It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Overview Effect - Perspective from Astronauts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
This is a wonderful documentary; which is based on astronauts telling their perspective of going to space, and viewing Earth. Termed "The Overview Effect", is the perspective of seeing Earth and humanity as a whole system, and not-divided, from space.

Astronauts who have seen the Earth from space have often described the ‘overview effect’ as an experience that has transformed their perspective of the planet and mankind’s place upon it, and enabled them to perceive it as our shared home, without boundaries between nations or species.

When we made missions to visit the Moon, the most important thing we found, was the beauty and wholeness of our beloved planet. It would be a dream come true to witness our Earth from outer space, one who has not had such an experience, can only imagine and look at pictures.. but this can not do it justice compared to the grander experience these astronauts have had.

OVERVIEW is a short film that will explore this perspective through interviews with astronauts who have experienced the overview effect. The film also features insights from commentators and thinkers on the wider implications and importance of this understanding for humanity as a whole, and especially its relevance to how we meet the tremendous challenges facing our planet at this time.

We forget how blessed we are to be in existence, and breath life with this magnificent being we call 'Earth'. The giver of abundant life, home to everything we have ever experienced.

For those who cannot see the documentary, I hope you can find a way. But generally, I hope even more we all can understand, appreciate, and accept how lucky we are to be here, on planet Earth.

Thanks for reading and watching

Planetary Collective

Second Source

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by covertpanther

I can see that perspective getting more popular with all the commercial space flight coming soon...

edit on 27-9-2013 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

learn more about Dr. Edgar Mitchell's experience in his book,

The Way of the Explorer
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1380324662&sr=1-1&keywords=edgar+mitchell

www.openexchange.org...

I spoke recently with Apollo 14 Astronaut Edgar Mitchell, the sixth man to walk on the moon, and we discussed his peak experience in space and how it still affects him 33 years later. He reports that what he experienced was nothing short of the magnificence of the universe, which was truly overwhelming.—Paula Bailey

Paula Bailey: Please tell us about your own "transformation."
Edgar Mitchell: I realized that the molecules of my body and my partners, and the molecules of the spacecraft were prototyped in some ancient generation of stars. And suddenly, instead of being an intellectual experience, it was an emotional experience, followed with an ecstasy! So my question was: Wow! What kind of a brain/body is this that causes this sort of experience?

How did you answer that question?
It was only after I came back to earth and started researching the mystical literature that I realized that the experience that I was having all the way back home had a name. It's called samadhi in the ancient Sanskrit—the samadhi experience. That's pretty wild!

Was your experience different from that of other astronauts?
Many of my compatriots, like Charlie Duke and Jim Irwin in particular, had very much the same experience, but they described it as looking on the face of God, which is a traditional, mystical or religious way of expressing such experiences. Others came back and began to express their sense of personal amazement and emotion through creativity—painting and poetry, for example.

Is the samadhi experience perceived differently when filtered through different belief systems?
What you are perceiving is information, and giving meaning to that information is what the conscious being is all about. It made me realize that in asking ourselves the deep questions, who are we, how did we get here, and where are we going, which every generation needs to ask, we probably needed to look at it from a new perspective now that we are a space-faring civilization. There wasn't anything in the scientific literature about this, so I began asking the question, what am I going to do about this? So that's the reason I started the Institute of Noetic Sciences.

edit on 27-9-2013 by filledcup because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I commend you for sharing this enlightening thread and video. This is the type of content and positive stuff I look for here on ATS.

Thank you, g-snert

edit on 27-9-2013 by grubblesnert because: spellin'

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by grubblesnert

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it :-)

2L

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I've long held the belief that we just don't use our brains, not so much to their full capacity, but in the wrong way and therefore missing out on harnessing the 'god' power within all of us to be so much more than the beings we are now.
I was reading Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol, and one of the main characters is a noetic scientist. I googled this 'science' as I wanted to learn more and see where Dan Brown got his info from, of course it led back to Mitchel. All this was just last week, and now you have started a thread on it.....the power of noetic science hey!!!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by filledcup

Thanks for the link, but he himself is in the documentary saying exactly what is in that long quote, you quoted.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

angelchemuel
I've long held the belief that we just don't use our brains, not so much to their full capacity, but in the wrong way and therefore missing out on harnessing the 'god' power within all of us to be so much more than the beings we are now.
I was reading Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol, and one of the main characters is a noetic scientist. I googled this 'science' as I wanted to learn more and see where Dan Brown got his info from, of course it led back to Mitchel. All this was just last week, and now you have started a thread on it.....the power of noetic science hey!!!

Rainbows
Jane

Sounds like you might want to add a bit of Jung now

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

“You develop an instant global consciousness, a people orientation, an intense dissatisfaction with the state of the world, and a compulsion to do something about it. From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say...

zenpencils.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Nope....never could get on with Karl!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Great stuff, thanks for this !

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Lol!

Thats a good one

People cant see the bigger picture in life, when their mental focus is ripping others off, cheating, lying and getting ahead of the next guy. Look into the animal kingdom, you will see the same mentality among predators.

That is the problem with humanity, act too much like dumb-down animals - missing the picture of Life..

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

That is soooo the truth - you put it well covertpanther!

Not much room for compassion when you are a predator, which humans are. But instead of competing directly for meat and sex, we compete for money to buy meat and sex!

Now back to watch that video as my spirits are feeling very shat upon and need a lift.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   

This just about sums it up!
Rainbows
Jane

new topics

top topics

join