It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Government Shutdown 2013

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
This comes from the House of Representatives website...

These critical services would not cease:

* Social Security checks for seniors, people with disabilities and survivors would still go out. But new Social Security applications will likely not be processed during any shutdown, as during in the previous shutdowns.
* Troops would continue to serve, though their pay could be put on hold.
* Critical homeland security functions such as border security would continue.
* The Postal Service, which is self-funded, will continue to operate.
* The FAA would keep the air traffic control system open and safe.

However, some services would likely be affected:

* Unemployment benefits: The federal funds that help states pay the costs of their unemployment programs could be affected depending on the length of the shutdown.
* Veterans' services: While VA hospitals will remain open, veterans' benefits could be delayed or reduced, as was the case during the last shutdown.
* National parks: National parks and the National Wildlife Refuge Systems would be among the first places to close if the government shuts down.
* Passports: Passport and visa applications will not be processed. In the 1996 shutdown, over 200,000 passport applications and 30,000 daily visa applications went unprocessed.
* IRS processing of tax refunds for some returns would be suspended.
* FHA new home loan guarantees may cease.
* SBA approval of applications for business loan guarantees and direct loans to small businesses would likely cease, impacting the engines of our economy and potentially slowing the economic recovery.
* Farm loans and farm payments would cease.
* Museums: National museums, including the Smithsonian Institution, would close in the event of a government shutdown.
* Access to the U.S. Capitol: Guide and staff-led tours of the Capitol will be canceled. The House Gallery will remain open.
Source

There is actually a fair bit on that list of interest. Either one, for that matter.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

caladonea
reply to post by MyHappyDogShiner

I think many people are (waking up) and are noticing...they are just not sure what to do about it.

I think your absolutely right Caldonea, I've been noticing for the past 2-3 years the same scenerio being played and nothing ever happening, besides the obvious tax hikes.

It doesn't make sense, it's very annoying, what are we to do? How long will it take for all the masses to wake up

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

The things we do in response to rising prices and rising taxes are the exact things that keep the whole mess crashing along. Trying harder and harder every year to make ends meet is a part of the whole scheme, more debt, less real resources to work with and more debt still to get the things we need to survive.

If more people would get frugal and stop wasting resources, if more people stopped acting pretty much the same way those idiots running the country act, things might change.

The problem starts with us, and it will end with us, but nobody really wants to feel the pain, and there is always somebody right around the corner to offer something to delay the pain that cannot be avoided.

Get frugal, it's being forced on us anyway really, but get really, really frugal and the system may collapse in upon it's own weight, or be forced to do the same (get frugal). The mandatory health insurance debacle is a good example of the types of unconstitutional bull we stupid masses are willing to accept, when in reality it looks like a disguised bailout for the insurance companies to me.

A change must occur, to something that has never existed since the 1870's or thereabouts, Central Banking and Corporations are the problem, and both were un-lawful in the U.S. in the past for good reason, people forget over time.

Next thing you know, frugality will be considered a form of terrorism, lack of participation will be considered a criminal activity...
edit on 12-9-2013 by MyHappyDogShiner because: vat

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MyHappyDogShiner

I think this part is the double edged swords of swords, let me ellaborate~

Get frugal, it's being forced on us anyway really, but get really, really frugal and the system may collapse in upon it's own weight, or be forced to do the same (get frugal).

Now, I as most American's out there each year are working with less (Jobs, Food, Money, et cetera) we are still making it, suriviving~ Even with the tax hikes every year, even with a destabilized economy, forclosure after forclosure and not just residential, it's also happening commercially as well.

1~ How do you get frugal when you have nothing to save because of rising cost of living and inflation? Go, without? Sure to a extent and that extent is what's debatable.

All the while Government spending is rising, rising, GREAT SCOTTS MCFLY! It's not stopping, corp. pigs laying off the bottom to keep a bonus that middle americans make in 1 years worth of work.

Sir, I want to stay civil but I have a problem with your post as what's entailed, sure "us" civillians can be more frugal but to what ends? Common Middle Class working citizens have bent over far enough to kiss our own arses yet you state to be more frugal...

Pardon me when I say, spare me and the problem is on the Political end not working class citizens. Please, don't bring in the unemployed or the wellfare, I pay my taxes and I get screwed every year by playing fair and not taking advantage of the system. For what?

I digress, I'm becoming angry.... I need a smoke... I'll be back~
Nobody, likes me when I'm angry

My apologies, I re-read your post and Ithink I over-reacted a bit.... I won't delete my initial post because I still feel it's relevent to the overal OP....

If I came off as an asshat, you have my sincerest condolences~
edit on 12-9-2013 by sulaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
metanoia-films.org...reply to post by sulaw

The above link is to a somewhat lengthy documentary which makes it clearer how we have been tricked into this place we find ourselves.

It will not end until the scam cannot support it's own weight any longer, stop playing into it and it will have to at least change to even make a sale, and it's all about selling you stuff you really don't need anyway.

The thing that gives me the creeps is when foreign entities move in to take possession of the collateral promised in exchange for the loans written, I believe that has more to do with disarming American's than anything else. Can't have armed people who think they actually own anything fighting with the banks and corporations that have the impression they own it too.

The end of the game is a ways off yet, I hope, but wait till the end and it will be too late to fight it, and that is the reason we are being weakened in every way.

I know people have kids to raise and need housing and all, food, water, electricity...That's fine and dandy, that's reality, been there myself and did everything I could to be frugal and save resources to allow everyone else in the family to pretty much waste what I was trying to save in one way or the other. There is a lot going on here, so much that it is really difficult to even realize it all on a conscious level really.

Sometimes I can almost see enough of it clearly enough, that it scares the crap out of me.

History repeats itself, only technology changes, people will always have a need to trust those who deserve no trust at all...

edit on 12-9-2013 by MyHappyDogShiner because: laDD

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

MyHappyDogShiner
If they are shutting down their operations for lack of funding, maybe they should consider being more frugal with other people's money, like many of us are being forced to do with our own money.

That isn't the case. They have shut down everything (except for Congress, of course) on October 1, if they have not passed a continuing resolution or, gasp, a budget. It's a scare tactic, and it's been over used by Republicans over the past eight years. We don't even flinch when they start in with the "shut down" talk anymore.

In reality, the last time Republicans shut down the government, it did not go very well for them. They ended up losing a significant amount of Congressional seats> Ole Newt knows how damaging it was. That's why it won't happen again. Politically, it's a bad move with mid term elections coming up next year.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Sen. Stabenow on congressional pay if shutdown goes into play

"Lawmakers need to be held accountable and should feel the impact of a government shutdown just like many other Americans will," Sen. Stabenow said. "A shutdown could disrupt Social Security checks, veterans' benefits, hold up exports and cost private sector jobs, and will stop paychecks for hundreds of thousands of people. It's only fair that Members of Congress' paychecks be stopped too.

The last time the government was forced to stop services in 1995-96, more than 400,000 veterans saw their disability benefits and pension claims delayed. Approximately $3 billion in U.S. exports were delayed because export licenses could not be issued, negatively impacting economic growth. Hundreds of thousands of Medicare and Social Security requests were delayed. Thousands of passports remained unprocessed, preventing Americans from traveling overseas. And, for the first time in history, six states ran out of federal unemployment insurance funding used to pay unemployment benefits."

complete article from AP

Pulled quotes from the article regarding the budget and Obamacare

AP

Conservatives making a last stand against President Barack Obama's new health care law and Senate Democrats' resistance to a $20 billion spending cut wanted by many, if not most, Republicans are two of the major problems confronting House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, and other GOP leaders.

The combustible mix raises the possibility of the first government shutdown since the 1995-96 battle between President Bill Clinton and GOP insurgents led by Speaker Newt Gingrich. Republicans got the worst of that battle and have avoided shutdowns ever since.

At issue is what is normally routine: a plug-the-gap measure known as a continuing resolution to fund the government for a few weeks or months until a deal can be worked out on appropriations bills giving agencies their operating budgets for the full 2014 fiscal year, which begins Oct. 1.

On a side note the Fed Reserve is going to have a new chairman (or chairwoman) replacing Bernanke. Does this mean QEs will be halted and what will the markets do if that is the case.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by usernameconspiracy

It's a scare tactic, and it's been over used by Republicans over the past eight years.

Absolutely. Republicans are demon spawn! It's not like the other side ever does this.....huh?

Democrat Senators Threaten Government Shutdown

I was surprised that came up in the top of the first 10 hits, first attempt. I figured I'd be tied up a few minutes finding a good example of how..ahem..BOTH SIDES ARE EQUALLY WORTHLESS.

I do say, this nation is good and truly doomed if we don't put this partisan nonsense down the crapper and move beyond it. Oh, we all have our special feelings...good and bad..for individuals. Parties though?

Well, there ARE two parties. "Politicians" and "Public". Those two don't work together at all and are always fighting.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by usernameconspiracy

I know that, the money keeps rolling in regardless, the only people who see pay cuts or losses are the people who can't stay in business, lose jobs, get laid off.

When one experiences loss of income, one is forced to be more frugal with what resources are available, as soon as employment is found or they are re-called to work, they forget all about being frugal. Never mind all that scraping by, it's over, spend, spend, spend, after a time being frugal doesn't work, what then?. Maybe remembering the lessons learned would help.

Maybe trying to really recognize the difference between wants and needs. I always hear people around me complaining about not being able to afford things they don't even need, like a new phone?, the cost of cable, internet, satellite service, gas, etcetera, saving money to go on vacation?.

Two steps forward, three steps back.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Shut it down, then kick them all out. Replace them with some competent Americans who actually live in the real world. The set a new law that kicks those to the curb who cant follow a budget!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Unfortunately, I lived in the DC area for the better part of 25 years. This is all part of the bread & circuses that they've figured out how to use to keep us "busy".

Republicans vs Democrats. Two puppets, two hands up their rears, one body controlling the two hands.

Can you imagine though, how quickly this would NOT have happened if we were in Syria right this moment ? That's where I'm calling it bread & circuses. Entertainment for the slaves.....

-SN

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Is this really about Civillian "Wants and Needs"? The Have's and Have Not's???

Tax paying citizens work for what little they have, some work 2 or even 3 jobs. For majority of these people, yes they know how to be frugal and go with less while there "down and out".

Do you blame them for wanting more? Not condoning sensless spending, but when any said person who is used to make in a booming economy making 75-100k a yr. now they are making 30-45k because of outsourced jobs, new requirements, lack of experiance (which is b.s and OT please don't elaborate on that) or the worst one, gave your job to a young kid fresh out of collage making half if not less than what you did that job for (common scenerio).

In all retrospect and "literally" speaking of coarse. Parents work hard so that there children can have more than they did and push them to become greater (hopefully) than they ever were, some come out hard workers and brilliant, some become the preverbial "entitled gen." so many threads are created about. Who's to blame? The parents for giving the children more than they should and not teaching them to be "frugal"?

This scenerio and debate seems to be a "passing the buck" at best, non is the wiser and the Government and Civillians all look like jackwagons, all are pointing fingers. None are willing to stand up or even stand down. This is a horrible time in America.

I wish for the best, as there is always "Hope" but frankly speaking... "Hope" is becoming a worn out floor matt, that will need to be replaced with civil disobediance for the educated derelicts who run this donkey show too see and experiance the strife and grief they are putting the average American through.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

beezzer

Don't you find it interesting, though, that whenever there looms a government shutdown, politicians state that people won't get their checks, lives will be lost, puppies will die, etc.

The threat of government shut-down has one certain and real effect and that is on consumer confidence. It is a kick to the balls of the economy every time the threat is made. It broadcasts to the financial community and the world a reminder that our government is dysfunctional and not trustworthy.

edit on 12-9-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
lmao!

All I can say is go right ahead and shut it down.

Just like a little child displaying a temper tantrum, and saying they are going to hold their breath till they get what they want.

Time to stop being naive and coddling the people in Washington DC.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
It doesn't appear that anything is shutdown in a government shutdown. I never knew. Great post OP. You would think foreign policy would be shutdown like we NEED that or something.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

My biggest concerns are for cats and dogs, will they or wont they be living together?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I SERIOUSLY hope those fools don't think that THIS will divert attention away from Syria... Maybe they'll show us another moral degenerate up on stage "twerking" like Miley Cyrus. After all, that's more popular with the Trendies then their beloved guberment. Hey, now there's an idea..how bout Hillary, Pelosi and Feinstein give us some twerking action live from the Oval Office..well, maybe not..lol

As far as a shutdown...I say bring it, lets get this party started already!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

When the Lights Go Out On November 13, 2013
thecommonsenseshow.com...

They won't be coming back online either, we are done. This is not being talked about here? Seriously!!! Does no one give a crap. IGNORANCE is bliss I guess and it is rampant on this site, that is why I have stayed away for a while!!

Wake UP already!!!!! Spread the word!!!! Form Militias NOW!!!! Resist the police round-ups!!!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

sulaw
I'm confused... So, if Obamacare (newely added), soc. security, food stamsp, military services, et cetera don't shut down... Then what's the point of a gov't shut down? Sounds from a layman that it's not...

So my questions is how does this effect the everyday tax paying American?

Please advise.

I'll tell you how it's going to affect you. The economy is going into the dumper and you very likely will lose your job. Your neighbor to. And all the fools who are adamant about getting their way, are going to realize that they truly don't live in a bubble, and they will become acutely aware that all that they think they have, all that they are certain that they have through their own merit will disappear, and just maybe somewhere in that dimly lit brain they'll understand. Maybe it's not about just me.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Making sure Obamacare doesn't go into law and literally ruin the lives of millions of people is more important than the Government shutting down, in my opinion. The fact that we already see hours being cut from full time to 20 hours is a major issue, and not one that should be ignored. And honestly, we have to ask ourselves, who here is really playing politics? The President that would let the Government shut down over this or Republicans that want Obamacare not placed into law?

Who has more to gain (or lose) here?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join