It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI raids alleged online drug market Silk Road; arrests owner

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SadistNocturne

That is what I meant about any mistake that compromises how TOR works. Sorry... Where I think a mistake of using an identifiable ID down there or going through TOR to the open net and then using a real login with personal info has always been theoretically fatal for security? Now everyone can simply assume it IS an unrecoverable mistake as they're watching. No biggy, as you note as well...tracking itself hasn't gotten easier if those stupid mistakes aren't made.

It's why I don't go down there much for what is worth it though. It's honest hard work to be 100% perfect, 100% of the time while doing something. Security down there demands it, IMO.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by SadistNocturne

That is what I meant about any mistake that compromises how TOR works. Sorry... Where I think a mistake of using an identifiable ID down there or going through TOR to the open net and then using a real login with personal info has always been theoretically fatal for security? Now everyone can simply assume it IS an unrecoverable mistake as they're watching. No biggy, as you note as well...tracking itself hasn't gotten easier if those stupid mistakes aren't made.

It's why I don't go down there much for what is worth it though. It's honest hard work to be 100% perfect, 100% of the time while doing something. Security down there demands it, IMO.

Woohoo!!! We agree!!! I believe we deserve a beer!!!!

- SN

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Arbitrageur

ChuckNasty
Think they used BitCoin to track his location?
I wouldn't be surprised. I don't see how anyone can expect to keep 9.5 million bitcoins anonymous.

This was just a matter of time...I don't know what took so long, or why they had to make 100 purchases, when a handful seemingly would have been enough.

roadgravel
reply to post by Arbitrageur

This was just a matter of time...I don't know what took so long, or why they had to make 100 purchases, when a handful seemingly would have been enough.

They probably wanted to know how well, quality wise, the operation was. Maybe tracking supply also.

Yeah, I think the second answer is probably closer. Remember-- while this entire operation was begun and organized by one guy (allegedly) the actual goods were sold by many, many different suppliers all over the world. As such, making an order from one single supplier would give them a very limited amount of data. Probably one of the many reasons this investigation was so frustrating for them.

On the other hand, by placing an order from a given supplier, they would be able to see:

1- Roughly where the item shipped from

2- Quality / purity of products (and don't forget this is now physical evidence against a given supplier)

3- Stealth shipping methods being used by different suppliers.

I actually suspect number three could be a big one. I've never ordered anything from there, but I have read quite a bit about it, and from what I gather, different suppliers would use different methods of shipping the product, sometimes quite stealthy and tricky. By ordering from multiple large suppliers, they would not only get the general area it was shipping from (and thus probably where that supplier was located) but would also get an idea for their stealth methods. Which could help them with future investigations against that supplier, or in similar operations... or who knows, maybe even just tips to pass on to the postmaster general.

Also, those of you talking about guns being sold-- from what I read, silk road allowed sales of guns when they first opened, but haven't allowed that for some time now. They never allowed advertising hits, or anything like that. And yes-- I've peeked at the Hidden Wiki too, back when I first heard of Tor, etc. And yes, there is a lot of creepy stuff there. But I almost guarantee you that a lot of it is probably fake-- a joke, or a scam. Doubly so for the hitmen thing. Hell of a way to make money, though. Advertise such a listing, and as soon as you have your first down-payment in anonymous cryptocurrency (and we are of course talking thousands of dollars for one order) you cut and run.

A few of them are probably LEO.

I wonder if anyone ever falls for that crap.

Then again, after reading all the papers related to the DPR case.... maybe some do.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I stopped using tor months ago. If you want to go offline you must be outside the internet. Dropboxes are fun. Mesh communities can be best soon. Besides that just a bore.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by webedoomed

Tor is.....boring?? That doesn't even make any sense. That's like saying Internet Explorer is boring. How exactly can a search engine be boring?? Besides, the information found in the deep web blows the doors off of limited sites like ATS as there's never any censorship.

You can even have your own site.....FOR FREE. What a lacking post that was dude.

Id also like to correct some points. First, the feds didn't seize 6.9 million bitcoins like peeps are posting here. Try reading the whole article before you post nonsense.

TOR is completely safe if used properly. In fact, since its open source, anyone can try to crack it, but it has so many nodes, all the computers in the world hooked together couldn't do it in a million years.

Ulbricht got caught because of his posts on the web using his real identity...more specifically, he had a Google Plus account in which he asked for programming help running SR. The code found on that forum as a reply to Ulbricht was found on his laptop. The NSA didng crack anything...it was just stupidity.

The salr of guns, CC info, and hitmen hasn't been allowed on SR for almost three years now. So stating that he found a hitmans services via SR is a blatant lie.

Closing SR has ramifications beyond just drugs and whether it was rigt or wrong to sell/buy them. SR offers people who can't normally afford prescription meds in the real world the opportunity to purchase them for a fraction of ghe cost. One example was a chemo medication which costs $500 per pill using insurance but could be had for $75 on SR.

SR used an Ebay type system of customer ratings so you knew whether the product was good or not before ordering. SRr also had an escrow system to stop scammers as well.

Now, peeps that once used SR for illicit drugs will be forced to go to seedy areas to buy a questionable product which just puts more people in harms way. More assaults and robberies to be sure.

For those people here who tout that the gubment is too intrusive....where are you now??? What friggin right does anyone have to say what I can put into MY body anyway? If you believe in the founding fathers, then you must believe my point as well.

All you morons who know nothing about the deep web, SR, and other sites like it, should refrain from having an opinion....well, at least from posting it. It makes you look stupid.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by imasheep

You have a reading comprehension issue.

Please try again.

To add: Tor is not "completely safe". Keep thinking that, kid.
edit on 8-10-2013 by webedoomed because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join