It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible for a theocratic spacefaring alien civilization to exist?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
More assuredly, there's us isn't there

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Well I hope if they are of a Theocracy they are not pushing Islamic Sharia but maybe more Jehovas Witness...deffinately not middle ages catholicism

The Alien Inquisition ...wow
I'd rather they knock on my door and ask me if I'd like to know more about God's promises
Not smash down my door and force conversion by threat of violence

But that's if I have an opinion in the matter.

Most likely they will be a Theocracy
And will demand we worship them in their superiority

X
edit on 28-9-2013 by Xcouncil=wisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Yes, I think so...

But, Theocratic in the sense that they ARE Gods.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
They might have a believe that the universe is somewhat a living thing, of nether/or both energy or matter, u know the usual "God is a supercomputer" motif. Even though, it sounds extremely unlikely.

As for a theocratic empire...Probably, although the odds do go against. If an alien race was still having supersitous dilemmas, while having the hands on advanced technology, and didn't wipe it self out of it stupidity, then yes.

I do picture them Xenophobic however, if they were under religious scrutiny, and that exploring the universe would actually be somewhat enlightening as well as threatening to their view of the universe.

Now the danger all depends if they want to expand, which again would threaten their view.

Im pretty sure the neighbors if atheist, and advanced in both mind set and technology would have a problem with them. It like Jehovah witnesses or mormons doing home invasion in a nut-shell.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

starwarsisreal
Is it possible for an theocratic space-faring alien civilization to exist?

Now I know it sounds too Halo (The Covenant) but a thought occurred to me as I was thinking about what alien civilizations look like. What if aliens have their space faring civilizations run by a theocracy? How would it affect other space faring alien civilizations? Would they be one of the biggest threat to our galaxy?

Theocratic in for example: The necromongers in the Hollywood movie --- The Chronicles of Riddick --- I tend to doubt that. IMO...Any alien civilization that has achieved the feat of interstellar travel throughout any of our numerous galaxies in our universe, have probably achieved a state of evolutionary nirvana, that would tend to rule out any imposition of strict religious dogma on there own society or anybody else's --- At least I hope so.

Yet for any spacefaring civilization that gives a try at extraterrestrial contact with other alien civilizations on other planets in our universe, would have to contend with the possibility that they themselves...would sometimes be looked upon as Gods to lesser technological savvy civilizations in our universe. These spacefaring civilizations might take over some role as "Gods" --- so to speak --- by seeding other planets with carbon based life, such as ourselves, and possibly preventing the occurrence of a cosmological based destruction of an alien civilization, that lacked the technology to save themselves.

Yet...first alien communication contact with other planetary alien civilizations, could possibly be based on the religious faith of the alien civilization that is being contacted --- with references to biblical religious stories --- such as "Jonah and the Whale", so as to make the contactee better able to understand the alien communication that is being put forth.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
No imaginations here huh?

Because, super advanced = atheist
Religion = stupid beyond all belief (by default)

Here is an idea.

How about a religion that worships the stars and knowledge with a touch of a manifest destiny on the "be fruitful and multiple". Perhaps, even this religion believes that to acquire knowledge is to know the divine.

Now you might say, sure; but as they acquire greater knowledge, surely they would shed the concept of a deity. But there are nontraditional religions that don't have god's but focus more on a lifestyle and way of living.

I'd suggest that yes, it could be possible.

And hey, what if that manifest destiny was a universal command by their head priest to seed the galaxy in order to become gods themselves and that all other life if blasphemy and must be wiped out.

Ok, it's inventive and imaginative, I suppose.

But I don't think it's an automatic, No not possible.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I suppose it wouldn't be completely out of the question that some distant race of creatures could reach a level and type of intelligence that would make them self-reflective and wondering about the nature of existence. I'm not sure, however, that they would necessarily decide, as many human beings have, that the answer lies in some poorly-defined entity/power called "God." God is a kind of default explanation we use to feel better about our ignorance. To us, "God" = "I don't know." I would hope that an advanced intelligent alien species would have senses and patterns of thought that would allow them to get a bigger, better picture of reality than we have.

That being said, as suggested, a theocratic society might become aggressively spacefaring if they believed there were other intelligences out there who needed to be brought The Truth to do as their god commands, or to ensure some kind of salvation, or subservience. It would then be up so us to join them or fight them, depending on their arguments. They might actually know The Truth, after all. Although, for humanity, when people feel like they know The Truth, it tends to make them less curious. If you think you have the answers to everything, research and discovery could easily be seen as useless or heretical.

One of the worst case scenarios would be if aliens truly believed that human beings were spiritual beings trapped in ignorant, weak, pain-filled bodies, and it was their holy duty to free our energies from our bodies so that they might righteously co-mingle with that of the creator entity. In other words, wipe us out like vermin, but for our own good. That would be horrifying, particularly if they were right.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Hypothetical in origin. Questions like this topic make us sound like we are infants...which we are by comparison. It really shows how near-sighted we are in relativity.

We only relate to our Earthly experience in terms that mean something to us, now. I think it could go either way.

*No need for any politics
*No need for any religion
*No need for propulsion methods. (its us who cant fathom anything else)
*No need for male and female sex (gone by the wayside of 100,000 or so years of hybridization both here and on other planets)
*No need for GOLD or any other precious anything. (Those can be found in abudance all throughout this universe alone...)
*They dont need slaves
*They dont want to eat us.

I propose they dont have politics, religions, spaceships etc so this is a moot point. I am suggesting however that they:

*Move about without ships or crafts
*Gave up worshipping anything millions of years ago
*Dont live or practice within the confines of any "GOD"
*Arent coming to "save" us, or "eat" us or "enslave" us or "zap" all of our Gold.

Its the old saying "shoulda-coulda-woulda". If they "coulda" they "woulda"...and if they did....it wouldnt matter if they shoulda" or not.

Im afraid by all appearances we still will have some people on the rooftops waiving them in with sign "WELCOME SPACEPEOPLE!"....as we get laser-blown right off the roof.

And all because we tried to understand them by our "earth" standards. I think we will find that will be a big, big mistake when it happens.........

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
They could be a race of technocratic humanists - a race that has been persuaded to make science their god. Such a race would have to be very civilized, otherwise they would not get beyond the state of savages. But their civilization need not be based on spirituality or morality as we know it. Their willingness to be civilized could be based on the belief that cooperation is better than individuality. That the 'state' is the ultimate object of loyalty (like communism). Their morality would be in terms of material and scientific values not spiritual values. In other words, they are Nazis with etiquette.
edit on 1-10-2013 by EnPassant because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join