It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Government Shutdown 2013

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I have been watching CNN this morning...and they mentioned a possible government shutdown. I have gathered some information for those who rely on Social Security etc. as their income...and what may or may not happen.

"Obamacare is an entitlement like Medicare and Social Security is, and so the entitlement carries on even under a government shutdown scenario," said Ryan, who is also the House budget chairman." (Paul Ryan)

www.politifact.com...

"Vital Services Keep Running: The term shutdown substantially overstates the matter. The most essential services continue, such as: (1) providing for national security, (2) conducting foreign affairs, (3) providing for the continuity of mandatory benefit payments, and (4) protecting life and property. These services include military, law enforcement, veterans care, and others. Social Security checks are still mailed and self-funded agencies like the Postal Service would continue operating."

www.heritage.org...

"Threats of a shutdown might be a good way to score political points with constituents, but in reality many of the government functions that Americans rely on most—Social Security checks, food stamps, air travel—aren’t stopped even when a “shutdown” is in effect. Add Obamacare to the list."

www.businessweek.com...

I hope that this information will help.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Promises promises promises. Dont get my hopes up.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

thanks for posting;I was worried about the social security.Scince my wife passed it is what helps to make ends meet for my children and me.So I was thinking if the gov shuts down,what happens to the social security.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
They threaten this every year it seems. They'll huff and they'll puff and by the end, they'll look like big blowfish to laugh at. Nothing much will happen as it's never happened for all the years they say this. They don't have the guts, either side, to see this to the end and actually DO what they threaten.

Watch though, the general public will be shook up enough by the time the fateful day comes, whatever screwing they get in the "deal" to avoid it? Most will feel happy to have gotten. It's quite a little scam they have running on this one.

link   

Don't you find it interesting, though, that whenever there looms a government shutdown, politicians state that people won't get their checks, lives will be lost, puppies will die, etc.

link   
I'm confused... So, if Obamacare (newely added), soc. security, food stamsp, military services, et cetera don't shut down... Then what's the point of a gov't shut down? Sounds from a layman that it's not...

So my questions is how does this effect the everyday tax paying American?

Please advise.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Very glad to hear about the SS, as a good friend couldn't make it without it.

So, if that is the case, why would a shut down be bad? (except that National Security would still be running)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

dellmonty

thanks for posting;I was worried about the social security.Scince my wife passed it is what helps to make ends meet for my children and me.So I was thinking if the gov shuts down,what happens to the social security.

You're welcome! I have some very lovely friends that rely on SS...so I know this is important to many.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

I've always had a problem with this type of term. There really is no shutdown at all. October is the new fiscal year and this Admin and Congress will hoop and holler at each other and something will eventually get passed, usually as a stop-gap measure.

DC has yet to pass a National budget in how many years?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

I am not really sure what their (hidden agendas) are; I just know they have some.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

sulaw
I'm confused... So, if Obamacare (newely added), soc. security, food stamsp, military services, et cetera don't shut down... Then what's the point of a gov't shut down? Sounds from a layman that it's not...

Please advise.

I am confused on how it affects the "everyday tax paying American" too. If anyone knows...please let us know!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

chiefsmom
Very glad to hear about the SS, as a good friend couldn't make it without it.

So, if that is the case, why would a shut down be bad? (except that National Security would still be running)

I am really not sure how it would be bad...except for the government workers who are furloughed.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
With no government but with military response - isnt that playing right into the NWO plan?

::rollseyes::

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

caladonea

sulaw

Please advise.

I am confused on how it affects the "everyday tax paying American" too. If anyone knows...please let us know!

Threats, fear and extortion to bring about compliance.

Like when your local PD says such nonsense as "criminals will walk the streets if you dont approve of this tax increase."

"Government shutdown" in reality means nothing of consequence to anyone but all the plebe hear is "my childs school will close" and "grandma will die cold and hungry on the street" so they all write their reps to please take more money from them to keep the sun rising.

A scare tactic for idiots. Unfortunately idiots vote.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Yes... it does all seem to be a (political theatre).

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Questions was answered by a previous poster.

This does nothing to the common taxpaying American... Just a scare tactic... This is a bunch of b.s...~ Damn them bastards~

Too bad there's a good portion of the general public who just play into this facathta~

edit on 12-9-2013 by sulaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
If they are shutting down their operations for lack of funding, maybe they should consider being more frugal with other people's money, like many of us are being forced to do with our own money.

This stuff pops up every year or so, they say it will be necessary to temporarily discontinue non-vital services and the like, maybe they should just permanently discontinue them.. Well that's pretty much what has happened without anyone noticing.

They waste money fixing roads because they don't want it to last, they don't maintain it well enough to appear to care if it does or not, because the shorter time it lasts, the sooner they have an excuse to waste money repairing it .

More and more taxes every year, and less and less services are provided, why doesn't anyone seem to notice that?. More and more for less and less, just like anything else.

Somebody is full of something, and it isn't anything like they have led us to believe they are full of.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Biigs
With no government but with military response - isnt that playing right into the NWO plan?

::rollseyes::

Definitely...food for thought.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MyHappyDogShiner

I think many people are (waking up) and are noticing...they are just not sure what to do about it.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Thank you for not only starting a tread with this news but also educating on what this means. I've been asking what this looks like for the average citizen and until now I've not has this answered.

I'm wanting to know how quickly this would hit State funding. State's get funding from the Federal government so I am guessing this would hit the States in a year (providing they don't do this before Oct 1).

I am so incredibly disappointed to know my taxes have done nothing but increase yet we are broke. How hard can it be to balance the budget? For starters, if I was broke I would not take out credit to give money away to others (loan or otherwise). That is common sense. I know - it's complicated - but not really. They make it complicated.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join