It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Osborne Unveils Tough New Rules For Jobless

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

sickening isn't it,and rest assured abbot will have some scheme up his sleeve to make it even harder.....ive had a double whammy recently i have had to relocate to the queensland border from sydney to chase my kids because of a nutty ex who has lost my 3 and half year old son to docs(thats another story in itself)....anyway i was self employed in sydney and have no way of restarting my business up here for various reason...one of which is i am a landscaper and i have done my back in ... to rebuild here is too hard and getting that help is impossible not to mention the serious lack of work available here......its going to be a struggle but i have no choice but to put myself through uni and obtain a degree...lucky for me my previous horticultural studies will give me advance standing.....the dole is a joke and the chances of gaining normal employment at this point are slim to none especially with the hoops i have to jump through with docs,like weekly drug tests,i day of visitation per week,lawyer meetings,court visits....ive sold almost everything i own to stay above board so to speak,the dole just barely covers my rent....this system is designed to break people,but i ain't giving up yet i will fight with every drop of blood and sweat that i have.......

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   

pirhanna
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

For years I've been saying jobs not free money (w/ medical exceptions).
There's so much that needs to be done. So just have a jobs department instead of a welfare one.
Guarantee everyone a job instead of guarantee free money. But that would make too much sense for all parties involved, so scratch that, let's just keep the same debate going about giving money to the poor vs. taking it all away because there really aren't any other solutions.

I think its smart and could work. Right now people don't want to hire unemployed, only employed. So get unemployed working at anything, learning new skills and staying active. Welfare checks should subsidize pay, so businesses can get their labor cheap, and start thinking in terms of creating jobs. unemployed will have no gaps in resume.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I have been unemployed, 2009 off work and on the dole for 9 mths. Have been working since then and have just been told that my company is moving its operations to China.
So we will get a payout, but it wont last long and at 48 my job chances are getting slimmer.
And now the Libs are in power and Abbott is a muppet.
Might just have to get used to the lines at centrelink again.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by kudegras

Dont worry, all these fools who think this is a good idea...

They are going to create the USSE, United Soviet States of Europe, they will put you to work in a non capitalist form, give a meager paycheck and eliminate high paying jobs at the same time.

You people are fools.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by kudegras

Dont worry, all these fools who think this is a good idea...

They are going to create the USSE, United Soviet States of Europe, they will put you to work in a non capitalist form, give a meager paycheck and eliminate high paying jobs at the same time.

You people are fools.

...jobs...full stop...

...you know, that utopia of mechanised, robotised, computerised workforce?!...the only jobs that cannot be replaced with these are the political class...mmm...

Å99

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Perhaps a different approach ?

There seems to be a tacit acceptance that you need someone to offer you a job --I think that event is unlikely for you, and impossible for all who need work, and so I would abandon the idea completely, and direct my energy elsewhere.

It's up to you to find something you can do, that is of value to other people.
There is absolutely no end to the things people need, and if you get it right, workaholics will pay you to walk their dogs, plan their holidays, tend their garden, teach their children extra-curricular skills, many of the activities they would love to do if they weren't so busy.

Don't beat your head against the wall any more, and don't be demoralised by your "failure to do the impossible."
You have the brains, and the ability to learn the skills you'll need, and society is too messed-up to give you any help.
Depend on yourself -- I think you have all you need to survive.
And good luck.

mistersmith.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Why don't these bastard tories just do what they really want to do and put all the unemployed up against the wall and shoot them!

These tories are sociopaths of the highest order. They don't give a poo about anyone except themselves!!
The majority of people on welfare are starving to death any way. You only need to go to any high street and you will see the fat and the thin ... simple and the gaunt and the ill, who are just getting by. Terrible state of affairs and it is getting worse!!
I still feel ashamed and very embarrassed that these bastards were voted in again. I am angry, but then I think of the innocent that wouldn't know what a ballet paper looks like, let alone have the sense to vote for someone.

hx

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   

geobro

Lady_Tuatha
and lets be honest, those who don't want to work and who take advantage of the benefit system will find a way out of this ' going on the sick' or some other crap like that.
you do not have the doctors that i do 2 years ago i got my tablets stopped and will not get a sick note from the doctors they have been told not to give them out wtf .
i only received £12.50 a week because i was self employed now i get nothing so fxxx them .

sign off for a month then sign on again that will ruin their 2 year benefits plan as you are are considered a new claim .

Only thing wrong with that is your rent will be stopped then you will be in arrears. Who is going to pay the bus fare to go to the job centre every day or where the so called slave labour jobs are? This government is a complete joke. Millionaire MPs who think these schemes up should have to do the same for their own pay when they fall asleep in parliament !

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Personally, i do not have a problem with this idea. This is for long term unemployed only. Frankly, if you haven't found a job in 3 years of looking then you are not really looking properly - why should the rest of us subsidise you?

I accept that in a couple of areas of the UK this may be slightly more problematic in that there are areas where long term unemployment is a serious concern - maybe a special dispensation for these areas.

For the rest though, there is really no excuse to be on the dole for 3 years. If you don't want to work, fine. Just don't expect me to pay for you.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   

happinness
Why don't these bastard tories just do what they really want to do and put all the unemployed up against the wall and shoot them!

These tories are sociopaths of the highest order. They don't give a poo about anyone except themselves!!
The majority of people on welfare are starving to death any way. You only need to go to any high street and you will see the fat and the thin ... simple and the gaunt and the ill, who are just getting by. Terrible state of affairs and it is getting worse!!
I still feel ashamed and very embarrassed that these bastards were voted in again. I am angry, but then I think of the innocent that wouldn't know what a ballet paper looks like, let alone have the sense to vote for someone.

hx

What a load of trollocks...the majority of fat people I see in the high street are the unemployed mothers of 6 children to 6 different fathers, generally covered in tattoos, complete with cigarette hanging out of their mouths...go to their home and you'll see the 50" tv, complete with satellite system and all of their kids dressed in designer clothing..Yes I see skinny, gaunt people as well..standing in the queue at boots for their methadone fix, whilst selling each other weed and diazepam..

The bottom line of many of the issues is the massive influx of cheap eastern european labour...who brought them in? Yes, that would be the Labour party. Also the fact that we cannot live without our cheap goods imported from China, hence there is little in the way of manufacturing in the UK because everyone wants their cheap 50" tv's, laptops, gaming consoles etc and there is no way that the domestic market can compete with that.

So it all starts with the individual, are you prepared to sacrifice your standard of living to make the country as a whole stronger? Nah probably not, you just want to sit about and moan about the govt...always blame someone else, that's far easier.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   

woogleuk

Why should we (the taxpayer) pay for people to sit around on their arses drinking white cider and / or special brew?
Why should we fund smackdealer Bobs new 50" 3D plasma TV?

Why do the unemployed all get this BS from people, as if the unemployed can afford a drink, and as if they are all getting hammered everyday and laughing at the taxpayers for buying them all the booze, and if they can have a drink once in awhile, why not, other people do, it's called living life.
Sometimes a little drink can help one find relief from all the depression of unemployment.
A short time ago I was unemployed, I stopped buying beer, but I still acquired a drink somehow, every couple weeks or so, usually freebees, Dad's wine kit booze, generous brother.

And smack dealer Bob, he is self employed because there are no jobs and he found a way to make money and it's profitable because it's illegal.

Now, the boozer and the dealer are both products of bad government and rich parasites that suck the system dry. (free trade, outsourcing, corruption etc.)
If the unemployment rate was only 4%, you have a case here, but the unemployment rates are much higher than that in a lot of places.
Pick on the government, leave the little guy alone and stop blaming the poor dude who wants a drink for those that abuse the system. Does living life stop when the cash flow stops?

Have you ever experienced the joy of poverty?
If not shut up!
Not all the unemployed are looking to be parasites.

edit on 30-9-2013 by Toadmund because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-9-2013 by Toadmund because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

All I can say to that is you have obviously never lived in my town, where it is a lifestyle choice to drink cheap cider, smoke weed and snort mkat...then proceed to make a nuisance of yourself, urinating in the street, fighting, shouting

I live right in the town centre and am witness to this everyday...my neighbour is the best example of this type of behaviour, in fact as I am typing this his mates are all congregated in the close, all shouting and swearing, waiting for him to "open for business" I know that when I walk out of my front door, there will be a pool of urine, cigarette ends, burger king bags, and sadly this scene is repeated all over my area and many other areas throughout the UK

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by destination now

well destination now with that awesome attitude you could apply for a job with the thought police...u would be ushered in in a heartbeat

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   

These people are the minority. Those are the unemployable.

What about the unemployed that are not like that?
Just because one becomes unemployed doesn't mean they are going to come and piss and barf all over your sidewalk.
Most unemployed are just regular people in a cruel world.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   

hopenotfeariswhatweneed

well destination now with that awesome attitude you could apply for a job with the thought police...u would be ushered in in a heartbeat

What? The thought police? It's got nothing to do with thoughts, it's to do with reality, what I see and hear on a daily basis...Believe me, I don't imagine stepping out of my front door and having to navigate round pools of urine and stacks of rubbish...

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Well, you can't argue with the ignorant!!

My memory is as sharp as a razor and I remember this ... ' Retrievers are bread to retrieve as the miners are bred to mine coal ... and the working class are bred to look after people like me. '
This was a quote from a toff about 20 years ago, who had never done a days work in his life!
Can't remember his name though, that wasn't relevant enough at the time to remember. Does any one recognise it?

I have claimed benefits in the past. I don't have tattoos or any afflictions that render me a miss fit and my Son is a lawyer now! Work that one out???

hx

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   

destination now

What? The thought police? It's got nothing to do with thoughts, it's to do with reality, what I see and hear on a daily basis...Believe me, I don't imagine stepping out of my front door and having to navigate round pools of urine and stacks of rubbish...

Move then, I am sure you can afford it.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

I totally agree with that, sadly though relying on benefits as a lifestyle choice and is spreading out from the few hardcore unemployable types to a larger section of the community. That, I'm sure you will agree needs to be stopped in it's tracks, because lets face it, it's hardly a good life is it?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   

hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Why? For having the temerity to question why we should pay for people to do nothing every day? The fact you seem to favour such a lack of questioning actually shows you are more suited to any possible Thought Police.

That is, however, away from the matter. Perhaps you could explain why you think we the taxpayers should continue to pay for long term unemployed? This is not those out of luck, trying to find a job. This is those that haven't managed to find a job in 3 years of looking.

Like i said above, some areas have a real problem, such as some of the Welsh Valleys. However, for large parts of this country the only reason not to have a job after 3 years is because you do not want one - not because there are no jobs there.

Again, there is no problem with people not wanting to work. The problem arises when those people who do not want to work think that other people should pay for their privilege.
edit on 30-9-2013 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

You obviously are under the mistaken impression that long term unemployed persons, are all lazy, work shy, booze addicted morons. I do not blame you for thinking that, since all the media coverage of such things points to that scenario, and since the people you see staggering around, special brew in hand outside the job centre, would appear to be a significantly more visible group than those who merely come and go, quietly and with decorum, from that most depressing location.

However justified one might be for THINKING that this is the case, it is none the less false. You may live near several people who are essentially scamming the British taxpayer, but no matter what you have seen, the numbers do not support the idea that the majority of people claiming some kind of out of work benefit, are on the take. The actual situation is very different.

The reality is that in the places where there is most unemployment, there is a lack of attainable and gainful work to be had. This is due to a number of factors. Factory closures, public sector cutbacks, downsizing and outsourcing have been happening across various sectors for some considerable time now, and not a single thing has been done to alleviate this problem, and provide jobs for those who have none. It occurs to me that if the government have some ideas of what they could put the unemployed to work on to "earn" their benefit, then that means there is work which needs doing.

That, in turn, means that work that needs doing, jobs that need doing, are not being addressed properly by local government, because otherwise that work would be being done by employed persons, and the reason that these things are NOT being done, is that cuts that have been made over the last little while, to local government budgets, mean that there is not enough money in their budgets to cover these jobs, this work.

That is NOT the fault of the majority of the unemployed, the sick, the elderly, the disabled, or any other powerless and defenseless group in society. The fault for that lies squarely, and totally at the feet of the banking officials, globally who allowed the banks to run amok despite clear warnings that growth based economies are vulnerable to abuse by banks and business, and the politicians on all sides of the House of Commons, who allowed the vast and horrific blunders (read laughably transparent economic vandalism) on the part of the banks, to ever effect the common populace in the slightest.

It is also upon the government to ensure that the money they DO still spend, is spent wisely, and it has not been. Tens of billions of pounds a year disappear from the HMRCs coffers, which go to a private company. These monies go toward paying for extortionately priced office supplies, with many hundreds of percent of the price payed for things like printer paper, biro pens, and computer equipment, being totally gratuitous and unsupportable.

It will interest you to learn, that this same company Mapeley, I believe is their name, are also on a list of companies who have failed to pay a sensible amount of tax. I can assure you that their contribution to the state of our nations finances, as a single business entity mind you, is comparable with the drain which unemployment costs us yearly, and yet their board members are by no means sipping white cider, and smoking butts from dirty ashtrays. They are however the sort of pleasure yacht owning, soft handed, work averse cretins, who by rights ought to be the ones doing this unpaid work, while genuine job seekers should be getting a few breaks here and there. We could start with ensuring that the unemployed are represented more fairly in the media.

But I digress. It is my feeling, that until the private companies which are draining our nations resources and earning billions doing it, the banks which caused the vast majority of our problems, the Whitehall bastards who failed to alert ministers to the threat, and the politicians who failed to heed what warnings they did receive, have paid their price, until the people have had their ounce of flesh from them, they have no right to demand of the people, what amounts to slavery. Their dues are greater than those owed by the people, because not a single person on the street has any power what so ever to change the course of these events.

Those who did have that power, failed to do so, an error that THEY have yet to pay for. Until they do, suggestions like this will be, rightly, seen as hypocritical and callous of any party, let alone a coalition featuring a Conservative chancellor. This victimisation of the unemployed, MUST end.
edit on 30-9-2013 by TrueBrit because: Grammar issues.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join