It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast-food walkout U.S. workers strike in several cities to call attention to low wages.

page: 40
<< 37  38  39   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

No matter how you try to spin it, McDonalds has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the employees at your local McDonalds.

Craziness.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I said this in the OP before and here is the proof with some numbers.

Link

American poverty just ain’t what it used to be. A new report from the Census Bureau found that 80.9% of households considered poverty stricken have cell phones along with their landline phones, and 58.2% have computers. 96.1% of those in “poverty” have televisions, and 83% have some sort of DVR.

This is not poverty. It is selfishness, greed and non-accountability.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

matafuchs
I said this in the OP before and here is the proof with some numbers.

Link

American poverty just ain’t what it used to be. A new report from the Census Bureau found that 80.9% of households considered poverty stricken have cell phones along with their landline phones, and 58.2% have computers. 96.1% of those in “poverty” have televisions, and 83% have some sort of DVR.

This is not poverty. It is selfishness, greed and non-accountability.

-I have a:

- $30 32in Sony wega Trinitron that I picked up at a local thrift shop here in Riverside county
- another 32in I paid $60 for at another thrift shop, before I knew which shops.
- internet/phone bill is $59/mo phone needed for emergency and home security system(25/mo)
- NO cable, directv, or else.. OH $4.99/mo stream Netflix thru Old Wii, kids saved up a YEAR FOR! I just bought them an extra controller and a game.
- OH, TRACFONE.. paid $5 for it from a store in North Carolina called Roses (cheap walmart type store). Not one of those plasma tv phones though..lol.. and I prepay $39 every 2 months for air time. (x2 for wife whom works 10hrs/day as caregiver helping paralyzed lady mother of 2 try and walk again)

All those items you listed are easily cheaper than a week of groceries

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

That is a smart way to, as you've shown, budget and not live outside your means. I applaud your efforts for living in these lean times in America. If more people could live like that then it would be shown that burger flippers do not need 15 dollars an hour to live.

Issue is seeing people using EBT cards, talking on a new smartphone and getting into a new vehicle parked in a handicapped spot. It is hearing kids saying 'i ain't got no money' after I buy the latest 150 dollar shoes, a sack and copy of Madden. Then they turn to crime for money or they pawn their goods. This is what has to stop and it is very, very common. Unlike yourself and your plan.

I have no compassion for those who do not try to better themselves, work the system and complain to get more that they do not deserve. Someone like yourself i am sure could use 200 bucks a month for groceries but cannot qualify because the middle class in America is the new poor. Just enough to live week to week and make enough not to qualify for assistance. Very very sad

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I applaud all those who are protesting to draw attention to the issue of poor wages. I, myself, once worked in McDonalds. It's an interesting company to work for because the workforce is very young and much like the promotions staff come and go - it isn't a career. Just like my co-workers my wages were poor. I worked in one of the top grossing restaurants and we were making millions each year given our geographical location as we were surrounded by lots of attractions. If you are young and looking to get into the jobs market then it's a perfect job. I learnt so much from my time in the company and it set me in good stead for my current job which was a huge jump! I was earning approximately £6000 a year in McDonalds but in my current job working for the government I am earning nearly 5 times that amount.

new topics

top topics

<< 37  38  39   >>

join