It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masters degree by portfolio or published work

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I have wrote some books and was wondering if there is anyway I could get a masters degree by publicatio or by portfolio. Surely there is an accredited university that will do this. There are many degrees in creative writing and so surely proof of creative writing is all that should be required?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I believe that anyone should be able to get diploma's with real life experience if the objectives demanded are met accordingly and the right tests are passed with success...

Sadly, this is rarely a possible option. Probably because of god the almighty = Money.

I sincerely hope you find a way to achieve your goal.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by werewolf99

There are many degrees in creative writing and so surely proof of creative writing is all that should be required?

This is a question for ATS?

Why not just inform yourself from the the places your inquiring about.

If your after a diploma through correspondence then why not get in contact with a correspondence school.

If you wish to study and go on campus why not simply inquire at your local university, why pose this to ATS?

Just weird in my opinion, if your really looking for answers to the question you pose or clever if your using the replies to analyze what answers your given for what ever reason there might be to do such.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

A few thoughts:

1. Most degree programs have residency requirements, meaning you have to spend x amount of time taking y amount of credits at the program to get a degree. Some MFA programs are low residency, meaning you show up once a semester, but you still got to do it.

2. Have these books actually been published or just written? If published, (and not just self-published, but someone paid you for it) that will matter a lot more than just having some scripts done.

3. Why do you want a creative writing degree? An MFA will allow you to teach at most universities, but it really won't help you get published. If you just want to get published, then I would keep writing and keep submitting the work.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
In the UK people get PHd's by published or creative work all the time. But for some reason not masters degrees. It seems to me therefore that there should be a masters degree by the same way: but that I have not yet found. As for reason just that if I can pick up an MA using what I already and wrote: or any other qualification: then I probably will. Qualifications never seem to be a bad things: although I would not want to pay too much: but then why would I pay a lot if I have fulfilled requirements on my own?

I suppose the institution that people would have thought would do this would be wikiversity, or at least what we hoped it would have became but didn't: they seemed to wimp out a bit when push came to shove.
edit on 18-9-2013 by werewolf99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Oxford and Cambridge used to do it. Don't know if they still do also some Jesuit colleges used to eg. Loyola. I think Wittgenstein or a guy he was dating got a phd that way from ?Oxford ?

No matter what this route probably won't be advertised- something you'll have to inquire about.

new topics

top topics

join