It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weapon use (during crime) in Australia

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   

rockoperawriter
reply to post by kudegras

but gun crimes in america are substantially less in areas with less restrictions on owning a firearm. there are no drive bys because one shot and the car stops dead, the shooters won't know where the shot came from and they can all be taken out beyond the range of their guns with better trigger discipline. if people know how to use guns properly, keep them handy, and know how to defend, and have basic tactical knowledge, survival skills instead of playing grand theft auto all day, even if the odds are 5 to 1 in the enemies favor no enemy could make it to the beach. the responsibility of home defense, self defense, and defense of the defenseless are the responsibility of all able bodied men and women, harnessing flesh, fire, and steel. why is it that in my part of america there has never been a mass shooting? every truck has a few rifles in it. if shots are fired, with shots they are answered. what do you think of the police in Australia? are they corrupt in larger cities? how ridiculous are the laws? are Australians allowed to question the carbon tax without huge fines? how does gun restriction fit in with darwins self preservation?

In Sydney, if you show a cop respect (and by that I mean treat them like a regular person, and be nice) they'll treat you well.

Sometimes, so long as you've only done something small, they might even let you off.

But, what does that have to do with gun crime?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

kudegras
reply to post by Unrealised

Dont need to make them when you have them ready to go in your kitchen, but making it illegal to carry them puts a bit of fear into most people, which in this case fear is good. And I understand how controlled we have become but if it saves my eighteen your old daughters life I am all for it.

Exactly.

Seeing as most gangs are either Asian or Middle-Eastern imports, they don't have that same patriotism towards Australia as most do, and don't really like Australians in general.

Guns in their hands would be disastrous.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by rockoperawriter

Its a different world over here, much more laid back. We have crime but I think per capita probably less than the US. Most police here are good people just doing a job, I think you run the risk of of fines for the least little thing. Its all about revenue raising here, the carbon tax is a load of crap and about to dissapear.
A price on carbon is impossible to police and more revenue raising from the outgoing Labour government.
What I read about the US, I feel for you guys and understand why you feel the need to arm yourselves, its just not like that here just yet.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   

I'm in Melbourne Mate and some areas have increased gang related crime such as the Sudanese gangs in Dandenong, all new immigrants take time to settle in and adjust. Its understandable that a change in culture will affect the young in this way especially when you consider that the waves of immigrants before them have already been through this. We had the Vietnamese gangs in the late 70's and early 80's most of these guys are now respected business people, Again I agree with what you said about gun control but if someone wants to commit a gun related crime I am sure they will still find a gun.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Perhaps

I stand corrected. It is per 100,000 people.

No no nooooo!!

Do not allow yourself to stand corrected!!

The premise of your OP is correct!!

In the footnotes there is no reference to Explanatory Note #17.

Your figures are correct per population... so we have 17475 sexual assualts per 100 000 then??

Please let me be wrong, but from looking into earlier stats... Australia is a horrible place if Yer a hottie. But the gun stats are an eye opener.

Sure some will say, 'if the ladies were allowed guns, they wouldn't be assaulted.' Soooo, they'll be shot instead if everyone had a gun?

More than 60 x's more gun related deaths-assaults in Merica vs Australia per 100,000. If every American had a gun...this number would go down?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
That's a set of statistics for Australia to be proud of.

America is a different place. Quite exceptional in many respects.
America is always looking with an open mind for solutions to it's violent, militaristic culture.
Looking for solutions... That include MOAR GUNZZZZZZZZ!

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

The emoticon with that last phrase...classic.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
ABS gets their statistics from the state government who are very well known to fudge the figures to make themselves look good.

With these fudged figures the Australian government wouldn't give the states enough money for policing & states had to rely on themselves for the cash so is backfiring on them.

44 per 100,000 maybe they were just counting the Merrylands NSW region that year.

I have a lot of friends in NSW police force & they are saying gun crime is spirlling out of control as they have very limited resources and manpower.

Also they tell me (& I have asked friends of ours that are doctors & nurses) you are more likely to live from a gunshot wound then a knife wound. A gun shot wound is normally very clean because the bullet is hot whereas a knife has jagged edges & if the person turns it they have no hope in repairing the damage.

Gun control is not the answer in the US, more people died from being hit with a hammer than died from a gun. So maybe they should outlaw hammers while they are at it.
edit on 24-9-2013 by Oneggod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Oneggod

So they under report gun stats, but don't do the same for sexual assaults??

Makes no sense to me...but I don't live down-under. Maybe they are on a curing spree....

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

it varies from state to state. in oregon, they use horses in rodeos inhumanely and the cops are in on it, in spokane a lot of the cops are hells angels, many of the california cops shoot first then write tickets, or if you are black, or just plain poor, they will beat you with clubs. in australia is there a heavy presence of mexican drug cartels? coc aine in particular? at least neighboring countries have to make a plane or boat to get their drugs in

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kudegras

when it gets like that there it will be like poland in 1941

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Oneggod
ABS gets their statistics from the state government who are very well known to fudge the figures to make themselves look good.

With these fudged figures the Australian government wouldn't give the states enough money for policing & states had to rely on themselves for the cash so is backfiring on them.

44 per 100,000 maybe they were just counting the Merrylands NSW region that year.

I have a lot of friends in NSW police force & they are saying gun crime is spirlling out of control as they have very limited resources and manpower.

Also they tell me (& I have asked friends of ours that are doctors & nurses) you are more likely to live from a gunshot wound then a knife wound. A gun shot wound is normally very clean because the bullet is hot whereas a knife has jagged edges & if the person turns it they have no hope in repairing the damage.

Gun control is not the answer in the US, more people died from being hit with a hammer than died from a gun. So maybe they should outlaw hammers while they are at it.
edit on 24-9-2013 by Oneggod because: (no reason given)

They fudge their numbers?

Is that a fact? I'd love to see some references on that one, as I have done nothing but give you references to look at.

Also, what you said about not paying the police enough money, if it wasn't for false figures, is a lie.

There is always a need for police, and even though we only have a small murder rate, they would rather see it gone. Wouldn't you?

As for your hammer comment, please show me some proof.

Thank you.
edit on 24-9-2013 by Unrealised because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

The fudge all the figures, serious crime is underestimated & petty crime is overestimated.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Oneggod
reply to post by ChuckNasty

The fudge all the figures, serious crime is underestimated & petty crime is overestimated.

I guess that would make sense. To lowball your serious gun crimes AFTER you take away the guns to show that it worked. Then to say, "look, we need more protection," then put up camera's everywhere for everyone's protection. All the while, the crime has been the same or have increased.

Their move to total population control gets easier after that. They'll start saying, "look, now our immigrant problem is a huge problem," implement a national ID (not sure if the Aussies have that) and implement a national tracking system - for everyone's protection.

Once you get total control - you can do whatever your heart desires with the ability to squish any future threat before it becomes a big one. If it ever does get out of control - mess up the economy, make everyone desperate - they'll welcome govt intervention again. Repeat.

It'll be a 'free' society that rivals medieval Europe. Rich (CEOs , Bankers, Corps, Etc) are the new kings and lords, the others - surfs and peasants working for scraps and pledging their lives to the new kings.
edit on 26-9-2013 by chucknasty because: spelling

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   

InverseLookingGlass
That's a set of statistics for Australia to be proud of.

America is a different place. Quite exceptional in many respects.
America is always looking with an open mind for solutions to it's violent, militaristic culture.
Looking for solutions... That include MOAR GUNZZZZZZZZ!

or promoting self discipline. it's more like WE NEED SOME TRIGGER DISCIPLINE IN HERE DISCIPLINE! DISCIPLINE. yeah i get throbbing gristle stuck in my head a lot

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join