It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panicked MSM Begins Killing Off Comment Sections

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

ObjectZero
It’s really simple propaganda does not welcome different incite, news does.

Too bad this wasn't the second post in the thread.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I can't remember the last time I watched the , wait a minute yes I can it was the last election.
Their bias reporting of the elections turned me off and haven't turned it back on since.
The obvious way they removed Ron Paul was the end for me.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Considering the press are all under such duress now, most can't really share an honest pov without being persecuted (like the guardian for their coverage on the NSA, David Miranda being a classic example, which is real funny, because with all the funding, manpower, prism software and all the rest of it, they have to go steal files from a reporter to see what he has! lol ... not steal ...err... I mean confiscate for reasons of national security..err allegedly)-(and not forgetting Barrett Brown for providing a link online and now potentially being imprisoned for 105 years!).

The freedom of press is on its deathbed, and that is very scary!

The comment section is useful as it allows the general public to be the voice of freedom that is needed in the world (It'll probably get you on some list classed as a terrorist tho).

Anyhow, when talking to people, it does not matter what propaganda they put out, most see through it now and this is why people have no faith in their elected govs or what they have to say, which has become a greater issue than the propaganda itself.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Are they panicking or is it simply that the internet is full of D-EGo fuelled people who simply don't know how to have a sensible, civilised conversation and as such having comments sections are a waste of time because they simply turn into insipd battlegrounds between morons?

If you need an example, check out the comments on YouTube.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

muzzleflash
History aka the set of events that actually occurred in our past is "Locked in Stone" so to speak.
What happened happened, and no matter what type of trickery or slick speaking can keep it hidden in the end. Because the obvious will always be obvious and humans simply aren't completely stupid, they adapt too quickly.

What happens tomorrow is immaterial, it's mutable, "Up in the Air".
What already happened, it's "Locked Up" for good.
Can't change it.

Hmm.... I suggest you wait for the opportunity (a wedding, cookout, etc...) and mention the conspiracy that killed Lincoln and resulted in several hangings, including the only woman ever executed by hanging in the U.S.

In my experience, I usually get asked what I've been smoking. The Majority of folks are still being taught that it was the work of one p*ssed of actor who sympathized with the South.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I can see their reasoning being massive numbers of vitriolic arguments-- and spam-- but isn't that what moderators are for?
I love a section for readers to speak their minds and add input and corrections. Are the websites aiming for the secondary effect of people having no way of doing that save for message boards (like ATS for example)?
Who knows....

edit on 30-9-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

neformore
Are they panicking or is it simply that the internet is full of D-EGo fuelled people who simply don't know how to have a sensible, civilised conversation and as such having comments sections are a waste of time because they simply turn into insipd battlegrounds between morons?

If that were the case then respectful posts that go against the status quo would not have been deleted before this full censorship came to place. How hard is to use "hate speech" as a guise for total comment censorship?

You would have to sugarcoat your responses to a pathetic level to make the page.

I have also seen pro-status quo comments with considerable profanity make it.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Liquesence
In the majority of the comments sections and in the majority of comments themselves that I have encountered, there are nothing but ignorant, hate-filled, trollish comments that are not constructive in an honest debate but simply seek to provoke and bash with untruths and/or extremely slanted and biased viewpoints, regardless if its CNN or FOX websites.

I've encountered a few good comments, but the majority are trash.

I can understand why the media are taking comment sections away.
edit on 29-9-2013 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

I agree that some comments I've seen are trashy, or trollish, but why be afraid of such comments? People who speak in an overly trashy or trollish manner only serve to discredit themselves. What are we, a bunch of children? We need the naughty, naughty words sanitized for the protection of our delicate sensibilities?

And I'm sure, to that, some might retort that actual children are online--lots of them. And I'd agree. In fact, I'd suggest to you that many of the "trashy" "trollish" comments are, indeed, coming from teenagers, and those with the mentality of one (lol). And I would suggest that if a minor is mature enough to be reading articles on news sites online, I'd say they're at least mature enough to deal with a few naughty words.

Of course, some people quite ridiculously try to shelter their children forever, and if even such an idea is too much for them, parents can always try to better control what their kids do online. And if they're not, or can't? Well, let's face it-- there are infinitely more things online infinitely worse than a few naughty words in a comment section.

So really, there are few valid reasons I can see for censoring the public in such a format. Don't want your company / publication / site to seem trashy? Fair-- but I don't think anyone is under the illusion that the comments section are written by, or "sanctioned" by the site itself. Don't want to give the impression of a trashy readership? That one's a bit more tricky. Maybe try making your publications a little more "high brow." lol

I really dislike censorship in almost any form. And I think it's often more telling about the one doing the censoring. But let's face it-- plenty of sites do it. Even ATS censors quite a lot of stuff. Sadly, I don't think that's going to stop any time soon.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I recently left a message on yahoo news chat forum about the recent shooting in Kenya supermarket, and boy did i get slammed! as soon i mentioned the biased view of the MSM against the Muslim community and leading the general public in negative opinion of all Muslims

The replies i got never mentioned the fact i thought the shooting was horrendous and cowardly, they only targeted the fact i mentioned a biased view of Muslims in general!

I was just trying to get people to think for them selves and question MSM

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I think this may entice more and more people to join sites such as this.

The chatter, online and elsewhere, which we are so inclined to pursue is one of the greatest strengths the people have ever wielded. It's what shapes ideas and ideals - I believe it will quicken equality.
If ever there was/is/will be an ascension, this is it.

addendum: you only find what you seek

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Thanks for putting this into proper perspective...I used to respond in comments sections frequently--just to expose their lop-sided views and "throw the propaganda back at 'em..." Now that NSA is collecting my criticism of Obama (I also criticized Bush) I don't visit CNN, NBC, ABC, FOX because I don't believe them and I don't feel comfortable commenting on their sites...

Still plenty of non MSM outlets to post comments...

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
How ridiculous.

That's actually a violation of the 1st amendment to some extent. People are supposed to be able to voice their opinions on current events. After all we live in this country, and we should have a say in it, and should be able to discuss it in a civilized fashion. After all, that is what a democracy is SUPPOSED to be.

Sure some people may just rant to each other about idiotic things, but is that really a good enough reason to screw it up for the people who have something intelligent to say? People are entitled to their own opinions no matter how dumb you think it is, after all it is an opinion that you think their opinion is dumb.

The MSM must be thinking "The people aren't liking us much right now, and they don't trust us nearly as much. How about we make sure not to have people give their own opinions on the subject, that way we can make sure people believe what it is we're saying, and not what their saying."

This kind of thinking is obviously completely biased. And that would just make news companies even more biased than what they already are.

Kind of reminds me of someone who puts their hands around their ears and goes "La,la,la,la,la, I can't hear you, I'm the right one, la, la, la la!"

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Liquesence
In the majority of the comments sections and in the majority of comments themselves that I have encountered, there are nothing but ignorant, hate-filled, trollish comments that are not constructive in an honest debate but simply seek to provoke and bash with untruths and/or extremely slanted and biased viewpoints, regardless if its CNN or FOX websites.

Let's just shut down the internet because of trolls.

Honestly why can't they just use a report function and ban/suspend those people like every other website does, including this one. For argument's sake, they can continually make new emails and new accounts but if your seriously that motivated to troll a news article then there must be something else going on.

Consider the notion that a few of these "trolls" show up on these comment sections on MSM news sites to purposely derail and have them shut down, it's not beyond reason.
edit on 30-9-2013 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I swear most of them end up shadow banning you if you are dragging their story off course and screwing up their agenda.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
all things come to pass. the old must be exposed and done away with
to make way for the new (and wonderful).
we are on the cusp of something mind bogglingly beautiful.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Liquesence

It's pretty simple to give your own website a reason to shut down the comments by trolling it.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

neformore

After ascertaining there would be no giant tear in the fabric of reality from the impending shutdown... the Yahoo stack for remedial sentence deconstruction is BTW doing a champ, up or down for our immediate 'crisis'.

Honest to God Nef I had to get out of there, it was like mudwrestling with a three syllable limit. The MSM comment boards at large are agreeably repopulating with what seem more all the time noticeably monstrous rhetoric. Maybe things are reaching a mainstream head, who knows for sure.

For the first cause, you could have a point for fear creating some hollow anger. It's against my grain and Occam's besides: none the less I'll take Door Number Two, however complex in description.

I don't wrestle with my conscience, but I have from this site learned humility and restraint. It could still however be some time before I'll make sense to anyone here as a result of the shutdown-- just from Yahoo comments. Must detox.....

must now more carefully review and pare my post before punching the rectangular apploid... it was a jungle out there. So many troglodytes, so little ammo. I imagine without looking GLP must be like Shangri-Loon today... Derf

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join