It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dreamscape (1984)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Last night i watched the movie "Dreamscape" and i still wonder how the hell i've missed this little gem.
For sometime now, everytime i logged in to my IMDB account, this was the first movie displaying in the "recommended for you ", so for a change i decided to follow the "all wise" imdb recommendation and 1 hour and 30 minutes later i was like WOW....

A government funded project looks into using psychics to enter people's dreams, with some mechanical help. When a subject dies in his sleep from a heart attack Alex Gardner becomes suspicious that another of the psychics is killing people in the dreams somehow and that is causing them to die in real life. He must find a way to stop the abuse of the power to enter dreams.

www.imdb.com...

Apart from the obvious part of the movie, which is the study/manipulation of dreams, there was a ton of conspiracy references.
a)Mind control
b)remote killing and the use of psychics
c)Agencies and agents that even the President cannot touch (quote from the movie: Even the CIA is afraid of these people)
and more....

The cast is brilliant(Dennis Quaid, Max von Sydow, Christopher Plummer and Kate Capshaw) and director Joseph Ruben did a great job.

I highly recommend it and i hope that you enjoyed it as much as i did.
edit on 19-9-2013 by Phantom traveller because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

That was an interesting movie and very spooky to boot.

I have watched a lot of movies and that one still pops into mind every once in a while, high praise indeed.
edit on 19-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Nice one - cheers OP , i'll watch it tonight.

I'd use an emoticon - but they look crazy aha.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
You got to be kidding. That movie sucked canal water. Corny as heck

edit on Thu September 19th, 2013 by damwel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

Hope you like it

reply to post by damwel

Well it's a matter of taste. But come on... It was the 80's, every movie was a little corny and cheesy...

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Phantom traveller

Hope you like it

reply to post by damwel

Well it's a matter of taste. But come on... It was the 80's, every movie was a little corny and cheesy...

Indeed, I think I watched it because the bad guy was the same as in the warriors. Please remember all you younguns with your fancy e-pods and batphones, it was the era of $3/day VHS (or beta) rentals. Laserdiscs were out of our league and had something like 20 movies to choose from.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I liked it. David Patrick Kelly was creepy as hell.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

intrepid
I liked it. David Patrick Kelly was creepy as hell.

I was really hoping in one of the dream sequences he would start sining Edelweiss but it never happened!

OP I just watched this the other night...now start looking through a lot of 70's-80's-90's and you will find a lot of what you missed what was once esoteric and subtle is exoteric and now everywhere!
edit on 19-9-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Phantom traveller

Hope you like it

reply to post by damwel

I did, I did

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to

OP I just watched this the other night...now start looking through a lot of 70's-80's-90's and you will find a lot of what you missed what was once esoteric and subtle is exoteric and now everywhere!
16964624" target="_blank" class="postlink">post by abeverage

I love old movies. Most of the times i prefer them, to the new "blockbusters"
Going back to the early 30's i have seen movies that have blown my mind. Sometimes it's not what you see, but the hints that the writer or the director leaves for the imagination.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Sounds right up my alley
I love 80s movies! Cheesiness and all! Thank you for the recommendation! In return, ill share a few in case you've not seen them...not all are 80s movies though...

Brazil.

The 'Burbs

Neighbors (80s or early 90s)

Fast Times At Ridgemont High

Dead Man On Campus

Flatliners

Lost Boys

Trading Places

Heathers

The Birds

Lady in White

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Ahh i remember this i dont think its was well received by critics at the time it does have it flaws but definitely worth a watch especially if you were kid in the 80's.

Other films you may have missed The Gate, Altered States and Dreamscape..very 80's and but very good

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by anomalie

I have watched Altered states and it's one of my favorite films. I can't remember if i have watched "The Gate", but i will check it out.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Im glad you liked it. It was an outstanding movie.

Flatliners is another one from around that time with a similar theme. But Dreamscape was a real mindtwister for me in elementary school.

top topics

join