It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The latest social media outrage

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I have to agree with those saying this is weird. I'm not for gun control either so hear me out..

I was taught at a very early age to never point anything resembling a gun at someone else, and for good reason. It didn't matter if it was a squirt gun, cap gun or BB gun. Teaching our kids this is important because if we are going to use REAL guns responsibly (later in life?) then we have every reason to teach them this early on. Are toy guns bad? Nope, but the concept of guns should be taught very seriously to our youth. And for the record, my dad taught me that. He's an ex-marine republican as they come with a whole closet full of guns..

Now, maybe I was raised "weird" because I always thought this was pretty common sense. Now, we add a baby to the mix and it sends a bad message, not to mention the whacked out look in the toy gun weilder's face. This was in all likelihood an attention-seeking ploy by the FB user. With that said, I completely understand why this is "weird" to many.

I'm not a whiney liberal complaining about gun control, promise.
but it is weird.
edit on 24-8-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

OK.

You live in the US, so your point is a valid one.

Lots of people don't live in America, including the people in this picture.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

Well maybe that is relevant since guns aren't as much of a presence in other countries, but a gun is a gun, right? ( yes it's a toy, but it still represents a gun pointed at a baby) Don't get me wrong, I don't claim to know what it's like wherever this was taken, but common sense should still prevail I would think, and i think what freaks people out is that it's aimed at a baby.

I don't think action should be taken since we are talking about at toy, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's still weird.

edit on 24-8-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I found this photo very, very, VERY funny and entertaining.

I mean, it creates amazing joyful images in my mind. I am now picturing her pulling the trigger, and the baby's head EXPLODES all over with guts and blood spilling out and the brain and blood splattering on to the wall.

An unidentified pile of bloody flesh, brain matter and skull pieces is then where the baby's head once was.

I wonder what it takes to come up with something sooooooo funny...I still can't type almost from laughing and smiling. Heads up to that fine lady to entertain us....I mean what can be funnier than pointing a gun to a baby's head? I am still laughing so hard....wondering how she even came up with this.

Hohohoho..hehehhe...hehehehe

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

The picture was taken, from what I can gather, in Argentina a couple of years ago. It is becoming more obvious to me as this discussion develops that people who live in the USA are the most likely to react in some way to this picture, for obvious reasons.

I understand that it may be as difficult for you as it is for me to put ourselves into the mindset of somebody raised in a culture very different from our own. I live in a country with little or no firearms around, any being an old rusty shotgun owned by a farmer, I used to know a couple of guys who went with their fathers to shoot ducks the odd time. We don't do guns here, guns are something we see in the movies, American movies. So when kids play with toy guns, as I did when I was a rugrat, nobody batts an eyelid. Toy guns are toy guns here they represent nothing more than a piece of plastic, grown ups who like toy guns get into air soft, but that's about it.

edit on 24-8-2013 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I bet that is the mom and that she is 13.
This could be a poster for super late-term abortion for teens, no?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

On Mob Mentality.

What is worse? The blood-thristy mob? Or the thought that sets it off? When confronted with this image, the mob are confronted with their own thoughts about it, thoughts of their own creation, their own mental imagery, the consequent chatter about it, and not reality.

Instead, a rational being would consider the context, the nonchalance of the person in the background, and apply that to their reasoning before jumping to the pitchforks and conclusions.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

I get what you're saying and I suppose that's fair. People obviously are going to have a different mindset in a society with no guns.

I would ask though, do people in Argentina know what real guns do? I think the girl in the OP does.
Again, I'm not claiming criminal charges should apply, just that I understand why it's weird to many.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I would honestly say that if a person had personally experienced what a firearm can do to a human body then they would be unable to pose in a picture like this, but hey who knows.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Makes sense to me. Star for the answer, cause I quite agree as well.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I see it as someone making a joke about shooting a baby in the head with a gun.

Doesn't seem like a funny joke to me. I can't even imagine doing it to a child.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
No baby, no gun, or both. The bottom arm holding the baby seems "off" compared to the girl's other arm.

Anyway, the door knob, the solid wood look of the door, the door's window with grates, the cupboard buffet/cabinet, the tile backsplash behind the kitchen sink as well as the sink, the zaftig woman showing us her back in tight capri shorts while doing dishes and, what at first glance appears to be a flat screen, but on closer inspection seems to be some sort of waterfall scene with most likely holy scripture in a frame...all these elements scream "Brazil" to me...but having never lived in or been to other Latin American countries, I guess it could be somewhere else down there...

At any rate, I typed in the requisite search in google "garota apontando revolver na cara de nene" (girl pointing pistol at a baby's face) and the first link I got seems to back me up (and other's who have actively maintained the photoshopped point of view.

Brazilian "Smoking Gun" Type site

Feel free to check it out, most of you have browsers that provide a translate text option...

Interesting thing is the linked article uses a different picture than the OP's from 2012 in which the same scenario occurs, but with a different girl and a different baby.

They put a side by side showing the before and after.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

We all had guns early on in life, real guns were tools, that could have dire consequences when misused. An ass whooping by our dad's was the least that would happen.

I was taught that toy guns were for pointing at people, but never point the real guns in a direction of anything besides the ground, unless you intend to put a bullet in it.

I just don't get the concept that you are not supposed to point toy guns at people, what are they good for then?

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I get it.
She is related to the guy that beat that girl up in the bathroom.
Sicko.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

Hmm, is that like a trend or something? Shopping it to look like people are pointing guns? It's weird, one I never saw until maybe now.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I'm sorry in case anyone has mentioned this earlier - I don't have the time to read the entire thread - but is it possible none of you noticed the lady standing over a counter on the far right in the image? It is either a man or an older lady - you can only see half of his or her body, he or she is wearing red pants (knee high - I don't know how you call those pants in English) and a black t-shirt. You can see his or her left arm (up to elbow) and leg clearly...far right in the image and just on the edge. If this girl was in a bathroom with an adult (possibly her and baby's mother or grandmother) this behavior is surely play. Neither - the girl, the child or that half a person, in that matter, look threatening to me.
edit on 25-8-2013 by Ubasti because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Yeah, you're not wrong either I mean, kids will be kids. I remember getting into some pretty intense water fights (balloons and all as "grenades") as a kid and I think obviously parents want to their kids to have a good time. My dad, being an ex-marine I think took the extra step to make sure we all knew the seriousness of what it means when you point a gun at someone else. I don't think he expected us to not be kids though. You can't stop kids from playing "war" we've all done it. With that said, the pic in the OP looks to be sending a message, and it's especially weird because there is a baby involved. Again, there's no need to call for criminal charges, I just think it's kinda weird.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join