It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asatru.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Is there any practitioners of Asatru here? If so, how has embracing it turned your life for the better?

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   

RobFox
Is there any practitioners of Asatru here? If so, how has embracing it turned your life for the better?

I have been trying to wield Mjölnir does that count?

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I have an Edda at home and learned a lot about all the stuff and I am German, does this count?

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I studied that religion for a couple of months, reading many of the interpretations of the Ruins and looked at quite a few interpretations of the religion. It is very interesting, there are similarities between the gods and gods of other faiths. I do not practice this religion though, but I do believe that what the gods originally represented was good. It was initially an earth-ism religion where they learned to fight off invaders. Then somehow it got twisted and they became invaders. Well, I suppose that change befell most of the religions throughout history when they gained strength.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I looked into it pretty seriously for a short time; I read the mythology and tried to find out what the rituals were, I made my own runes and went around doing readings for people, I tried deep meditation on the runes themselves and made and drank my own mead. I had blots in the woods at Yule and other holidays.

It was a fulfilling but frustrating experience; most of Asatru has been lost over time, or Christianized. What is out there now is as modern (and inauthentic?) as Wicca. Edred Thorrson has some interesting metaphysical ideas on the deeper meanings of the runes, if you're interested in that.

After starting down the Asatru path, my life went into a huge tailspin; so much that I was considering suicide. I asked the Christian God for help, and things stabilized, so I burned my runes and never looked back. I have noticed that "making the sign of the cross" is actually making the hammer sign, though.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

RobFox

I didn't realize it had been revived. There aren't many followers, are there? Is it something like this...?

Does that qualify as a belief of Asatru?
edit on 9/18/2013 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/18/2013 by WarminIndy because: fixing youtube number

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

For those who don't know, this was about Nehalennia, the goddess of the sea and grapes. Her protection was invoked by sailors and traders. She was from Germanic Belgium and had some comparisons to Freja. Even the Romans thought she was cool enough to worship.

While I might not practice Asatru, I am a Christian, I still think it's interesting how our ancestors worshiped.

new topics

top topics

join