It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pandemic Fears Support Corporate Takeover of Global Food Supply

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
The traditional analysis says pandemic warnings are used to bolster vaccine sales. Not this time. The real agenda here is about controlling our world's food production - handing the reins over to corporate industry - and justifying factory farms as essential "biosecurity," not pushing vaccines. Every news report I've read on the issue makes it real clear.

But factory farms create new diseases and make old diseases resistant to antibiotics and anti-virals. Hmm.

FAO has issued a new warning to the international community that the H7N9 and H5N1 avian influenza viruses continue to pose serious threats to human and animal health, especially in view of the upcoming flu season.

...“We need keep our eyes on the bigger picture of promoting healthy food systems, especially when it comes to animal production and marketing,” ...Restructuring can create healthier, safer markets by developing facilities that employ proper food safety and hygiene measures....”

ALSO SEE:
www.trust.org...
Global Dispatch

ABOUT FACTORY FARMS and DISEASE
["Zoonoses" are diseases that spread from animals to people (and around and back again).]

Many zoonotic disease outbreaks can be traced to concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs), also known as factory farms.

…"Factory farming systems contribute to disease outbreaks in several ways: …They keep animals in cramped and often unsanitary quarters, providing a breeding ground for diseases; they feed animals grain-heavy diets that lack the nutrients needed to fight off disease and illness; and many CAFOs feed animals antibiotics as a preventative, rather than a therapeutic, measure, causing the animals--and the humans who consume them--to develop resistance to antibiotics."

For years, the public health community has warned about the risks of intensive livestock confinement. In 2003, the American Public Health Association called for a moratorium on concentrated animal feeding operations. In 2008, the Pew Commission on Industrial Farm Animal Production, which included a former U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, concluded that industrialized animal agriculture posed “unacceptable" risks to public health. A key recommendation was the phasing out of extreme confinement practices such as gestation crates, which “induce high levels of stress in the animals and threaten their health,” the commissioners wrote, “which in turn may threaten human health."

The looming zoonotic danger

Factory farming, livestock disease, & vaccination evolved together

New Report on Zoonotic Diseases Highlights Dire Consequences of Intensive Farming Practices on the Health of Animals and People

Swine Flu Outbreak -- Nature Biting Back at Industrial Animal Production?

Zoonotic Diseases: The Animal Factory Crucible

ZOONOTIC DISEASES, HUMAN HEALTH AND FARM ANIMAL WELFARE pdf

Workers at Livestock Factories Face Increased MRSA Risk

And in the interests of balanced reporting:

Although factory farming has been a target of much criticism, it has its defenders. Marie Gramer, a veterinarian at the University of Minnesota, said enclosed farm buildings offer "biosecurity" from pathogens carried by wild animals, including birds and wild pigs.

edit on 17/9/13 by soficrow because: format

edit on 17/9/13 by soficrow because: change title, 1st sentence

edit on 17/9/13 by soficrow because: fussing

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Great!

One of many solutions to the problem facing higher life on the planet... too many human beings.

If you boil it all down, you find too many humans are causing too much ruckus for their own good.

The problem is actually just a solution to a greater problem.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by webedoomed

I tricked you and changed the title, first sentence and (?) to emphasize the main point. Which you missed. Or maybe not.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I'm all about free range animal products. I agree with the poster above though who points out is is the population increase. A need has been created and therefore these farms are supplying that need. I don't have to partake but that is evidently how they produce the volume they do. In fact, I almost wish they would do something to end the conditions some of these animals are under (almost - as that is a knee jerk reaction - dont understand it enough to have a super strong opinion other than it appears to be cruel and a stressed animal isn't a healthy one).

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Ok my link isn't a journal but the #2 answer references an expert on what nuclear waste would do if it came into contact with lava. And the core of the earth is hotter than lava so likely wasn't even a reasonable thing to look up. She says if a nuclear device did come into contact with "lava" it would just sit there until pressure began to build. So even then...not good.

www.answerbag.com...

This one explains the steam we see coming from the plant and asserts cores have melted through.

www.globalresearch.ca...

This one tells what a meltdown is and explains some of the nasty chemicals involved. Also says a China syndrome is inevitable.

www.popsci.com...

I added the other two links because they are telling. Basically addressing worse case scenarios, and not justifying in any way that this thing is okay. I still don't fully get the China syndrome. I guess I should watch that movie at minimum to get a sense of what it is.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I'm going to add this as it seems to coincide with some of what you are pointing out.

In a separate study, other researchers have found that high exposure to swine manure spread in crop fields, along with living near swine livestock operations, appears to be linked with MRSA community-acquired infections, a type that continues to puzzle the experts.
MRSA is considered a "superbug" because of the bacteria's ability to fight off treatment, including the antibiotic methicillin. It can wreak havoc in health-care settings such as hospitals and nursing homes, especially among elderly and immune-compromised patients, but it also can occur in the community at large.

www.clinicalconnection.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Zippidee

Thanks - important and definitely linked. Also, water contaminated with antibiotics and diseases get into our groundwater and run-off into streams, rivers and the oceans. Which effectively spreads resistance and helps create new diseases in the wild.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Marie Gramer, a veterinarian at the University of Minnesota, said enclosed farm buildings offer "biosecurity" from pathogens carried by wild animals, including birds and wild pigs.

How can a veterinarian not point out the complete lack of sunshine and fresh air for the enclosed animals? I've seen a super dairy operation rise across the road from a friend's place and the water table was soon contaminated. Same thing with where I used to live when a large pork super farm came on the scene. Is it really a demand for the products, or some people just wanting to earn more money? I've seen far too many news reports of farmers having to destroy livestock because the demand was not there and they couldn't afford to keep feeding them.

I know there's more to it than that, but it needs some kind of more honest review. I just do not trust anyone's expert biased opinion on this any more when greed is so much in the forefront of motivation. I am lucky to be able to buy locally produced meats every few months or so. I became so ill on a frozen packaged chop that I will only buy fresh from the small farm now.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I don't even like pork but noticed at the grocery store the prices were outrageous. So I wanted to see why this might be. Part of the reason appears to be this virus.

"The 2014 pork production forecast has been tempered by continuing reports of porcine epidemic diarreah outbreaks".
www.usda.gov...

This virus (swine influenza), is said to spread the oral/fecal route and is not harmful to humans. It also spread through piglets who are suckling or who are still unborn (it appears 100% in this study were inflicted with this if very young). The study below found new DNA strands and therefore new strains so it becomes impossible to treat. This isn't necessarily new news but coupled with the statement of high reports of this disease in the USDA report, it's concerning.

wwwnc.cdc.gov...

Maybe it's too late for the government to control overcrowding and bad practices. If this stuff is as contagious as the study shows it to be - across the board, they would pretty much have to catch it before symptoms appear in a billion pigs and isolate. I do hope they aren't slaughtering and selling these sick pigs.

top topics

join