'Hero' The likes of Klapper are just wheeler dealers of the lowest order, who really care not about people, just power and subjecation and the easier the better.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

From the outside it looks like they are using intelligence collection to serve corporate interests, it is well known some of those Congress folk make five percent more than the hedge fund managers.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Ironic... The only way to get the NSA to comply with the law is to close the government.. At least people can make calls / send/read emails without them being listened in on / read by government agents.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

oxford
reply to post by smurfy

From the outside it looks like they are using intelligence collection to serve corporate interests, it is well known some of those Congress folk make five percent more than the hedge fund managers.

Of that there is not much doubt, part of the point of my post. Nor much doubt either there are personal money making spin offs because of what they do. Clapper is just Bilko without the sense of humour.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Quick! Send all your sexting pics now before they get back!!!!!

new topics

top topics

join