It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parent Alert: Man Hacks Baby Monitor and stalks to 2 year old child

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I love this title, it's meant to snatch the readers attention having that 'wow' factor leading people to really think the worst.

It's actually quite easy to do and the baby was not stalked, they were trolling the parents. It's borderline funny to be honest.

It had nothing to do with WiFi being hacked which many people in this thread mentioned but it did have to do with a bored guy using Google whose looking for a laugh. You can search in Google for unsecured cameras pretty easily and you get all sorts of things.

Most cameras have default passwords or no passwords and no one bothers changing them so I have no sympathy for this guy. The fact that the 'big bad stalker' used the mic to say that is hilarious, and a reality check to the parents to secure your #.

4chan caught some guy at a pizzeria masturbating and then started making pizzas using an unsecured camera lmao. Link

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Laxpla

I love this title, it's meant to snatch the readers attention having that 'wow' factor leading people to really think the worst.

It doesn’t get much worse than having your kids violated by a perv.

It's actually quite easy to do and the baby was not stalked, they were trolling the parents. It's borderline funny to be honest.
You should apologize for your actions! Shame on you!

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

But... there's no indication that the baby was being violated by a perv, I mean maybe if they had logs of the same IP logging into the cameras in regular intervals over the course of weeks or even days then yeah I would say it was a perv who needs to get an ass whopping and I would fully support the lynch mob. But there wasn't besides the opinion of a reporter trying to spice up his article, do you understand what I'm saying?

A perv would be screaming, talking # to the parents right? I mean, what about 4chan who viewed an unprotected webcam of that pizzeria? Is the person who viewed it a perv?

And I don't have to apologize for anything lmao, the fact that you think you're right in this case just makes me laugh. Let me break down this article for ya okay?

'He said, 'Wake up Allyson, you little (expletive),'" Gilbert said.

A perv would be shouting in a camera like that.

Allyson is deaf. Though she has a cochlear implant, it was turned off and she was never bothered by the shocking intrusion.

A perv who has been 'stalking' the child would notice that she was deaf.

The father of two did his research and now believes his home internet router was hacked and the monitor was subsequently accessed.

Wrong.

Gilbert said it was no different a violation than if the hacker had actually entered his home.

Nope, nothing like it. It's like living in the heart of NYC, and having a huge bay window in your bathroom with no blinds and then getting mad when people watch your wife changing.

‘It's quite possible that this had been going on more than one day,’ he said. ‘Security vulnerabilities exist.

Possibly, but from the same guy doing it over and over? Nah, chances are very low.

'The router was password protected and the firewall was enabled,' Gilbert wrote in the comments section of the KTRK report. 'The IP camera was also password protected.'

The router is not in question, it's the Camera. I don't believe he had a password on it, if it did it was the default one.

'Wake up you little slut': The hacker even spoke the sleeping girl's name, which was written on the wall above her bed

The hacker then yelled at Gilbert and his wife, using expletives in what they described as a ‘British or European accent.

This is something a perv 'stalking' the child would do right, shout at the parents to maintain his low profile? Gimme a break.

I'm saying there is a very, very low chance of it being a perv as it was more likely than not, a bored teenager trying to get a laugh. I don't really know how these cameras work, I would imagine there would be logs of who viewed it then identify the anomalies of those to show that she was being stalked?
edit on 15-8-2013 by Laxpla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
ANY wifi based system can be hacked WEP systems are easy. but WPA, WPA2 just take longer.

Many perverts have plenty of time to hack systems because the linux based hacking programs can run on there own with no one there.
plus you don't have to hack the wifi you can also get in by hacking through the computer its self.

They can also using high gain directional antennas and range extenders pick up and hack systems from up to a mile away.
www.frys.com...:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
www.frys.com...:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I know all this is true because i use this system in my RV when traveling. and can park my RV blocks from a Denny's or motels with free internet access and spend hour doing web surfing and e-mails.

It also works great with RV parks with weak free or low cost wifi systems i still can connect from the far side of the park.
edit on 15-8-2013 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

This tool will tell you if you have any super systems in your area.
www.ampedwireless.com...
It also will tell you if there are any open systems in the area that you don't have to hack into.

Just watch out for the NSA vans.

edit on 15-8-2013 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Creeper level 5,000.

As a new father, this was scaaaary. Glad I don't use those things

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I hope you're secure but I take it you are, when you use free WiFi or any public WiFi for that matter. I can tell you know what you're talking about but if people don't know a VPN will suit them just fine for public WiFi.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laxpla
reply to post by ANNED

I hope you're secure but I take it you are, when you use free WiFi or any public WiFi for that matter. I can tell you know what you're talking about but if people don't know a VPN will suit them just fine for public WiFi.

I run linux mint as linux is very hard to hack.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I'm talking about what is sent over the WiFi not taking the system itself. Programs such as Fire***** can sniff out usernames and passwords of people connected to the same WiFi.

edit on 16-8-2013 by Laxpla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
My parents didn't need a video camera to watch me, nor will I be using one to watch my children. I'll be getting up and going to them, and using my own eyes. Technology is not always the greatest thing to have. I'm going old school when it comes to many things lately. Recently we ditched the cell phones. Everything inside of me says it's time to unhitch ourselves from the grid. The computer is going to be the hardest to let go of. We might start using internet cafe's and ditch the one in the house.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by sulaw

Even home security systems if the hacker is saavy enough. You have cameras up in your home? I wouldn't doubt that is hackable either.

If a perve can use this technology to spy on our kids, imagine who else could use it for other purposes….

I don’t think for a minute there aren’t ‘others’ using this ability.

My boyfriend has covered the web camera on the computer with a piece of black electrical tape and disabled the mic. He's convinced our tv has a secret camera in it too. Of course, his family says he's crazy but who knows?

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Laxpla

Trolling the parents for a laugh also alerted them to how dopey they've been about security with internet/wireless/bluetooth/etc.
The previous poster has it right--- it's easy to find webcams online, it's a fad these days. If you're 'savvy' enough to get a dang wireless spycam for your house, then you should be savvy enough to set it up in a way that's not akin to a big 'ol flag flappin around, "Unsecured!"
It's funny how mortified parents are so quick to jump on the "pervert" bandwagon, as if this is a ccase of an obvious child predator. In my opinion (not saying I'm correct), it seems the guy had the attitude of a hacker messing around online looking for EASY targets, and was able to cause mischief.

It's almost as if he provided a service to these people. The more harmless hackers get laughs by freaking out 'regular' folk who never mess with settings on any device or software, the less likely a REAL malicious hacker criminal will be able to easily prey on these naive suburbanites. IF YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO SECURE YOUR STUFF, hire someone!

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Laxpla

And I don't have to apologize for anything lmao, the fact that you think you're right in this case just makes me laugh.
Oh, sorry! From the way you were defending it I thought it was you who hacked the kids camera.

A perv would be shouting in a camera like that.
Ummm....only a perv would have gained access to a camera inside someone else's house!!

Nope, nothing like it. It's like living in the heart of NYC, and having a huge bay window in your bathroom with no blinds and then getting mad when people watch your wife changing.
So if I use a baby monitor inside my home I should have no expectation of privacy?

NSA? Is that you?

Your defense of this is disturbing. Some people here sound like the type that would blame the victim of a rape for dressing too slutty.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Be afraid ! Be afraid !

Pffff....

Over 90 % of all child molestation/abuse happens within the family structure.

Lets try adressing that problem before we start worrying about some random camera hack.

Also, we were born with eyes. They work just as good as any camera, and can't get hacked. Maybe parents should try parenting again instead of delegating to security equipement ?

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Ismail

Be afraid ! Be afraid !

Pffff....

Who said you should be afraid? What I said was more like be aware!

Pffff….

Over 90 % of all child molestation/abuse happens within the family structure.

Lets try adressing that problem before we start worrying about some random camera hack.
That problem is being addressed in society….but that’s not the topic of this thread.

Also, we were born with eyes. They work just as good as any camera, and can't get hacked. Maybe parents should try parenting again instead of delegating to security equipement ?
It’s a personal preference. Maybe it would make more sense if I explain how my wife and I used these cameras. Our bedroom is on the opposite side of the house. If our kids were to start crying in the middle of the night, the chance of us hearing their cries (while we’re sound asleep) is slim. This monitor allows us to hear what’s going on inside their rooms on the other end of the house so we can respond (in person). IMO that is being vigilant! If it doesn’t appeal to you then don’t do it…I don’t care what you do in your home.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Home Internet security can be very simple and safe if a few basic things are done.

1. Create a new admin account on your router and delete the default one.
2. Disable remote admin, this makes it so that only users directly wired into the router can login as an admin.
3. Enable Mac address filtering: Set all access to 0, then put the mac addresses of your wifi devices into the mac table on the router, so that only those devices can connect.
4. Limit the maximum connections to your router. If you have 5 wifi devices then set the max wifi connections to five.
5. Learn what a DHCP table is and where you can find it on your router.

If any of this sounds difficult it's not. Simply contact the tech support of the router manufacture that you own, they can walk you through all of this over the phone in 10-15 minutes. This make a nearly impenetrable wall for your home network.

Setup this way the only way you can be hacked is if someone gains direct access to your home. (Or if you manage to piss off someone who can force connect and flash ur wifi routers firmware, which takes some serious equipment). The only other downside to being setup this way is when your friends bring over their own devices and you are not computer savvy, it can make it a real hassle to get them connected.

There is no reason for something like this to happen.

edit on 16-8-2013 by vind21 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join