It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's discuss the Flying Spaghetti Monster and Pastafarians

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I decided to start this thread after my husband sent me this local news story:

Texas Tech student allowed to wear pasta strainer in official photo

www.kctv5.com...

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -
After months of research and countless calls to state and local authorities, Eddie Castillo finally got approval to wear a pasta strainer on his head in his official ID photo.

It sounds like a joke, but it's actually a political statement from a group of atheists who "worship" the Flying Spaghetti Monster. The group members, who call themselves "pastafarians," were inspired by a satirical letter written in 2005 to protest the Kansas School Board teaching intelligent design.

Castillo, a Texas Tech student, is the first person in the country allowed to wear this kind of religious headgear in a legal identification photo.

Hmmm!!! Interesting. To be honest, I never heard of the FSM before joining here, and have only heard it mentioned one other time - in a conference on religion and morality. I think it's rather silly, honestly - but at least these youths are speaking out against the dangers of excessive piety. ---- although the article states

Castillo's church is using humor to bring attention to some very serious issues, namely, how different levels of government interpret the separation of church and state.

Castillo says he's trying to make a point about acceptance and expose people to a different outlook.

Funny, though, I wore an identical strainer decorated with foil as my photo submission for the 2011 Tin Foil Hat competition.

What do you all think of the FSM group?

edit on 26-8-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Their little car emblems are pretty funny looking. Most super religious Christians wouldn't have a clue what that they are.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Pastafarian creation myth

The Gospel begins with the creation of the universe by an invisible and undetectable Flying Spaghetti Monster.[13] On the first day, the Flying Spaghetti Monster separated the water from the heavens; on the second, because He could not tread water for long and had grown tired of flying, He created the land—complemented by a beer volcano.[19]

Satisfied, the Flying Spaghetti Monster overindulged in beer from the beer volcano and woke up hungover.[22] Between drunken nights and clumsy afternoons, the Flying Spaghetti Monster produced seas and land (for a second time, accidentally, because he forgot that he created it the day before) along with Heaven and a midget, which he named Man.[23] Man and an equally short woman lived happily in the Olive Garden of Eden for some time until the Flying Spaghetti Monster caused a global flood in a cooking accident.[19]

This is interesting, a very creative social statement.

Now, let's look at

Captain Mosey and the Eight "I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts"

The "I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts" address a broad array of behavior, from sexual conduct to nutrition.[25] One reviewer commented that this parody of the Ten Commandments "reads like a bitter shopping list of the same criticisms" given to organized religions.[1] One commandment is "I'd really rather you didn't build multimillion-dollar synagogues / churches / temples / mosques / shrines to [His] Noodly Goodness when the money could be better spent ending poverty, curing diseases, living in peace, loving with passion and lowering the cost of cable."[26]

These points are valid, but I can understand why religious people would be offended. I want to know - what is it about this that you find offensive, truly? Yes, it's snide satire, a parody, lampooning the very beloved faiths of the religious....
does it bother you?

If so, why?

If not, what is your response?

I'm going to visit the website itself now - I'll be back.

edit on 26-8-2013 by wildtimes because: format size, and remove dangling 'what'...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Well, I suppose it takes all kinds and then a few nuts we wouldn't have guessed.

It was years ago when I saw a sample British form and I think it was their national census, if I'm not mistaken. It's been a lot of years now. However what I'll never forget is, under religion choices, was "Jedi Knight". :shk:

I think that was the day I accepted that whatever the roots and foundations may be for major world Faiths and how people view them for how solid they are? None of that means much of anything...anymore.

Anyone can come up with just about anything, call it a religion and somewhere, someone else will be stupid enough to grant them some or all the priv's that come with being their very own Messiah and founder to a brand new "religion".

I must say tho.. Pastafarians?? lol.... I'd give them votes for extra credit on creativity alone. I'd never have thought of that.

(Bows to the almighty Pasta Noodle) So is hell a boiling pot that never turns off or the back of a fridge as a forgotten leftover?

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
That tech student is going to have a hard time finding a job when school is over. Future employers go on the internet looking at social media now. They'll see a picture of the job applicant in a pasta strainer and just
and then toss out the resume.

I suppose the tech student could then sue for religious discrimination.
But I think a judge would toss that out pretty quick.

Employers don't want silly employees. Not even places like Milton Bradley.
They want responsible adults.

Anyways ... that's my two cents ...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I find the whole issue amusing!

There's been a few members here who will put forth solid arguments that the FSM exists... My all time favorite was Bogomil... shame he got himself banned...

Really though, is it any more believable then a talking snake or donkey?

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Q: A lot of Pastafarians seem to be anti-religion and/or atheists (why is this?)

A: We’re not anti-religion. This is NOT an atheists club. Anyone and everyone is welcome to join our church including current members of other religions. In addition to the Atheists, Agnostics, and Freethinkers who have joined us, we have a number of Christian (and Muslim, and Hindu and Buddhist …) members and I would love to have more. Note to the religious: You are welcome here.

Let me make this clear: we are not anti-religion, we are anti- crazy nonsense done in the name of religion. There is a big difference. Our ideal is to scrutinize ideas and actions but ignore general labels.

Okay, so, we have Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Atheists, Agnostics and Freethinkers as members. Interesting.

Notice that the initial news article about the Texas student allowed to wear the strainer said that it was an atheist group. Eau contraire, Pierre.

They have a whole bunch of propaganda on their website for download and distribution. It's only 20 bucks to get a certificate of ordination....and be a Pastafarian Minister.

www.venganza.org...

This excerpt is from the "Join" page.

How to help the church

You can do that by spreading the word. Tell people about Pastafarianism. Point out that we’re the world’s most peaceful mainstream religion, having started no wars in our God’s name. As far as I know there are no deaths attributed to our religion.

Can I be a member if I don’t literally Believe in the FSM?

Yes you can. For the same reason that many in other religions don’t literally believe their scripture, you can be a Pastafarian without being a True Believer of our scripture. In other words, do you know Christians who don’t take the Bible literally – but who consider themselves True Christians, nonetheless? So do I. In fact, True Belief is not often a requirement of religion. Most religions are comprised of a group of people with similar – but not exact – world views. Pastafarianism is no different in that regard.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I find the whole issue amusing!

As do (did?) I. But if you do a search for the term, you see all kinds of protests and ill-mannered behavior AGAINST these folks.

Russia Pastafarian Rally Of Church Of The Flying Spaghetti Monster Attacked By Police

The Pastafarian rally in Russia on August 17th began in a light-hearted manner, as members of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster took to the streets of Moscow wearing strainers on their heads and carrying various types of pasta to celebrate the tenets of their faith.

However, the day quickly took a dark turn, as members of a Russian Orthodox group as well as the police physically attacked the group, knocking some to the ground and verbally harassing them. Eight Pastafarians were detained and charged with organizing an unsanctioned rally.

Not good.

However, not everyone feels so joyful about the recognition of the Pastafarian Church, particularly members of the Orthodox group God's Will, who told Utro that "glorification of the Great Flying Spaghetti Monster offends their religious feelings.” Dmitry Enteo, the founder of God's Will, posted on Twitter that "Pastafarianism is a blasphemous smear against Christianity," according to NBC.

The ensuing video shows members of the police chasing Pastafarians through the streets, who can be recognized by the strainers on their heads.

It's in Russian, but do a translate for the title:

Acceleration procession of believers in the Spaghetti Monster

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Pastafarians are part of an international 'religious' movement founded in the U.S. in 2005 in opposition to the teaching of intelligent design and creationism in public schools. It has become an international movement, generally recognized as satirical poke at organized religion. But its adherents insist that it’s a 'real religion' and the dogma they follow is the rejection of dogma. They claim to have 15,000 adherents in Russia.

worldnews.nbcnews.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

(Bows to the almighty Pasta Noodle) So is hell a boiling pot that never turns off or the back of a fridge as a forgotten leftover?

The impression I'm getting is that there is no hell - but I've only just started exploring their "faith."

I wouldn't be surprised, however, if Stephen Colbert decides to "try it on" for a while like he did Judaism a couple years ago....(of course, I'm speaking of his "character" on The Colbert Report - not the real man)...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Well... it is openly mocking religion...

Funny how religion is supposed to create peace... Yet its members are also the first to strike out...

Hilarious...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Sure,

But can pink unicorns join the party?

The Invisible Pink Unicorn (IPU) is the goddess of a parody religion used to satirize theistic beliefs, taking the form of a unicorn that is paradoxically both invisible and pink.[1] She is a rhetorical illustration used by atheists and other religious skeptics as a contemporary version of Russell's teapot, sometimes mentioned in conjunction with the Flying Spaghetti Monster.[2]

en.wikipedia.org...

edit: Well if they are invisible then I guess no one will notice

edit on 26-8-2013 by InhaleExhale because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by InhaleExhale

That is only allowed to join if you believe in my "Giant Turtle with Four Elephants Holding a Universe While Floating In Cosmic Sea Of Space" or "GTWFEHAUWFICSOS"

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

This is an awesome development. Always nice to hear good news from my Home State!

Score one for Texas Tech!

I have a good friend who is Pastafarian, but I've never been privy to any "official gatherings", although I've heard many reports of wholesome fun, awareness raising on current social issues, and fort cushion building in the living room on movie nights.

Now that I think about it...there is an ancient family photograph of me in my youth with a spagetti colander on my head buried somewhere in an old photo album. I need to ask Mom about that now. Maybe I was initiated into Pastafarianism as a child!

The fact that a sense of humor is allowed to be expressed in such an innoculous official format is inspiring, although we still have to take our hats off for local ID's where I live currently. It's ok though, I'm fine with local customs and respect the reasoning behind it.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

It is saddening that some people's biggest aim in life and the thing towards which they exert their efforts and TIME is somthing that they don't even really believe in.

The Interesting Irony is that they are denying and riduculing something that they believe doesn't exist

What an utter waste of life!!

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Oh... I hadn't even thought of Colbert. I hadn't started watching that until an instructor up here turned the class onto that last year. Now it's a highlight to my day when he's covering something especially workable for his format. I loved his 'illegal immigrant' for a day. He does have a way of putting serious issues into a laughable context without making light of the issues.

You're right...I can't wait to see how he plays this, if it happens to catch his attention to do anything with.
edit on 26-8-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This is just my "nutty" opinion, but most things in the news are just propaganda pieces and have been for a while.

A guy wears a colander on his head in an ID photo and makes the news? C'mon.

This piece is just an example of the elites' predilection to telegraph their sick, sick plans upon the unsuspecting public disguised as humor. The "Flying Spaghetti Monster" is, in predictive programming terms, Cthulu. Paul the "psychic octopus" is the same idea, same as the "psychic octopus" faked alien that allows for the birth of the NWO in the Watchmen comic (not the movie- too obvious for the masses in the youtube generation, I guess). (The colander idea refers to the "mind control" aspect of the "psychic octopus".)

In some manner they will fake Cthulu, imo part of Project BlueBeam, then like this article is subliminal preparation for, they will say that this alien octopus is "God" and start a religion around it. They don't expect everyone to worship it, it is just a news prop to blaspheme God, like the Westboro Baptist Church and Al Queda, a means to deliver a message to the masses about what is acceptable.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by logical7

It is saddening that some people's biggest aim in life and the thing towards which they exert their efforts and TIME is somthing that they don't even really believe in.

The Interesting Irony is that they are denying and riduculing something that they believe doesn't exist
What an utter waste of life!!

Really?

You just don't get it, do you, log?
You don't.

When, I wonder, will you tell us why you are so serious about all this?

Oh well. You go ahead with your negativity and blaming and judgment of other cultures.

Obviously you are offended by this thread....could you honor the OP and tell us "why"? What offends you about it?

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by InhaleExhale

Sure,

But can pink unicorns join the party?

As far as I can tell, ANYONE can join the party.

I think it's about just letting go of 'judgment' and 'fear'.........
and realizing that the world is what it is....
that we are all connected, and it doesn't matter one whit what your particular "faith flavor" is.

We All Have Hope. That is ALL that matters.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join