It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A definition of Complete and Finished,,, Answered so most people can finally understand!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
No English dictionary has ever been able to adequately explain the difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED.
However, in a recent linguistic conference held in London, England, and attended by some of the best linguists in the world, Samsundar Balgobin, a Guyanese, was the clear winner.

His final challenge was this: "Some say there is no difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED.
Please explain the difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED in a way that is easy to understand".

Here is his astute answer: "When you marry the right woman, you are COMPLETE. But, when you marry the wrong woman, you are FINISHED.
And when the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are COMPLETELY FINISHED!"

His answer was received with a standing ovation lasting over 5 minutes....... I am so glad this definition has finally been answered in a way everyone can understand....! Truth or hoax ? Either way allot of truth even if a hoax....
edit on 17-9-2013 by 727Sky because: ....

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

LOL ....thanks for that ....Its nice to get a good start on the day with another two dots linked ...peace

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   

the2ofusr1
reply to post by 727Sky

LOL ....thanks for that ....Its nice to get a good start on the day with another two dots linked ...peace

Thanks for the bump and reply: With all the serious stuff going on it is always nice to learn something and smile at the same time...

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I don't get it. I get the 'ha ha' part of it that is the alleged explanation, but the rest of it makes no sense to me.

I've never known of any confusion between those two words. They are not the same. I have finished doing many things that were still incomplete.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

BrokenCircles
I don't get it. I get the 'ha ha' part of it that is the alleged explanation, but the rest of it makes no sense to me.

I've never known of any confusion between those two words. They are not the same. I have finished doing many things that were still incomplete.

Incomplete yet you are finished sounds like you gave up before completion ? Finished and complete to me would mean the project you started has a beginning and an end goal to make it right or by definition complete.. When the goal is reached the project is finished and complete... But I am not a word scholar...

Words have different meaning for different people even though there are dictionaries.. I remember when President Clinton said something to the effect, "it depends on what the meaning of "is" is ? If a president can not understand a two letter word and the meaning of "is" then it must be really hard for us pedestrians to grasp the larger concept of "finished and complete".

Anyway some will enjoy the story some won't..

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I find the explanation of complete and finished as described herein acceptable. I DO NOT wish to actually conduct the "experiment" to see if it rings true, as I am sure, the "right" woman I married would be happy to assist me with the whole "ringing" thing by judicious application of a rolling pin to my cranium! Been there, done that, and it didn't have ANYTHING to do with defining "complete" or "finished", but rather WHY I was falling through the front door stupid drunk at 4 AM !
Some experiments just aren't worth repeating !

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

727Sky
No English dictionary has ever been able to adequately explain the difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED.
However, in a recent linguistic conference held in London, England, and attended by some of the best linguists in the world, Samsundar Balgobin, a Guyanese, was the clear winner.

His final challenge was this: "Some say there is no difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED.
Please explain the difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED in a way that is easy to understand".

Here is his astute answer: "When you marry the right woman, you are COMPLETE. But, when you marry the wrong woman, you are FINISHED.
And when the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are COMPLETELY FINISHED!"

His answer was received with a standing ovation lasting over 5 minutes....... I am so glad this definition has finally been answered in a way everyone can understand....! Truth or hoax ? Either way allot of truth even if a hoax....
edit on 17-9-2013 by 727Sky because: ....

Keen eye.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

727Sky

Incomplete yet you are finished sounds like you gave up before completion ? Finished and complete to me would mean the project you started has a beginning and an end goal to make it right or by definition complete..

It could mean that, or it could mean that I wasn't the only person involved. Even though I had finished with my part, the overall project may have still remained incomplete, awaiting for someone else to do their part.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Good point; a group effort never entered my addled brain!!

new topics

top topics

join