It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Animal That Touches This Lethal Lake Turns to Stone

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

NewAgeMan
reply to post by Volund

Reminded me of this song..

: D

Thank-you for sharing that music NewAgeMan, its on topic and even "Rocks"

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
LOL Medusa's Blood lake!

Wasn't it in that story when Medusa got killed he threw her body into a lake, Maybe it was this lake her dead body was thrown into?

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
When fishing it, all that's required is a roll of paper

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I learned about the lake only this week from Tickld

edit on 3-10-2013 by excelents because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Volund

Really cool and weird...

Wonder what process takes place for animal to change like this...

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Volund

Throw in the politicians and the bankers.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
That is way too cool!!!

I want one of those statues! The creepy vulture one would be awesome in the living room.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Does not work that way.
Animals need to be in the water for a while before turning like that (they were already dead, probably for drinking the water), not "touching the water, turning into stone".
As said in that article they were placed in lively positions by someone to get attention.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Star and flag my man; Absolutely stunning. I'm also getting al lot af attention on Facebook because of this...

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Not to ruin everyone's fun, but the photographer acknowledges he posed dead animals that had mummified due to the effects of naptha found in the lake. Naptha is what the Egyptians used in their mummification process, and the lake in question is named 'Lake Naptha'. It's being misrepresented across the web these animals died as they appear in the photographs, i.e. 'turned to stone'.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
As a few others have mentioned -- animals are not instantaneously turned to stone. During months of heavy evaporation the alkalinity in the lake increases dramatically. This can kill animals who are not used to the harsh environment or are over-exposed, but can also petrify remains. If you read about the lake, a species of fish lives near the hot spring estuaries and less alkaline parts of the lake -- and of course, there are the flamingos.

The pictures are neat, but for those folks in the US, bogs can create a similar mummified effect -- but not calcification.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

mahatche

micpsi
This is a totally dishonest series of photos put together by a photographer for his book. They appear to depict dead birds turned into statues on branches of trees. In reality, he found their carcases lying about on the shore of a lake contaminated with sodium carbonate from volcanic ash. They had become preserved in the dry atmosphere after being poisoned. Then he stuck them into branches of dead trees to make them look like statues before photographing them in posed positions. This may be artistic, but it sure ain't honest photographic journalism!

Don't be deceived by the phony title of this story. It grabs attention, which the photographer no doubt wanted for his photos, but It's inaccurate.

How is it dishonest when the photographer admits as much? You know many of those nice up close images you see of insects are actually dead bugs too right? it's not uncommon or dishonest.
edit on 2-10-2013 by mahatche because: (no reason given)

The photographer said he posed them, nothing wrong with that. The one person sounds like they believe he killed em himself lol. What a joke.

So no humans got cemented lol, darn... Lol

The Bot

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
The scientific content is interesting and amazing but the reality is sad viewing this animals dead =/ I hope they died quickly and painlessly =~[

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Blackmarketeer
Not to ruin everyone's fun, but the photographer acknowledges he posed dead animals that had mummified due to the effects of naptha found in the lake. Naptha is what the Egyptians used in their mummification process, and the lake in question is named 'Lake Naptha'. It's being misrepresented across the web these animals died as they appear in the photographs, i.e. 'turned to stone'.

Lake Natron is not made from flamable Naptha to my knowledge, but that would be explosive...

edit on 3-10-2013 by Volund because: be nice

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
A lot of work to get awesome pics, GRATS

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by supermarket2012

That's exactly what I think. I tried looking for this online and there is mention that flamingos live in that Lake and it's their only source of water and food in that area, so I doubt animals turn to stone by just touching the water in the lake.

It is also strange that all the animals have almost perfect poses. It's still interesting nonetheless.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Title is a tad misleading....its not that they touch it and change to stone, they drown in it and then are washed ashore...or they have died and been submerged in the water for some time before being brought back to land.

Pretty crazy regardless.
edit on 4-10-2013 by AmberLeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Did not know a place like this existed, insane - interesting pictures

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join