It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Cruz Filibuster Obamcare has started!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

netbound
Can anyone here validate that jobs are being lost due to Obamacare?

Sure.

Welch Allyn, a company that manufactures medical diagnostic equipment in central New York, laid off 275 employees this year, and planned on dropping roughly 10% of their workforce over the next three years.

"Health care reform mandates" are to blame for up to 400 jobs being dropped at Orlando Health.

One of the biggest medical device manufacturers in the world, Stryker confirmed 1,000 jobs were lost due to Obamacare.

Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center cited "the challenges of health care reform" while announcing the elimination of 950 jobs.

The medical device tax also claimed positions at Boston Scientific. The company first announced in 2011 that they would be cutting between 1,200 and 1,400 positions. Then in January of this year, they announced further layoffs for up to 1,000 employees.

Smith & Nephew, a global medical technology firm, dropped 100 employees.

A Blue Cross/Blue Shield health insurance office was closed, resulting in another 100 or so employees hitting the unemployment lines. The reason? Complexities in federal regulations and mandates implemented by Obamacare.

In March of 2010, medical device maker Medtronic warned that Obamacare taxes could result in a reduction of precisely 1,000 jobs. That plan became reality when the company cut 500 positions, and scheduled another 500 by the end of the fourth quarter in 2013.

Reading Hospital announced layoffs for 210 workers, and the elimination of another 181 jobs through attrition, citing federal health care reform requirements.

Abbott Laboratories announced a series of layoffs that would result in approximately 1,900 people being out of work. The company cited "U.S. health-care reform and the challenging regulatory environment” as a reason for the job cuts, then proceeded to donate money to politicians wanting to change Obamacare.

The Obamacare Job Graveyard
edit on 24-9-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

sonnny1

netbound

Sure.

Welch Allyn, a company that manufactures medical diagnostic equipment in central New York, laid off 275 employees this year, and planned on dropping roughly 10% of their workforce over the next three years.

"Health care reform mandates" are to blame for up to 400 jobs being dropped at Orlando Health.

One of the biggest medical device manufacturers in the world, Stryker confirmed 1,000 jobs were lost due to Obamacare.

Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center cited "the challenges of health care reform" while announcing the elimination of 950 jobs.

The medical device tax also claimed positions at Boston Scientific. The company first announced in 2011 that they would be cutting between 1,200 and 1,400 positions. Then in January of this year, they announced further layoffs for up to 1,000 employees.

Smith & Nephew, a global medical technology firm, dropped 100 employees.

A Blue Cross/Blue Shield health insurance office was closed, resulting in another 100 or so employees hitting the unemployment lines. The reason? Complexities in federal regulations and mandates implemented by Obamacare.

In March of 2010, medical device maker Medtronic warned that Obamacare taxes could result in a reduction of precisely 1,000 jobs. That plan became reality when the company cut 500 positions, and scheduled another 500 by the end of the fourth quarter in 2013.

Reading Hospital announced layoffs for 210 workers, and the elimination of another 181 jobs through attrition, citing federal health care reform requirements.

Abbott Laboratories announced a series of layoffs that would result in approximately 1,900 people being out of work. The company cited "U.S. health-care reform and the challenging regulatory environment” as a reason for the job cuts, then proceeded to donate money to politicians wanting to change Obamacare.

The Obamacare Job Graveyard
edit on 24-9-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

No man, didn't you hear the darkknight? all business owners are evil and are only watching out for themselves, don't blame obamacare, blame every single evil business owner out there!!!

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
reply to post by freedom12

You should watch "House of Cards" on Netflix if you have it.

Politicians are only about one thing: themselves. If making their constituents happy somehow aligns with what's best for them -- great. Sadly, it doesn't always work that way.

There is an old saying...

Good people don't get into politics.
edit on 24-9-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

House of Cards is awesome! Can't wait for season 2.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

DarkKnight76
reply to post by eLPresidente

So basically, it's not the ACA, it's the business owner not wanting to provide their already grossly underpaid employees health insurance or pay the fine. So again, it's not really the ACA it's a greedy business owner afraid he might make a little less than he already does.

I'm just curious why the same system works in Massachusetts?

Who told you it works in Massachusetts, Mitt Romney?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by netbound

Before Obamacare.........

After Obamacare.....

I guess that's what happens when we have to wait for the bill to pass before we can read what's in it?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
President Obama has given large corporations and members of congress and their entire staffs complete immunity from Obamacare.

But..if it was soooo good, shouldn't they all be in on it too!?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Our local hospital just laid off a bunch of nurses because obamacare caps the hospitals rate increases at 1.65%. That`s not even enough to cover the rate of inflation of 2+% so they had to lay people off.so, yeah in that sense people did lose their jobs as a direct result of obamacare.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

eLPresidente
President Obama has given large corporations and members of congress and their entire staffs complete immunity from Obamacare.

But..if it was soooo good, shouldn't they all be in on it too!?

That's all I needed to know.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I think Rand Paul should introduce a motion on the Senate floor today.

An exception should made to allow a member of the House to speak in favor of their position on the PPACA funding.

I think they should allow Nancy Pelosi to read the PPACA in its entirety.

THAT should kill off any support for the whole issue !!

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

xuenchen
I think Rand Paul should introduce a motion on the Senate floor today.

An exception should made to allow a member of the House to speak in favor of their position on the PPACA funding.

I think they should allow Nancy Pelosi to read the PPACA in its entirety.

THAT should kill off any support for the whole issue !!

Nancy? Reading the PPACA ?

She passed it without reading!

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

An alternative has been proposed sir, many times.

Give everyone the same healthcare that Congress gets.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Not much to add yet- im still watching- but Rubio just owned the floor.

He moved up a couple notches for me.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Senator Lee up now.

Rand Paul is supposed to speak later.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Common Good
Not much to add yet- im still watching- but Rubio just owned the floor.

He moved up a couple notches for me.

Rubio sounded good, but I am cautiously skeptical of his intentions. 2014 elections are creeping up and they will do and say anything to deceive their constituents. I can't forget the image of Rubio following Kerry around like a little puppy dog after Kerry spewed lies to drag us into a war with Syria.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Erica1631

true. Before- I really didnt give him much thought- but after today- I will listen to what he has to say in the future instead of tuning him out.

The syria war was a big turn off for me- so if he was pulling the coattail of Kerry as you suggest- well then that
makes me a little weary of him a well.

Its funny though- how when people fillibuster- you get to see more of their character on the floor than you will all year long listening to them speak in conventions or on interviews. You get to see them more personally.

But we still cant let that blind us- we have to keep an open opinion on most of these people.

They are there to represent us- not to be rockstars.

Thanks for your imput

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Ted Cruz now reading tweets on the senate floor. He did this the first time when he backed Rand Paul's 13 hour drone filibuster.

#MakeDCListen is now the top trend on twitter, in regards to this #DEFUNDOBAMACARE situation.
edit on 24-9-2013 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

No one has lost their jobs due to Obamacare the reason why people are losing jobs is because of corporate greed like always. Insurance companies thinking they may lose some profit to Obamacare started jacking rates up on employers and employers not wanting to lose their profit margin started cutting people. The funny part is the insurance companies complaining about Obamacare seeing how Obamacare makes people buy insurance it's nothing but welfare for insurance companies. So why are insurance companies jacking up rates for no reason.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by eLPresidente

That is incorrect, no one is exempt. People will believe anything that backs up what they already believe or hope to be true or their existing worldview. Check this:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I don't know enough about the ACA to debate it but I can research whatever points anyone wants to point out. It's always better to debate using facts that are backed up by legit sources vs opinions of anyone on either side that is biased one way or the other.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
This is getting good...

We have (D) Durbin (R)Sessions & (R) Cruz

having what amounts to a debate on the merits of the AMA....

Hopefully this trend continues, and the folks can actually hear a real discussion on the Senate floor...

The people deserve this kind of debate on such a touchy issue...

Regardless the outcome tomorrow, at least we have some Senators who are willing to go to the floor and be heard on record.. not hitting MSM shows to spout BS...

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
If my understanding is correct, here is the situation:

The patient protection and affordable care act was signed into law, and it includes legal mandates like the individual mandate (which is unconstitutional IMO) that will still be in effect even if "Obamacare" is defunded. The mandatory spending from this legislation will also be unaffected; the only thing on the chopping block is discretionary spending, which includes money for things like research, medicare, medicaid, emergency services, etc.

I think the ACA is terrible legislation, but it seems to me that defunding it would do significant harm and almost no good. What specifically do you (pro-defunders) want to defund and why?

Here is a link to a pdf that summarizes discretionary spending in ACA:
assets.opencrs.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join