It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More "Good Guys with Guns" not a Solution: Have Your Say

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MysteriousHusky

Another thing worth noting about your "Wikipedia" piece, And I'm going to center on a specific portion to show inconsistency.

They mention Mississippi. I can speak to this because I have resided here since I came from Texas after Katrina with Blackwater.

Anyway - Open carry has existed on the MS state constitution for over 196 years. I can tell you from experience that in 7 years I have never seen another individual "civilian" carry a weapon in public in this state. The MS constitution guarantees the right - to open carry - of all residents, without permit and their exercise of this right shall not be called into question.

So then begs the question why don't we see people take advantage of it? Because the municipalities were playing the "Oh he had a gun in a holster therefore it was concealed and he's going to jail" when put to a question one police chief said that "a weapon with a piece of fishing wire wrapped around the backstrap of a gun hanging from someones neck would be considered concealed and therefore you would be arrested."

It finally got so bad that the state legislature had a to write a new bill just to clarify what open carry meant versus concealed. But when this new bill came up suddenly it became common knowledge that the people of MS had the right to open carry so of all things a "district judge" imposed an indefinite hold on the bill as being "constitutionally vague" based on arguments from local police such as "What happens if we respond to a bar (drinking establishment) and its patrons are all brandishing weapons?" Now remember this new bill did nothing more than define the difference between open and concealed carry but suddenly it was being referred to as " The open carry law." As I stated earlier MS had open carry for near two centuries.

Long and short the MS Supreme Court took the case and unanimously passed the bill citing the district judge for being in error. And now as of August 30th 2013 the residents of MS now know they have the right to open carry without permit. A law passed 196 years ago.

My point is you cannot use MS as an example of an open carry state for statistical purposes without taking into account the bigger picture.

As a side note = after the passage of HB 2 many Law enforcement agencies using tax payer funds purchased no weapons on premises signs and passed then out to local businesses.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Krakatoa

Quantum_Squirrel

Krakatoa

Quantum_Squirrel

Although i believe that guns are so inherent in American culture to ever remove them.

Americans seem to not grasp the basic correlation between.....

Lots of lots of people having guns...

And lots and lots of people getting shot...

So far (it seems the actual data and events show) that lots and lots of people in a "gun free zone" get shot. So, does that sound safer to you?

Please let me browse your 'Data' and proof of this statement

If you read it I said "it seems", and if you believe the MSM, which many gun-control advocates do, all the big stories and coverage of mass shootings have been in, you guessed it, gun-free zones (schools, movie theaters, and now a U.S. Naval Yard). I have yet to see a mass shooting story taking place at a firing range, in a police station, or anywhere that have well trained and armed people.

Am I missing something?????

Bashir ran a segment yesterday called "One Nation Under Gun" (note the jab). It was the most theatrical bunch of nosey emotional propaganda I have ever seen by anti constitutional interests broadcast on television.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by F4Driver

Having lived in GA, I can attest to Kennesaw and the low amount of crime. I never felt more save walking in an area close to Atlanta, then when I was in Kennesaw.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

So there is your first problem, you are watching Bashir on TV.
You seem to have boosted his viewership from 5 to 6. He really should send you a thank you card.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

So Mr gun rights is going to tell me who to watch now!

Yea man I watch them all. You have to know what the masses are being feed. Even conservative talk show and tv guys have someone watch the other side constantly. Where do you think they get their sound bites ect. That's ok but I am not one to have the definition of what the other side is up to spooned out to me one way of the other.

I see you like to have all your stuff chewed by others, filtered out and then spoon feed to you in a conservative context. Probably the only way you can handle it.

Macman does Piers Morgan via Breitbart

I call this sort the "spoon feed' sort. Its the sort that gives my sort a bad name. They don't watch it themselves but have someone watch it for them. Chew their food for them.

Macman again on Wasserman Schults via Breitbart

edit on 24-9-2013 by Logarock because: n

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Touchy aren't we.
I guess sarcasm isn't conveyed well over the internet.

Sure thing I guess.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Just remember that we are on the same side here.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Logarock
reply to post by macman

Just remember that we are on the same side here.

Are you? Are you really...
Additionally, can polls on gun control be trusted? Or are all polls inherently flawed? You decide! (Giving you more to chew on).

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Nom, nom, nom.....so, nom, nom, I still haven't heard, nom, nom, nom, anyone list a mass shooting, nom, nom, nom, that has not taken place in a "gun-free" zone.....nom, nom, nom......still waiting....and enjoying the buffet of "news".

edit on 9/24/2013 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other fat-finger errors

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Polls, regardless can be skewed to reflect what someone wants.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

macman

I have worked as a statistician and an analyst. The saying goes, "Figures don't lie. But liars can figure!"

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

Back in August 2012 I applied for my Mississippi CCW. I asked the Mississippi Highway Patrol Supervisor once I had my permit and took the enhanced class, ( Meaning I have to shoot a basic qualification course and pass demonstrating proper safety control as well as accuracy all while drawing from various types of concealed and open holsters.) could I carry my gun in a paddle holster openly? He said no.

Keep in mind this is before HB2 passed.

He went on to explain that if I had no permit my gun would be concealed by the holster. However once I had my permit my gun had to be completely concealed. I said that didn't make any sense. He said that my gun could not imprint (be identified as a gun under my shirt or pants), I quickly informed him of the Mississippi attorney general's opinion on that very issue and it was to the contrary what he just said. He then told me that I could be arrested if someone complained or felt threatened. At this point I agreed to disagree and finished up the interview and finger printing.

About 2 weeks later the FBI background check cleared me to receive my CCW and I took the enhanced class. For those of you that may not be aware the enhanced sticker allows me to carry in schools, and court houses (excluding court rooms), and any other state government buildings. It also allows me not to be charged with a crime for carrying in private business that have no gun signs.

The way that the Mississippi constitution has been interpreted on the concealed weapons issue has finally been fixed by HB2.

I would recommend that you do the extra step and get your ECCW it will save you a lot of BS if your shirt accidentally covers part of your gun during open carry.

As soon as I heard HB2 was passed and signed by the Governor I began open carrying immediately well before the July 1 date it was set to go into effect. I did get harassed while shopping at Walmart in Gulfport by an off duty Gulfport Police Detective, which I schooled on the 2nd Amendment and the Mississippi constitution. It was done so well that some of the people within earshot applauded and 2 of them were fellow CCW holders and proved it. The Detective didn't say another word.

Since moving to northern Nevada I have enjoyed openly carrying here and plan on getting my CCW here as well. I just don't like having to give them my SN's for every gun I wish to carry. I also have to qualify on each gun I wish to carry. ( which I don't have an issue with. )

What we see is a further division between those that support our right to keep and bear and those that think we shouldn't be allowed to.

When your life is in immediate danger by another person armed or not I choose to be responsible for my own safety and security, if you choose not to, remember this; when seconds count the cops will always be only a phone call and minutes away.

ETA:

Late one night at a gas station I was approached by an armed man. He tried to rob me and when I told him that I had no cash, he wanted me to go into the gas station and use my debit card to get him some cash. He made the mistake of being too close and having a weak grip on his 9mm hot point. I could tell he was scared so I laughed and he got even closer with his gun nearly touching me. Had I not had training on how to disarm him I likely would have been shot. I took his gun from him kicked him in the nuts then racked it ejecting a live round on the ground making sure the safety was off, I issued an ultimatum "make any move and I will kill you."I held him at gun point for nearly 7 minutes until the police arrived.

Had I not had the skill set to be successful I could have been killed. Shortly after that I had a discussion with my wife and I got my ccw. Since that day I carried my .45 with me, even to work where I was not allowed to have even a spent shotgun shell in my vehicle.

My conclusion is more gun in the hands of more people over time will make us a safer and more polite society. We will always have evil, crazy people in this world and I can assure you taking the guns out of the hands of people that use them properly and responsibly will only lead to more violent crimes and a requiring more powerful government that will place the final nail in the coffin on our rights.

I suggest that people that disagree and choose to go unarmed to wear a shirt with the words " Un-Armed Victim" on it to show your support for your opinion.

Gun Free zones are victim disarmament zones no amount of police can protect everyone, it not their job in the first place.

edit on 24-9-2013 by SWCCFAN because: added text

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

macman

I have worked as a statistician and an analyst. The saying goes, "Figures don't lie. But liars can figure!"

I think it was Mark Twain that said " there's 3 types of lies. Lies, damned lies, and statistics"

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by EverydayInVA

Statistics can be easily manipulated. Perhaps we should observe a treaty of truce regarding statistical manipulation to get to the truth!

<< 3  4  5   >>

join