It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Winter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Ok here is the situation, as a result of a full scale nuclear war. Planet Earth will experience approximately 1000 years of temperatures below 0 Fahrenheit at the equator. This is due t the resulting cloud cover that would result in relation to a full scale nuclear attack. Outside of animals living in the Mid-Atlantic ridge and what corresponds to it in the Pacific ocean. There is also life forms related to bacteria (in all sincerity they look like snot) deep in caves that will also survive (potentially also other life forms that effectively are blind, due to the fact the live in caves). Roughly speaking in about 5 billion years Sol (our sun) will die (effectively).

The likelihood of consciousness equivalent to ours developing and finding a way to escape such a destructive event? Is about as likely as modern day dogs developing wings. I mean the idea that our planet, after such an event, as a full scale nuclear war. Can develop again to society like ours. In the time that is left of our Suns existence. At best, is a hope related to a Royal Strait Flush in Poker

This is it, our existence as a species depends upon our ability to overcome the problems we today have.

Otherwise we are ALL a bunch of idiots that are prepared to interfere with any possibility. That conscious life can escape the Earth once Sol begins to die.

This situation is not difficult to understand....

Any thoughts?

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
A few more wont matter

A Time-Lapse Map of Every Nuclear Explosion Since 1945 -
www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Yes but we're talking about all in a short time span. Totally different.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Well I feel better already. Thanks for that.

On a more depressing and serious note don't you think all the elites are going to hunker down in their underground bunkers? It seems unfortunate that as the worst of earths human gene stock would continue at least for a while. I suspect that is their fallback plan at the least anyway.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kashai
The likelihood of consciousness equivalent to ours developing and finding a way to escape such a destructive event? Is about as likely as modern day dogs developing wings. I mean the idea that our planet, after such an event, as a full scale nuclear war. Can develop again to society like ours. In the time that is left of our Suns existence. At best, is a hope related to a Royal Strait Flush in Poker

Er....okay, I get what you are saying but your numbers and science is completely off. First, the odds of a Royal Flush, are not that bad, relatively. A Royal has a probability of 1.54x10 -6. Not that bad really.

The time left in the Sun, is massive. Most studies put the Sun having a 10% increased output in 1.1 Billion years. We can develop again in that time frame given that current studies have us, in our current form, to be much younger than that.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by wondermost

how many ? couple of hundred
over what time .one day ?

cant see it happening ,the 1000 year winter or full scale thermonuclear war

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
do you really think the elite will go under ground
are you stupid
maybe in the 80s they would of
the only way now is up
only will cost a few billion to build a big enough space ship that is solar powered
water they will send small ships to get the rest they can grow up there
WTF would you do under ground lol be a food for worms

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
My thoughts...If we get a handle on greed, learn to cooperate, get love moved to a global idea and behave like one without using a Borgean approach, we may stand a chance.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bassago
reply to post by Kashai

Well I feel better already. Thanks for that.

On a more depressing and serious note don't you think all the elites are going to hunker down in their underground bunkers? It seems unfortunate that as the worst of earths human gene stock would continue at least for a while. I suspect that is their fallback plan at the least anyway.

I agree it sounds terrible but as threads go.....

Yes high tech facilities, we are taking 1000 years of winter, suggesting that a viable ecosystem returning to earth in about 1,000,000 years. Despite all the hype no such facility actually exists today on Earth, speaking realistically; That can sustain two humans (as an example) for that long.

A full scale nuclear war would in effect sterilize the planet earth. With, exception of life forms deep in the earths crust, or deep in Earths oceans.

Any thoughts?

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

The only reason simians took over is because of an asteroid hitting earth. In context 5 billion years from now life forms could very well develop that look at Sol at that time and a word for, "Oh #".

But the likelihood of consciousness beyond that? Under the circumstances the existence of consciousness in such a context could be considered statistically impossible. It is actually more likely that in 5 billion years, given we wipe ourselves out. The predominant form of life on Earth will be some equivalent to Dinosaurs.

Which get us back to the idea we are a bunch of idiots.

Any thoughts?

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz

how many ? couple of hundred
over what time .one day ?

cant see it happening ,the 1000 year winter or full scale thermonuclear war

I surely hope not! I think I was assuming the worst and figuring in an all out, every nation thermo-nuclear war. Not good, not good at all. I could see the possibility of it happening, if a superpower shoots off the first one. If its a terrorist group, I don't see all out nuke war.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Fill a guy in here please....What are simians?

Never mind...Google, friendship and all that
Star for teaching me a new word

edit on 4-9-2013 by minkmouse because: lack of understanding...Fixed now

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

How can one tell the difference between a diamond collected by slaves from those collected by free men, when both diamonds come from a part of Africa?

So if I have Uranium 235 from say Iran and process it to military grade and detonate it could a chemical analysis, of the aftermath determine that the nuke came from Iran?????

Actually the answer to that question is yes, if the original nuclear material came from Iran. Then very easily they could be blamed for a nuclear attack. I mean if Iran decided to cooperate with the UN and send its fissionable material to Russia, so it could be processed to make it not a threat. There is a risk that Russia could take some percentage of that fissionable material and turn it into a bomb, that if detonated and analyzed would in fact appear to have been from Iran.

In no way shape or form is this a comfortable situation but in reality we have to survive the situation.

Otherwise it is very possible that 5 billion years from now some equivalent to a Raptor will glance at Sol one day and say something equivalent to "Oh #".

Any thoughts?

edit on 5-9-2013 by Kashai because: Modifed content

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Well, Many, Many of the Test Records Made Public are those of Tests
Performed Underground. The Above Ground Release on a magnitude such as you have
mentioned, has Thank The Good Lord, never been measured.

It must be mentioned that in a case scenario that you have described, Nuclear Power Plants,
and their containment pools would be targeted and affected. Not only Cities.The results would be catastrophic.

I am not convinced that those left to measure such an event would be would be worth
knowing as Human Beings.

S&F

edit on 5-9-2013 by Wildmanimal because: Add Content

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

I am saying that there would be no human race and if we are talking about a thousand year winter, insects and plants would cease to exist.

Viable forms of life that we could eat is such a scenario (for protein) could very easily not present itself for another billion or so years.

The situation is that serious.

Any thoughts?
edit on 5-9-2013 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

In 1990, in a paper entitled "Climate and Smoke: An Appraisal of Nuclear Winter," TTAPS give a more detailed description of the short- and long-term atmospheric effects of a nuclear war using a three-dimensional model:[50]

First 1 to 3 months:
10 to 25% of soot injected is immediately removed by precipitation, while the rest is transported over the globe in 1 to 2 weeks
SCOPE figures for July smoke injection: 22 °C drop in mid-latitudes
10 °C drop in humid climates
75% decrease in rainfall in mid-latitudes
Light level reduction of 0% in low latitudes to 90% in high smoke injection areas

SCOPE figures for winter smoke injection: Temperature drops between 3° and 4 °C

Following 1 to 3 years:
25 to 40% of injected smoke is stabilized in atmosphere (NCAR). Smoke stabilized for approximately 1 year.
Land temperatures of several degrees below normal
Ocean surface temperature between 2 and 6 °C
Ozone depletion of 50% leading to 200% increase in UV radiation incident on surface.

Criticism and debate[edit source]

Source

Any thoughts?

top topics

join