It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is anyone in Britain still voting Labour, if so why?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Well, I think we can all be sure, that the next election will be fought over immigration, welfare, public vs private sector workers. All very divisive issues, with the Tories pushing the populist agenda set by the Daily Mail and other right wing media.
Most nights on TV, there is some program demonising anyone on welfare. Who should get the council house? What type of benefit would you have got in the 1940s? Who deserves the benefit?

It wouldn't surprise me if they bring out a new game show like X factor, where people get to vote, who should get what. Or maybe take it a step further and get them to fight to the death over a council house. I'm sure the twitters would love it based on the comments I read while watching these shows baiting the poor.

People need to be careful what they wish for. It may come true. Like the Londoners who voted for Boris, because they thought he was funny. You won't be laughing when your house is on fire, without anyone to put it out, because of cuts to the fire service.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Middle England won't vote for Milliband's Labor Party. There's no humility from him about Labor's failure to regulate the financial services sector effectively, which led to this recession/depression (although governments everywhere failed too). That's a big one.

That plus he's got no ideas apart from "more of the same". No-one who's serious about the public finances would ever allow Ed Balls near the Treasury, hell he's one of the reasons the economy is wrecked.

But there's a more basic, crude reason Milliband won't get his party in government. It's the Michael Foot effect.

Milliband just doesn't look Prime Ministerial. Some may consider looks to be a shallow point ... I guess it is, Lincoln was no Brad Pitt ... but in the modern age looks count, it's how people vote (Kennedy/Nixon etc). Milliband's nasal problems are off putting. He looks shifty & untrustworthy. He's well educated but like many of our brightest he's led a sheltered life, his family are all political gonks. He doesn't look like he's "from round here", basically. You wouldn't have him round for his tea. You wouldn't be seen dead with him. He's Romulan weird.

Nah. Middle England won't run with this guy.

Mind you, Cameron and Clegg (remember him ?) aren't any better. That's about Milliband's saving grace, he isn't either of them. Not exactly the greatest virtue, though.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
13 years of miss management cannot be rectified in 3 plus years

If someone puts on weigh at say 8lbs in three weeks due to over indulgence it would

take them six or so weeks to loose that weight?

So 13 years of miss management is going to need some 25 years to rectify?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
just take out 1 word to rephrase the question. Take out: Labour

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

Got to say I agree with the vast majority of your post.

Your assessment of Ed Balls is 'on the ball' - but by the same token how has George Osborne been allowed to oversee the UK's financial matters? Truly beggars belief.

Miliband lacks charisma and has little credibility in the eyes of the electorate.
And any half-serious student or observer of current affairs has noticed his total inability to capitalise on the numerous short-comings of the current administration.

I personally just can't envisage him being a strong and positive presence for the UK on the international stage.- Hollande, Merkel et al would eat him alive.

Labour are devoid of new ideas and lack direction - a deliberate ploy?

It's a national disgrace the number of Oxbridge / Old Etonians etc that dominate our party political system.
It's a damning indictment of the UK that these public school boys infest every influential level of UK society as a whole - they are as removed from the everyday concerns and lives of the vast majority of people of the UK as can be possible and promote their own vested interests above anything and everything else.

reply to post by eletheia

13 years of miss management cannot be rectified in 3 plus years

First of all, they aren't rectifying it they are compounding it.

And secondly I'm sure the previous government would have argued that they spent most of their time dealing with the serial mis-management they inherited from the 18 years of Thatcher and Major's Premiership's.

It's all about playing the 'blame game' and taking their turn on the merry-go-round whilst in reality doing absolutely nothing for the UK electorate.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Anyone who think that voting for a particular political party will make a difference is way off the mark.
Politicians start off in life as orators who (sometimes!) believe they can make a difference.
By the time they get to parliament though all of this is drummed out of them with their only goal being self-preservation.
At any cost (usually a big one too, for the taxpayers).

Conservative, Labour, Lib-Dem......might as well all be the same party.
The only differences would be parties from the extremes, from Monster Raving Loony to the very far right.

To the OP though, it's quite strange that if you look back far enough, the reason the Labour party got in and stayed in for so long was mainly because of the mistakes made by the previous Conservative government.
Which as it happened, laid the foundations for the present financial problems we have now. It wasn't the Labour party's doing at all.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
If Labour get in again, I will quit my job 100% promise you that. Never will I work under that anti British, anti working class, mob again. What is worse is that they won't get in by taking the top spot, they will drop too many seats to the SNP and Tories take up the majority of the vote in English areas not totally swamped in immigrants by the past Labour government, but they may get in by forming a coalition with the SNP. If that happens, I'm leaving the country, don't care where I go, but this country will be finished within 12 months.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join