It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Shutdown Appears to Be A Go

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
woohoo!

2nd woo

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

19KTankCommander
The Really Question is why do we really care if the government shuts down, they don't do nothing for us, the only ones I feel bad for are the Military that are serving.

Let the Government Shut down. Give them a time out and rethink all that wasteful spending.

Nope, not even rethinking , just shut it down permanently, and take the useless cops with them.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

boymonkey74
What happens If the Government gets shut down? and how do you reopen it?
Has it ever happened before?

Yep. Actually, last time wasn't that bad.

The clamor about a government shutdown is simply hype because what we saw last time was that so-called government shutdown by not having a coherent budget was actually helpful in reducing the budget deficit.

Since the nation is politically hamstrung and the government can proffer no useful fiscal legislation, then the next best thing is to at least force the reduction of spending, which is what failures to provide budgets do.

Defunding OBAMACARE, Govt SHUTDOWN, et al

The government wants to make shutdowns as painful as possible for average Americans, but is generally immune from its effects. They will lay off "non-essential" workers, but Congress and the President still get paid. Services to the American people are cut back, but foreign aid still goes through. And no one is talking about cutting back on drone strikes or NSA spying.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

tracehd1
Corp. Military is making a bundle though.

Been that way for 100 years. Read General Smedley's book "War Is a Racket" (1935).

Present day, the military-industrial-financial complex has refined corruption to it's ultimate pinnacle. That sucking sound you hear is the economy contracting under the DoD vacuum cleaner sucking up dollars.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I got a letter from the Gov yesterday stating that my foodstamps would be cut by 50.00 dollars or more. Just saying, as a single Mom it has been about the only way to keep food on the table.

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

antar
I got a letter from the Gov yesterday stating that my foodstamps would be cut by 50.00 dollars or more. Just saying, as a single Mom it has been about the only way to keep food on the table.

And this is how government manipulates.

By selected cuts. Deliberate, selective cuts.

They twist and manipulate. They deliberately put people like yourself into hardship to push an agenda.

They don't need to cut you foodstamps by 50 dollars.

They are worried about a BUDGET??? Really? Since when? They ask the Fed for BILLIONS every month! They are overspent BY TRILLIONS!

And they piss and moan over 50 bucks? Really?

ETA: They can dish out billions to Syria, Egypt, where ever. . . . . but you get ####ed over because of an agenda!

edit on 29-9-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
well that's what happens when you put all your eggs in 1 basket, and that basket is the government. sorry vets, you'll get hit the hardest.

i feel slight remorse for the people on food stamps, but you know...poverty predates food stamps. they wont be totally screwed...they might have to dig out the dictionary and phone book and look up charity programs.

i mention dictionary because for many of them...they have been on government assistance so long that this may be a necessary step...

"what is a church?...or this...'neighbor' you speak of?...huh? the red WHAT?...the salvation WHO?"

edit on 29-9-2013 by LurkingRelentlessly because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
so, all of this is because of obamacare,right? obamacare hasn`t even been implemented yet and it`s already causing problems.
so, the republicans want to delay obamacare by a year but the democrates want to ram it through on schedule even though most parts of obamacare have been delayed and won`t be ready to be implemented on schedule?
so, instead of delaying the implementation of obamacare until it is ready the democrates would rather shut the government down?
The first people that shouldn`t receive paychecks if the government shuts down is all government employees who were elected to their job.

The government will still be collecting taxes during a shut down but those taxes won`t be enough to pay all the governments obligations.Who decides which obligations to pay and which obligations to not pay?
Who makes the decision to keep giving away foreign aid and paying congress while cutting off food stamps,social security and furloughing government workers?
If the government does shut down it`s because people weren`t doing the job that they were elected to do by the people.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
If these idiots can't work together and run the country, I say fire the whole lot and be done with it!

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I feel like this is appropriate for this thread.

www.washingtonpost.com...

A government shutdown next week would interrupt some services and potentially jeopardize the paychecks of more than 800,000 federal workers. The Office of Management and Budget has asked agencies to begin making contingency plans. Their first stop will be their plans from 2011. The federal government does not stop functioning completely, and by law, certain agencies must operate with unsalaried employees. They include those that deal with national security and the safety of people and property, as well as those that manage benefits such as Social Security payments. The U.S. Postal Service will also be unaffected by a shutdown. Here’s what some agencies have said about their plans this time around.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
If government workers are shut off from a paycheck,

wouldn't that make them eligible for unemployment benefits from their home States ?

Hmmm.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I dont think it really matters anymore. Those who dont get paid will get a nice back paycheck.

It changes nothing people. Just puts fear into the populus.

Yeay for freedom. .lol

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Once the government is "shut down" how can we keep it shut down? Military, Social Security, Postal Service, and several other agencies are not affected and probably won't be affected by the shut down.

But I bet you if Obama wants to go on another vacation, Air Force One won't be shut down.

Its all smoke and mirrors, people. It will be O K!

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Lets suppose George Washington some how could be brought forward to this time period what would he think about the deficit. I think when we would explain to him that The United States of America is 17 Trillion in debt and is 90 Trillion in unfounded debt he would not even comprehend how we got to this point and this situation in our history. It would be hard for George Washington to think in terms of a billion dollars let alone a figure like Trillions of dollars and he probably never heard the word Trillion in his life time.

George Washington would be very disappointed in our deficit even though our country had a deficit for the Revolutionary War that was paid off around 1830 before the Civil War. ^Y^

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by amari

He would likely suggest a 5% tariff on all imports, a whisky tax. Then, when we told him all that we had also accomplished, he would likely nod his head and go have a beer while watch the Patriots game.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Thank god. Leave us the # alone.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I agree with you on that. I feel these people are terrorists, they are
attempting to use terror on the American people to get their
way.....

I am sick of not even being able to tell if our government even
realizes they work for us.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I have seen a lot of people on here saying just close the government...

If they completely close the government then our constitution gets ripped up.. That is their plan to start with...

Sorry but some people are too gullible..

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

TruthSeekerKnight
I have seen a lot of people on here saying just close the government...

If they completely close the government then our constitution gets ripped up.. That is their plan to start with...

Sorry but some people are too gullible..

No, no, no, no, no... The constitution unfurls, they do not want this. Therefore, it is good for us.

The government shuts down for over 90 days a year, did you think they were getting ready to sell their parking spaces?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

antar

My wife and I receive, or maybe it would be more proper to say... our nephew receives cash aid from the state we live in, and there has been no reduction in his benefits.

And honestly, we're running out of things to spend his money on / for.

edit on 9/30/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join