It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Shutdown Appears to Be A Go

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

k21968
reply to post by undo

ACTUALLY the active duty military soldiers contract states they will not be put in NO PAY STATUS while on active duty. That was on our news today here at Ft Knox. They are breaching a contract by not paying them. IT IS BS!

Unless things have changed since I was in, there is nothing in the enlistment contract that says they have to pay you. One of those minor little points that a recruiter fails to mention.

It would be nice if there was such a clause. A soldier could go to a civilian judge and sue the Army for breech of contract, and get a temporary injunction against the enforcement of the contract until a judgement is rendered. The soldier could just go home and wait for the trial and the money from the lawsuit. The Army wouldn't even be able to "punish" the soldier with a less than honorable discharge after the trial, since they can't discharge someone who isn't technically "in" the Army at that point.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Merlynn

did you read the second part? it says 2 out of every 5 are vets. and the previous quote says a fair portion of those are disabled vets.

this doesn't sound good, not good at all.
edit on 30-9-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

VictorVonDoom

k21968
reply to post by undo

ACTUALLY the active duty military soldiers contract states they will not be put in NO PAY STATUS while on active duty. That was on our news today here at Ft Knox. They are breaching a contract by not paying them. IT IS BS!

Unless things have changed since I was in, there is nothing in the enlistment contract that says they have to pay you. One of those minor little points that a recruiter fails to mention.

It would be nice if there was such a clause. A soldier could go to a civilian judge and sue the Army for breech of contract, and get a temporary injunction against the enforcement of the contract until a judgement is rendered. The soldier could just go home and wait for the trial and the money from the lawsuit. The Army wouldn't even be able to "punish" the soldier with a less than honorable discharge after the trial, since they can't discharge someone who isn't technically "in" the Army at that point.

That was stated by Ft Knox public affairs office today on the noon news.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
p.s. the article also was about the sequestration, which dod employees had already gone thru. now it's flat out no pay at all. what is going on over there?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
People blaming the Obama Administration for this shutdown is like if a Crook (Congress) robbed a bank and everyone blamed the Bank Manager.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The good news is that a shutdown will hurt GOP credibility and cause some safe seats in the house to become more competitive for Democrats. Leave it to the bat# crazy wing of the conservative party to shoot themselves in the foot.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
This is ripping the GOP apart. The attempted revolt, by the GOP moderates, failed.

Now they look like a bunch of crazy children running away with their ball crying "Obamacare".

If I were a proud Conservative American I'd be furious right now, at my own party and it's "leadership".

The TEA PARTY. Started out good, when Ron Paul was involved, but then it went right off the rails and into Confederate territory or something with strange hats and guns with bayonets.

They deserve ridicule for potentially throwing a wrench into the sputtering to life American economy the President's right that's not just fear-mongering, just look at Wall Street today.

Not a good situation.

Time to create a new third party to divide the middle.

That's what I would do if I had the wherwithall - call it something like "Progressive Conservative" and then take it all - the people are FED UP. Congress is at a 10% approval rating.

Ban both parties... !

Or shun them I should say.

Whatever it takes America - start a new Third Party, but NOT a "Tea Party".. LOL! Crazies..

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Well, what amazes me is the Senate which is charged with passing a budget has failed to do so for years under Obama, and yet now when the R team is pushing to defund Obamacare, they can suddenly pass one, and claim it's the R's fault we are in so much trouble.

They haven't passed a budget so no one could legitimately blame them for the spending and financial crisis, but in truth it is their fault, and the D team has failed in their fiduciary responsibility.

It's time to throw all of them out, to cut the size of the Fed to at least 1990 levels, and return the power to the states. People seem to forget the FED is just an idea. It is the same people of the states, yet somehow the FED has grown to this monstrosity that is eating away our money and controlling us like slave lords.

END IT NOW! SHUT IT DOWN!

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

UnifiedSerenity
Well, what amazes me is the Senate which is charged with passing a budget has failed to do so for years under Obama, and yet now when the R team is pushing to defund Obamacare, they can suddenly pass one, and claim it's the R's fault we are in so much trouble.

They haven't passed a budget so no one could legitimately blame them for the spending and financial crisis, but in truth it is their fault, and the D team has failed in their fiduciary responsibility.

It's time to throw all of them out, to cut the size of the Fed to at least 1990 levels, and return the power to the states. People seem to forget the FED is just an idea. It is the same people of the states, yet somehow the FED has grown to this monstrosity that is eating away our money and controlling us like slave lords.

END IT NOW! SHUT IT DOWN!

I agree SHUT IT DOWN and DO IT NOW~! Finally "Change we can believe in". This will happen then the stock market will crash then...we can rebuild!

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

One problem, the economy was growing and the deficit starting to move in the right direction.

It's quite the "experiment" just shutting it all down, blowing it up and running off with the ball.

How is that helpful?

But you're right that both parties need to be discarded and a new third party formed, to shake everything up.

Then, once the new generation has come to power, then it's time to kill the Fed, re-issue the American dollar, pass power back to the States, and shrink the size of the bureaucracy while demilitarizing it and restoring the wind of Liberty back into the flag.

A strong move towards a lasting and sustainable peace would be required, internationally, to prepare for the shrinking of the Military-Industrial-Complex and Intelligence apparatus, ending the perpetual "war on terror" and allowing the Islamic world to evolve on its own maybe with the help of a few Western-trained Clerics and Scholars, to restore Islam to it's better half (Medina over Mecca).

Oh wouldn't it be nice to see the USA remade in it's originating image which was responsible for it's Great Success throughout the 19th and 20th century.

It's possible.

Create a new third party, my American friends. Figure it out and make it happen.

Best Regards,

NAM
Your Canadian Friend and Neighbor to the North.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
We just need to reset the government. We need to start from square 1 again erase all laws and stick with the constitution and move from there.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Indigo5

LittleBlackEagle
they shut down 17 years ago what happened, nothing.................................................................................................................

Partisanship aside, this shut-down will cost the GOP seats in November.

Actually, GOP seats were gained after the last shutdown.

What doesn't seem fair is that the POTUS singles out reps for not compromising and working on a way to stop the shutdown, but its the dems who have shot down every single amendment made to it. They absolutely won't budge which will be the reason for the "shutdown". They could at least remove the exemptions for Congress, POTUS, and big business but they shot that down too lol. Guess they thought the president being exempt from his own law was more important than keeping the govt running.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   

edit on 1-10-2013 by MisterMahound because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Does anyone know what this means for those dealing with immigration? Will it slow down the process or is it not affected? From my understanding, USCIS is still doing its thing but the courts and embassies are shut down. So I guess anything that has to go through them will have to wait? Rumor has it that there's a chance that it could lead to a lot of people getting rejected. =/

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I heard a few weeks back that those lower ranks and possibly higher were already "off" the payroll
even tho still in training so its really no suprise that they did shutdown.

Give it a week to a month and I would guess doors will be open again.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I guess this is good news for the people who do not like government. I guess shutting it down, the cost of shutting it down, and those 800,000 who will not be getting paid, I guess a 6 week deal is worth all that. This is going to be REAL bad Karma for the republicans. I am a democrat but I like a two party working system. I like a good fight and dealing, but just pay the bills and take the fight to the proper arena.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Em2013

..Republicans said yes to everything but no to Obamacare, yet the Liberals would rather see the country suffer ..

It is not republicans place to say yes or no.

ACA/Obamacare was a law EXHAUSTIVELY debated in congress and in the public arena.
It was passed and enacted by democratically elected representatives.
We had a year of debate and compromise before the law was passed.
And we have had TWO elections...One where President Obama ran on the promise of reforming healthcare and another after he had passed and championed the law.
BOTH times the majority of Americans spoke and made their will known.
The Supreme Court of the United States has upheld the law.

What we have now is a minority faction of the Republican party demanding that democratically passed laws be repealed or they will sabotage the US economy.
edit on 1-10-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

MOMof3
This is going to be REAL bad Karma for the republicans.

Why is that? The republicans have given several options. Democrats will not compromise. They postponed Obamacare for big businesses, but when we asked to have it postponed for everyone they said absolutely not. Heck, the dems even took a day off on Sunday in the midst of it all. Not sure why you think this is caused by the Republicans.... Despite what Obama says, we DO get a vote. Deal with it.

As it is, the congress just shut down government over a healthcare system they wont even accept for themselves. Hardworking people still have to work WITHOUT pay while those who don't work as well as the politicians who got us in this mess still get paid. Well, except Ann Wagner who is declining her pay while the government is shut down. If you don't think this is a screwed up system that deserves to be shut down and fixed, I don't know what to say.

The democratic led government shut down ridiculous things that do nothing but cause drama. There are so many areas that could be cut that would actually improve our financial situation. BUT NO lets shut down the NOAA site and close our national parks while making adds that insinuate that all the wildlife are going to die now because the park workers wont be there and the gates will be closed. Give me a freaking break.

Careful tempting Karma. It doesn't discriminate based on who gets called what names.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

mach1ne

What doesn't seem fair is that the POTUS singles out reps for not compromising and working on a way to stop the shutdown, but its the dems who have shot down every single amendment made to it. They absolutely won't budge which will be the reason for the "shutdown". They could at least remove the exemptions for Congress, POTUS, and big business but they shot that down too lol. Guess they thought the president being exempt from his own law was more important than keeping the govt running.

The House never sent a bill with just removing congressional exemption added. I would wager that if they have done that, the Senate may have agreed to the bill. Instead we constantly saw attempts to delay or cripple Obamacare added to the bills sent to the Senate.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

mach1ne

Actually, GOP seats were gained after the last shutdown.

In November of 1995, the 104th Congress, with 230 GOP under Newt Gingrich's leadership shut down government. In the following election in Nov. 1996 the GOP LOST four seats (from 230 to 226) and democrats gained 3 seats. 5 years after the shutdown the GOP had lost 9 seats and the Dems gained 8...and the senate GOP lost 5 seats. In addition to that, the shut down was largely credited with winning Pres. Bill Clinton a 2nd term.

mach1ne
What doesn't seem fair is that the POTUS singles out reps for not compromising and working on a way to stop the shutdown,

There should be no compromise on a CR spending bill or the debt ceiling raise. Both are paying the bills that Congress has accrued through their own budgets.

If a minority faction of government is permitted to delay or repeal democratically enacted laws, exhaustively debated and constitutionally passed by congress, upheld by the supreme court...affirmed through two Presidential elections...then our form of government will no longer be valid and all future democratically passed laws will be at the mercy of any extremist minority group in the future.

If this is permitted, then Democrats can do the same in any future scenario where a minority faction disagrees with democratically enacted, affirmed and upheld laws and can threaten the US economy unless their minority demands are met.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join