It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exposing the Myths of Settled Science

page: 28
<< 25  26  27   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Arbitrageur

Does "speed up at the beginning of their expansion" mean something different than "increase in velocity from beginning" to you? I don't know what you're asking that I haven't already answered before you asked it. "Speed up" and "velocity increase" seem synonymous in this case.

A spring being sprung occurs usually in a second or so. And because springs are finite, yes obviously they slow down towards the end because their momentum is being directly halted. So I was wondering if considering a spring more like the size and duration of the universe and less like the springs that do their actions in terms of seconds. So say a spring is compressed fully, like the universe was thought to be before the big bang (spring being sprung), and then it is sprung, and you are saying the spring consistently will increase its velocity from the moment of being sprung until it reaches a 'tipping point' in which it begins to slow down, only because it has begun to extend to its greatest point of length, and expend its total amount of stored energy. But it is thought the universe is not like this, because unlike the material binding of the spring as an object to itself, the universe, or its space, does not seem to have as gravity, a strong enough material bind to itself to create a tipping point, in which it begins decreasing momentum and becomes drawn back towards its singularity.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

ImaFungi

So say I was holding a rod made of the universes lightest material, the rod is 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 KM long, and when you pick up one end of a stick the other end seemingly also reacts instantaneously thus is the nature of connection.

No it doesn't work that way. The torque, stress & strain is transmitted and propagated at the speed of sound in the medium. It is much slower than the speed of light.

(* in a solid medium there can be multiple sound speeds)

new topics

<< 25  26  27   >>

join