It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

27-Year-Old Man Gets "20 Years Hard Labor" for Half an Ounce of Pot

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
You have to wonder if some of these Judges are in the pockets of these private prisons...Stupid sentence.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Oh believe me,even in a third world country you're not likely to get that long a sentence for being caught with a bit of mj-even if you're a repeat offender.Maybe if you're a bigtime dealer+you're caught repeatedly,you would do that amount of time,but our jails are too full with violent offenders+murderers+hijackers+burglars.If you are caught repeatedly with a small amount obviously only for personal use you may do a few months or a year or two-but nothing as preposterous as 20 years.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
If he was not following the laws in what ever state he lives in he deserves punishment...according to the laws all voters voted in...

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

The simplest answer: private prisons just need more inmates!

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Is the moral of the story:

Dont smoke pot?

If you smoke Pot, have a good lawyer ?

If you need to smoke pot, move to a tolerant state?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   

shockedonlooker
Meanwhile every perv is being released into our neighborhoods. 15 GRAMS? Mind-numbing.

Yeah, let's make sure we get the potheads out of the way because when TSHTF they are going to be a huge problem. Much more so than rapists and murderers. Geez.

But havent you heard, pot makes people do rapes and murders.

Drugs = Violence....right?

Seriously though, my blood metabolites alone would get me arrested in Louisiana.
Not gonna go.

Private prisons, just wait until they turn the prisons into private businesses. We can have thousands of potheads turning out millions of cheap goods and services.
Short on labour, no problem, increase the penalties and get more potheads.
Potheads are decent, good hard working people, give no trouble, perfect for prison labour!

(90% of this post is sarcasm)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   

hellobruce

Bassago
Maybe he can appeal it on grounds that the judge was insane.

Well, he was the insane one, knowing the law, being convicted of the same offence 2 times before then being caught with drugs for a third time!

You are really missing the point.
What if he was caught with the offence of getting caught with a burned out tail light, for a third time.
He could have changed the bulb.

Not too bright, you would say, to prison with ye!

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
my state its a ticket for a small amount under two ounces. maybe even five days of lots of blankets, the occasional cinnamon bun, and lots of cigarettes

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   

TheLotLizard
reply to post by goou111

This is the same reason why I got my medical card.

100% legal for me as it is now my medicine. So now if a cop pulls me over I can have a rolly in my ear and they can't say a single thing.

still be careful medical card or not.
most law enforcement personnel are good people. there are a few who will give you grief regardless of the law in your state. best not to poke the bear.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   

goou111

bkaust
I think it's incredibly stupid that one country can have states where its legal - and another state have such harsh penalties. To an outsider it just sounds totally ridiculous.

To this American it sounds totally ridiculous

Haha good point! Obviously they make more money prosecuting people for it than they would legalising and taxing it in certain states?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

shells4u
If he was not following the laws in what ever state he lives in he deserves punishment...according to the laws all voters voted in...

Aww said like a true slave owner.

"The law says I can own as many slaves as I like and beat them too!"

Yeah, justify it... ignorance is groovy.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Biigs
Is the moral of the story:

Dont smoke pot?

If you smoke Pot, have a good lawyer ?

If you need to smoke pot, move to a tolerant state?

It's this attitude that really #s me...

You accept this bullcrap law and punishment and claim the law is the law. All the while you're all screaming how terible the law is when it's oppressing something that YOU engage in, like your guns or your rights... oh yes, must disobey the law then, har har.

As long as it doesn't affect you however, it's the law.. obey the law.. or spend 20 years in prison for some plant matter.

Utter .. just.. gah, pathetic.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
What a crappy totalitarian toilet the US has become!

I'm sitting here with a 9 bar, about £300 quids worth, and if caught with said herb the CPS probably wouldn't even bother to prosecute because is for personal use only.

And that's here in the U.K, not the most tolerant of nations!

edit on 26-9-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I hate to say it...but the law is, in the end, the law. We don't have to like it and we sure don't have to agree with it. They have free housing for years, for each of us....if we don't follow it though.

I don't care for the laws on certain leafy substances either. Some levels are still a felony offense in my state with no signs that will change soon.

Anyway... I hate to see the waste it represents...but then, if you want to make up your own law to follow? They do have a place to send you so you can try. As he found out.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I think regardless of weather or not one supports the legalization of weed this is understandable

he had been found guilty of this same crime 4 times so if he hadn't learned his lesson after the first couple of times then frankly he deserves what he gets.

Sure he might have disagreed with the law as i am sure many of us might but the law is the law and we are all held accountable to the law of the land. If he could not quite get that after repeatedly being found guilty in possession of a banned substance then thats his fault.

I have no sympathy for him.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
What is this "hard labor". Haven't prisoners convinced the system that work with any real labor in prison is cruel.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

paraphi

goou111
What the hell is going on in this country when we can have states where having 15 grams of pot is totally legal and another state it can get you 20 years

Well, different States in the US have different local laws. Surely that's an expression of the democracy, thus demonstrating something works. With regards to multiple offenders, such as this person... He knew the rules.

Personally, I think the US sentencing and prison services are backwards, from the death penalty down, but these are rules that the US people seem to like. Just like guns.

Regards

I consider anyone who allows such things to exist to be an arch criminal right up there with Hitler, Jack the Ripper, and mass murderers and I consider it a crime against humanity to have illegal unlawful laws in place that violate basic common law and the constitutions of every sane and free country, and all the insane and unfree coutnries are completely illegal. Fascism is illegal and the world belongs to ALL OF US, including all the seeds and all the things in it. No one owns them and owns you or me as if we're slaves. That is massive harm. Those laws are not democratic for they are CRIMES.

I consider any person that does not flagrantly oppose those laws or stand up for anyone targetted by arch villians to be a co-Jack the Ripper covered in the blood of innocents.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Democracy does not mean any state or any region has the right to veto the human rights that are supreme, and to veto basic common law, or ever treat anyone like a slave or deprive them of their equal rights to the land and resources of this world. They are simply about, thou shalt not kill, steal, or run ponzy schemes of fascism against the people. PERIOD. States are not supposed to law makers, for most laws don't stand on common law and are slavery based, and slavery is the biggest most evil crime there is. States and regions are supposed to be upholding the empowerment, rights and freedoms of all people.

People are supposed to do something whenver an injustice takes place. I would never allow my son to be taken by the nazi's. I would be in that judges face and every politicians face and chew them up and down, and get PI's on them to expose every single diry thing they've done and get them thrown off the public purse and pensions. I would instruct my son to sit in the corner and meditate and not participate with a single one of them or follow any of their directives until he is released.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

OtherSideOfTheCoin
I think regardless of weather or not one supports the legalization of weed this is understandable

he had been found guilty of this same crime 4 times so if he hadn't learned his lesson after the first couple of times then frankly he deserves what he gets.

Sure he might have disagreed with the law as i am sure many of us might but the law is the law and we are all held accountable to the law of the land. If he could not quite get that after repeatedly being found guilty in possession of a banned substance then thats his fault.

I have no sympathy for him.

Well aren't you just better than everyone else?
What "lesson" is he supposed to learn? His wisdom is already greater than the law of the land because he knows that this little plant is quite enjoyable when smoked and a society that would make that prohibitive is insane beyond comprehension.
I have little tolerance for those of you that kneel down to whatever is considered law. There is only one law that I know of and that's "don't hurt others" e.g.
To deny him sympathy is the same as saying you don't expect anyone to fight for a better society and they should just lay down and obey their masters like the little slaves they are.

No drug should be illegal. Let people make their own choices and live as they will.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join