It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Government Shutdown 2013

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   

daddio
reply to post by caladonea

When the Lights Go Out On November 13, 2013
thecommonsenseshow.com...

I did not know about this drill until you brought my attention to it. Interesting...150 companies have signed up...I am just wondering the names of those companies. I am also wondering for those 2 days...who will actually be affected? I am thinking logically that when this drill happens; those companies that signed up will be the only ones affected.

By the way...what are your thoughts on a government shutdown happening?

edit on 13-9-2013 by caladonea because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   

GogoVicMorrow

My biggest concerns are for cats and dogs, will they or wont they be living together?

By your statement above I am figuring that it is your particular brand of humor.

So...if the government shuts down does that matter to you?

I am guessing...probably not.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
The federal government wants you to believe they are needed. They are not. I suggest you consider that they are more of a hinderance than anything else. Simply put...the federal government creates nothing...they are nothing but redistributors and managers of existing assets. And these assets don't go away simply because the federal government goes away.

Too many people today believe the federal government creates something. Money, security...etc. They don't. All the federal government does is manage and redistribute. And in my opinion...they do both of those poorly. They distribute our money back to us, they distribute their laws upon us and they distribute their beliefs unto us. Oh...and you know what else they do? They use these assets we provide, to make you believe you need them. This perpetuates the lie.

Please lets get over this idea that we "need" these people and that they actually create or provide something that we otherwise wouldn't have. That is not true. They take what we have, manage what they have taken and then provide what is left back to us after taking their cut.

Or to put it in another way: Walmart has a great deal for you! They will put you to work and they will keep 50% of your money. You must shop for food, etc. at their store and follow all the store rules. They will tell you what you can and can't do, and what you can and can't eat. You will pay to live in their store and you will treat them with respect and watch as they parade around rich and powerful as you stock shelves. Your opinions won't be welcome and they will often do what they want...regardless what you want. They may decide they have to pay you less and take more from you. And please feel free to propagate and create new workers. They like that.

So...NO. I don't care if the government shuts down. I actually prefer it.
edit on 9/13/2013 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Exactly. With limitless amounts of green ink paper printers and of course the feds magick wand that finalizes the feds transmutation of paper to currency. There is no real threat of a govt with no cash. It's smoke and mirrors for the talking talking chimps. A manipulative tool that makes you jump thru the metaphorical hoops that's all. The thing to look out for is the lesser known magick wand that moves decimal points. Ooh scary. China is making one right now. Hence all the recent empty threat news. There is nothing to fear. It's all under control.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
What needs to happen is a "Tax Payer" shutdown. That should fix many of our gov related problems with a quickness.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Don't worry. There' plenty of money that can be printed to help kick this rusty ol' can down the road for a long time.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Oddly, all they would need to do is shutdown the highest levels of the government. Save tons of money and things would actually run better. Our government is far too big.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

caladonea

sulaw
I'm confused... So, if Obamacare (newely added), soc. security, food stamsp, military services, et cetera don't shut down... Then what's the point of a gov't shut down? Sounds from a layman that it's not...

So my questions is how does this effect the everyday tax paying American?

Please advise.

I am confused on how it affects the "everyday tax paying American" too. If anyone knows...please let us know!

I am,as usual, quite late to the game. But.

How will it affect us? It won't really. Except to divide us even further than we are.

The Democrats will blame the Reps for a shutdown that will take money from SS, Medicare, public transport, milk from babies mouths, etc., etc. Republicans will deny all that, of course, as it's not true. However, the low-information voter (love that term) will only hear what the doomsayers say. The Reps will take the blame and lose points, even when the time comes and goes with nary a ripple.

And that is the true purpose of these battles, which the Dems have down to a science.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I am not sure how this wors in America, but I heard about this several times now in the last months and everytime they just raised the limit.
Why should it be different now?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   

To me it sounds like what they call a 'shutdown' could possibly mean 'martial law'.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
They say don't let the government shut down but why is the government the only ones in this country who don't have to watch how they spend money, if anyone else spent like the govt. did you would loose your house your car your ability to feed your family but its ok for govt. to spend our money like it grows on trees. People need to wake up and make the govt. be responsible for its actions and actually do a real budget. Everyone else in America has to budget so why do we let the govt. spend uncontrollably?

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Here is a good article that I think explains (what will and won't happen) if the government shuts down.

union-bulletin.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Here is another good article about what happens to (social security payments) during a government shutdown....

money.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
here's a FYI story/ report (oops forgot the link)
theeconomiccollapseblog.com...
Title: " $5.25 Million For Senate Hair Care And 21 Other Ways Politicians Are Living The High Life At Your Expense"
By Michael Snyder, on September 25th, 2013

...the White House "dog handler" reportedly makes $102,000 per year and sometimes he is even flown to where the Obamas are vacationing so that he can take care of the dog.

#21... In one recent year, more than 1.4 billion dollars was spent on the Obamas.
Meanwhile, British taxpayers only spent about 58 million dollars on the entire royal family.

...According to the Weekly Standard, an absolutely insane amount of money is being spent on the "hair care needs" of U.S. Senators...

Senate Hair Care Services has cost taxpayers about $5.25 million over 15 years. They foot the bill of more than $40,000 for the shoeshine attendant last fiscal year. Six barbers took in more than $40,000 each, including nearly $80,000 for the head barber.

Keep in mind that there are only 100 U.S. Senators, and many of them don't have much hair left at this point.

its a quick read that points out the new-aristocrate class in the USA who pamper themselves like they are something special... consider DEFUNDING most of these money rewards when looking into raising the debt-limit or funding gov't operations...

these same clowns want to reduce food-stamps being paid out
these clowns want to reduce the pension payouts to many state & federal employees even as their perks are increased by setting aside the 'sequestration' on Congress' outlays,,,

~Libertarian~

edit on 28-9-2013 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

caladonea

Here is a good article that I think explains (what will and won't happen) if the government shuts down.

union-bulletin.com...

in Your linked report there is this sentence:

...A default would occur if the government is no longer able to borrow and has run out of cash to pay all the bills coming due. Then, the government has to rely on cash coming in to pay whatever bills it can.

well not exactly....the Federal Reserve just last week held off on the possible 'tapering... i suspect just for this reason(s) - which are the pending govt.
funding problem and the mid october-november Debt Limit increases.

notice that Oct 1st begins the healthcare policy originators...thus a possible revenue source of premiums being paid to insurance-&-government providers

next with the Federal Reserve always ready to exercise more QE... they are not limited to buying just $85Bn per month of US Treasuries/Bonds...if the need were dire enough i expect the Fed Reserve would buy another $85 Billion or so in September just to make it under the deadline for the branches of government to continue operating

the seizure of IRAs or 401Ks is not in the works for this years government funding deadline
...BUT that does not mean that in 2014 Your private IRAs will not be a target to finance the government operations or Debt Limit
edit on 28-9-2013 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
If the gubment were to shut down would THEY get paid ? I'm sure they would...I'm sure they're immune to all the effects.

They work for US , how long are we going to let them run things and shape them into what THEY want?

Makes me ashamed....

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ujustneverknow

You bring up some very good points...food for thought.

Now... on the MSM... they are fear-mongering big time; and saying that if some sort of budget agreement is not made by October 17, 2013...social security payments may not be made after that.

I went on the social security website...and here is what I found about how (social security is financed).

www.ssa.gov...

"How is Social Security Financed?

Social Security is financed through a dedicated payroll tax. Employers and employees each pay 6.2 percent of wages up to the taxable maximum of $113,700 (in 2013), while the self-employed pay 12.4 percent. "

www.ssa.gov...

"The Social Security trust funds hold money not needed in the current year to pay benefits and administrative costs and, by law, invest it in special Treasury bonds that are guaranteed by the U.S. Government. A market rate of interest is paid to the trust funds on the bonds they hold, and when those bonds reach maturity or are needed to pay benefits, the Treasury redeems them."

So...I am understanding that if the above is correct as stated on the SS website...then social security should still be paid.

I keep feeling like I am missing something...I am open for comments.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

That's correct. Congress passed a bill this year prioritizing debt interest payments and SS payments.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Samtzurr

That's correct. Congress passed a bill this year prioritizing debt interest payments and SS payments.

Is this what you are talking about? thehill.com...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join