It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 myths about polyamory debunked

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I have always been interested in polyamory. The idea of that type of relationship fascinates me to the point I would enjoy to have that type of relationship in the future. So far I have purchased numerous books, watched various videos, etc. Hopefully you can picture what I'm talking about here. I recently found an article about 5 myths of polyamory and how it debunks the myths. I thought it was interesting enough to share.

I would like to see what other members think of this list and also hear their own opinions about polyamory.
Link

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Brave New World.
Everyone belongs to everyone!

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Me and my husband are in a polyamorous relationship. Have been for 20 years.

As long as you don't make sex an issue, than it's a non-issue.

I believe in emotional monogamy. The other stuff? Is just all for fun.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

polyamory

Be clear on you definition. Is it Polyamory or Polyandy you want?

Polymory is man has multiple female partners

and Polyandry is woman has multiple male partners.

Personally I think to some degree with the erosion of marriage in modern society that people pursue more casual relationships, which is closer to the Poly forms of relationships.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

I think you're lost in translation. I was talking about polyamory which is the desire or practice to have more then one partner with everyone knowing. Polygyny is related to polygamy where men have more then one wife. Hopefully I explained it clearly.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Thanks for sharing. I have always imagined myself in a polyamory with more then one woman and having a family with them. Sex is great. However, I want something more then that in my life.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I would have to respectfully disagree. No one belongs to me or I belong to them. But everyone has eyes for different relationships.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

We have 4 kids together and have never had an issue with any of it. I guess we both decided sex was less important than our overall relationship being happy.

~tenth

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Definitely not for me.

As a Christian, I truly believe the only sanctified relationship is between one man and one woman between the bond of marriage. Call me old fashioned or Puritan- no matter to me- but I favor the traditional family union.

There is a special and secure feeling I have within a monogamous marriage. I have had an open relationship in the past and it just was not for me.

Whatever floats others boats, though.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Maybe Im insecure or a prude but I like the thought of me and my partner sharing that part of our lives with just each other.

Sex is great, we all know this but at the end of the day its a base instinct.
You take the affection and genuine desire to be close to that person out of it you may as well be having a wank.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267

I would have to respectfully disagree. No one belongs to me or I belong to them.

I agree. But its where the world is heading.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

reply to post by tothetenthpower

Thanks for sharing. I have always imagined myself in a polyamory with more then one woman and having a family with them. Sex is great. However, I want something more then that in my life.

And if your partner falls madly in love with another woman and wants just a close bond to that woman? Then what? It's happened to others, it could happen to you. To me, the kind of relationship you desire doesn't include love. I'm with the others who have no desire for such a relationship. Seems empty, not meaningful.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

I have never been a hopeless romantic type of person. Don't get me wrong I want love and to have a family, but the relationship I dream about is more attractive than a monogamist type of relationship.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I would have to respectfully disagree. No one belongs to me or I belong to them. But everyone has eyes for different relationships.

There are still relationships that last until one partner dies. They do not desire a different relationship because they are satisfied with the one they have. They stand by each others side and grow old together. They share their love and laughter, their fears and sadness through the years, never needing someone else to replace the other, because it is all they want and need.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I have never been a hopeless romantic type of person. Don't get me wrong I want love and to have a family, but the relationship I dream about is more attractive than a monogamist type of relationship.

I realize there are such relationships that work, but I could never understand it myself. I guess I am the hopeless romantic.

I just keep thinking where would my self esteem be if my partner needed someone else besides me? What if he loved her more, paid more attention to her etc. I would be like what the hell? How special and meaningful could that relationship be? Just my thoughts.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Everyone is different and I hope they have happy relationships. Maybe it's what I grew up with as I saw many couples easily falling apart and it made me think twice about relationships. A strong healthy relationship would be a great way to influence others that there is hope.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Thanks for explaining. As I mentioned in my other replies I have never really seen a successful relationships. Seeing people fighting, cheating on each other, etc. I have always been attracted to being a partner and feel polyamory is the type of relationship I would like to have. Because I envision a happy stable family under one roof.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I wish you the best no matter what you decide. It wouldn't be happy or stable for me I would be knocking someone's head in. LOL

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I just keep thinking where would my self esteem be if my partner needed someone else besides me?

See that's where my relationship works for me.

I'm a classic bisexual. I'm married to man, but I also very much enjoy the company of women.

Now my husband, simply can't, physically help me with those issues. So that's why we have the relationship we do. Now that doesn't mean I just go out and find women to sleep with every week or month, or even every year.

But I have the option if the opportunity and circumstances arise. Simply having that freedom, has created a lot of mental stability.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Same here. I wish the same for everyone.
Second line needed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join