It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani wants constructive dialogue and to end rivalry with the US

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

This approach can be useful for efforts to prevent cold conflicts from turning hot. But to move beyond impasses, whether in relation to Syria, my country’s nuclear program or its relations with the United States, we need to aim higher. Rather than focusing on how to prevent things from getting worse, we need to think — and talk — about how to make things better. To do that, we all need to muster the courage to start conveying what we want — clearly, concisely and sincerely — and to back it up with the political will to take necessary action. This is the essence of my approach to constructive interaction.

Source: Iranian President Hassan Rouhani’s Washington Post op-ed, annotated

Well well well... Who saw this coming? I, for one, can say I didn't see it.

Is this a result of the sanctions working, is it a clever ploy to but more time for their ally Syria, are the world's leaders finally coming to their senses?

Here is what I think. I think that Russia, Syria, Iran, and maybe even China is trying to sway the world's opinion against US foreign policy to make the US look like the aggressor in these conflicts. That way they'll limit the ability of the US war machine to wage war and launch attacks without severe backlash at home and abroad.

Look how weary the US populace is against striking Syria. After the Iraq intelligence debacle, can you blame the US population for being weary about the government's intentions? They can't even balance a budget because of bi-partisan foolishness.

Do you all think Iran's president is serious, or is their a more sinister plot afoot?
edit on 20-9-2013 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-9-2013 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

Diplomacy is often the best solution. Looking back on recent history, warfare doesn't look as favourable an option.

As for the Iranian President being serious, why not? What have they got to gain for not being serious? But is it an opportunity for them to expose how much influence Israel has over the U.S?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
We don't negotiate with terrorists

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I don't think Iran wants war with the U.S., The whole region is war weary with many fighters likely coming out of iran in the many conflicts that took place. If the US doesn't accept his offer to at least try and work on their relationship that shows you how interested the US is in a war with Iran, and how poor their diplomatic policies actually are.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

They have plenty to gain. They can get the sanctions eased and then go on right to pursuing their nuclear program. Personally, I don't see the big deal about them wanting nuclear power, but the US government doesn't seem to want that, so with that being said I'm not sure who far talks will go.

I'm thinking they'll say we can get establish peace in Syria, IF, you ease sanctions and let us pursue our nuclear program with UN inspections.

Has to be something it it for both sides.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

muse7

Is that why the Republicans won't negotiate with the Democrats and the Democrats won't negotiate with the Republicans?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Darolla

Well here's how, the surprisngly hawkish, Kerry responded to the news.

Secretary of State John Kerry said Thursday that Iranian President Hassan Rouhani's overtures to the West have been "very positive" but sounded a note of caution.

"Everything needs to be put to the test," Kerry said of comments Rouhani made in an interview with NBC News, declining to give a timetable for when President Obama might meet with him
"We'll see where we go," he said.

"And at the right moment, I think that the White House and the State Department will make clear where we are headed."

Source: worldnews.nbcnews.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

What does the Ayatollah think about this as he is the true ruler of Iran.
I don't think their president really has much say over the country.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

muse7

a perfect «terrorist» proposition.

a good discussion about this topic here

amazingly w/ only 1Flag like this one... it makes you think in what ppl really care... horror, drama and blood!
edit on 20-9-2013 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

I was wondering that too. That's why I'm not too sure about the real reason for this peaceful tune. I remember Iran's last president wanted dialogue as well, but his tune would change from peaceful to bellicose in no time.

I'll have to do some digging.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

muse7

Funny I see the USA negotiating with Isreal and Saudi Arabia all the time.....

O and it wants to sell Weapons to terroist groups in Syria............

O wait you mean terroists the MSM said are baaaaaaad ok then.
edit on 20-9-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
it would be wise for the US gov to welcome such an overture even if they believe it to be a trick or disingenuous just for the sake of how america appears to the world of late.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

muse7

Since the US is at the table I do not see how you can say there is not a terrorist present. The US greed for more resources is a constant reason for war an terrorism around the world. What about CIA and south America and Cuba?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Good point. I think this is what was really meant.

"We don't negotiate with terrorist (unless it fits our agenda)"

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

instigatah
it would be wise for the US gov to welcome such an overture even if they believe it to be a trick or disingenuous just for the sake of how america appears to the world of late.

When it comes to this move, if they do or don't won't be because of how the world views the US, but simply how the move would look for trying to sway votes and campaign donations to become the next president after Obama.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Here is what I think. I think that Russia, Syria, Iran, and maybe even China is trying to sway the world's opinion against US foreign policy to make the US look like the aggressor in these conflicts.

You need to think again. In these conflicts the US is the aggressor. What did Afghanistan do to warrant an invasion by the US? All Bush had to do was provide proof Bin Laden was behind 9/11 and they would have handed him over Bush chose war instead. America invaded Iraq on nothing more than a bunch of lies. We can thank Israel for that. But Benny said he was sorry so that makes up for the thousands of our people dead because of that lie. America has placed sanctions against a nation for it's LEGAL nuclear program instead of placing sanctions against a nation with a illegal nuclear program like Israel.

Now America wants to bomb Syria without any proof of the government being in the wrong. How can anyone say America is not the aggressor.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

muse7

You didn't get the memo? The Israeli lapdogs in the American government wasn't able to bully the president into labeling Iran as a terrorist government.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

serious or not...they have to try.

That is their job for which they are employed to do.

Talk, act like civilized men and MAYBE....if they earn it, we will trust them once again.

As of now....I would trust almost anyone over the US government ......they need to start thinking differently ....their mentality is stagnant and stalling ......

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

majesticgent
Here is what I think. I think that Russia, Syria, Iran, and maybe even China is trying to sway the world's opinion against US foreign policy to make the US look like the aggressor in these conflicts.

The US government is the aggressor...

edit on 20-9-2013 by gladtobehere because: italics

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I do believe that if their supreme leaders were out of the picture Iranians would be happier.
My godmother use to tell me how beautiful Iran was during the late 50's and 60's.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join