It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Jersey Bans “Gay Conversion Therapy”

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

Dear wrabbit2000,

You've always been thoughtful and considerate, I owe you my best answer. (Even if you are a key part of the dreaded wrabbit cartel. You thought I had forgotten that, didn't you?)

When it gets to my personal thoughts, please know that I am starting to think of myself as a rather strange type here on ATS. I know, "Everybody is Unique," but I suspect my feelings don't fall into the normal camps.

I don't happen to believe that homosexuality, in itself, is wrong or a sin. I strongly disagree with those who do. I do know that for many Gays it is not what they might have chosen, but they believe that is who they are, and they have to struggle to get through life with pressures from outside, and from within.

Unless these stresses, faced by Gay minors, have reached the point where the youth is contemplating suicide, drug use, self-mutilation or some other drastic and dangerous action, I do not see the need for any forced therapy. At least no therapy beyond an occasional talk with a counsellor, but I suspect just about every teenager needs someone to unburden to now and then.

I feel differently if the minor is under a certain age, perhaps 6? At that age, sexual attraction shouldn't have entered a kid's head and I would suggest counseling, but for a different reason. Also if the child, of any age, is unsure of their orientation, I have no problem with therapy to clarify the situation.

Because I don't believe that the orientation is wrong, I would be extremely uncomfortable with any parent's attempt to change the child's orientation. Uncomfortable enough to ban it, IF there was no, non-tortuous method available. IF one pill and a 30 minute movie could make Richard Simmons lust after, well, whichever female is considered hot, I don't keep up with that, then I don't think I'd sign the ban.

....Now... After you've been used, abused and literally broken both mentally and quite possibly physically? Are you going to feel any doubts about how wrong it was?
I feel it's wrong now, if that's what's done.

I appreciate that you consider me straightforward, that's high praise. If I've failed to be clear, accept my apology and please, give it one more try. This is an important issue. Much more than the Reptillians from Zeta II, or even 9/11.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

You bring up an interesting point and I hadn't seen covered. I might have missed it though, too. I hope there is nothing about this that would preclude counseling to gay kids. Not conversion as a forced violation of their very nature ..but traditional counseling.

This got me to thinking and for many kids, being gay must add immensely to life's little challenges in the modern world. Heck. school age years were tough enough and my generation didn't have half the reality forced onto us that kids today do. Not the same way, anyway, and it was tough enough without any real sex issues to speak of.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I wonder how people would take/accept if there was straight conversion therapy?

if our sexuality could be altered from gay to straight it could also from straight to gay, so why not have straight conversion therapy? at least it would be equal

new topics

<< 1   >>

join