It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV Shows that scared/scarred you for life

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
For tv shows I'd go with Tales from the Darkside. That opening used to scare the crap out of me.

stuff like Twilight Zone and Outer limits weren't so much scary as they were thought provoking and interesting.

Stuff that really scared me was certain movies. For some reason the first "Nightmare on Elmstreet" scared me really bad. Maybe cause I was like 8 when I watched it. Other movies that scared me bad were The Exorcist (thank my parents for letting me watch that when I was like 6-7 years old). Texas Chainsaw (original) was really scary. The original Halloween gets a nod too.

Phantasm was another my parents had on Beta max (like the Exorcist) that used to scare me bad, watching at the age of 7.That movie was just all around creepy to me. But the Tall Man gave me plenty of nightmares as a child. I think the music in that movie also did alot to help the creep factor. Just like the classic Halloween theme. A good scary theme always does alot to make things extra scary for me personally.

edit on 14-8-2013 by Nola213 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by KnightFire
reply to post by Em2013

I agree. Unsolved Mysteries use to freak me out when I was younger. They really put the realism into the dramatizations. Plus Robert Stack's voice didn't help matters.

Yes! That was actually gonna be what i was gonna post..I could barely get past that creepy theme music when i was little and to this day that music gives me the chills

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
The peanut butter solution creeped me the hell out when i was little too..Anyone else remember that movie?

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The old "Outer Limits".

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Youamstupid

Gah.... It...I HATED that movie... I absolutely hate clowns.. I mean HATE clowns
they totally creep me out, never had any idea why. Though later I did learn they used to be assassins in olden times. Must be a past life thing burnt into my psyche..

Couldn't agree more..

Grim
edit on 14/8/2013 by Grimmley because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ntech
Night Gallery.

Also that movie with the Zuni fetish doll and Karen Black.

edit on 12-8-2013 by ntech because: (no reason given)
Night gallery had an earlier dated opening sceen that made me turn the channel. Also the original war of the worlds, I was about 5 or 6 and peeked at the window from under the blankets all night waiting for that,,,,,,,thing!

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Ok, so it was Halloween night and I was in the first grade. Being the religious family that we were and going to the Christian School, my family didn't believe in trick-or-treating. Instead, our school had a little get together thing in the gymnasium where the kids dressed like their favorite Bible character. I dressed like Noah. Had me a little robe and fake beard, a staff and Daniel, my stuffed tiger that I always slept with. I was a cute little bugger (don't know what happened to me, but that's another post).

So mom brings us (me and my sis) home and my dad is on the couch, in the dark living room, watching Halloween. Followed by Halloween II. I don't know exactly how to describe how I felt. I was terrified, but at the same time, intrigued and somehow drawn to it all. The scene that has stuck with me all these years is part II, where Dr. Loomis and Jamie Lee are hiding out in the hospital. The front glass doors are locked and they think Micheal Myers can't get in. So what does Micheal do? He just walks right through the glass doors. OMG! I wanted to run and hide, but couldn't move or look away. I don't think I slept that night or for the next week. Since then I've seen the Halloween movies about a bazillion times and that scene still creeps me out.

Awesome idea for a thread! I'm sure a psychiatrist would have a field day reading our responses and analyzing us.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Youamstupid

The Goonies. I remember the first time i ever saw Sloth. It terrified me at a young age, having visions of him popping out from under the sofa.

"Baby Ruth? Ruth...Baby?"

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I dont think I was creeped out by shows as a kid, I was more into the SPFX at the time LOL

I do know ONE scene from a movie that creeps ALOT of people out, including our VERY OWN Mblahniklvr
And now, I present the alien peeking behind the door scene from Communion

Sweet dreams Blah

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Back in the late 80s maybe early 90s the BBC aired a show on halloween that was called Ghost Watch, it was billed as being live and had some fairly famous tv presenters from the time presenting it.

It centered around a live paranormal investigation at a family home somewhere in the uk. They had a studio set up as well as a crew reporting live from the house and actors playing the roles of the family and the experts in the studio, I must have been around 8 when i saw this and it absolutely terrified me, apparently i wasnt the only one as it was reported a few days later someone had killed themselves after watching it. The BBC never aired the show again but did make it avaliable on dvd about 9 years ago.

Watching it now it does show its age and gets a little bit silly towards the end but if you was watching it for the first time thinking it was real...... it was terifying!

heres a link to it on youtube

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
For me it was the movie "Don't be afraid of the dark". Even now I am sometimes hesitant to enter into a dark room! I'll never forget my cousin and I watching that movie and my uncle and dad turning the lights off and
whispering "we want you Michael". I was terrified for several nights afterwards!
Another movie that scared me was Jaws which my older sisters took me to, I was about 7 or 8 at the time
and they were 14 and 15! When the head popped out at that one part I cried through the rest of the movie and would not go into the ocean for the rest of that summer!
I would not give up those experiences for all the gold in Fort Knox if there is any left that is!
Those experiences and others like them made us who we are today and I like me!
Our fear then and now allows us to humble ourselves to the fact that there are things in heaven and earth
which can overwhelm our strength!

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skid Mark
The mini-series V from the 1980s messed with me. Once, after seeing it, I saw my mom taking off a beauty mask of some sort. It looked like she was peeling her skin off. Scared the crap out of me lol.

I remember that series - the most scary scene that scared our womenfolk was the part where the kid says "How best I can I serve you?" And the visitors say "Why, on a platter of course!" Next thing, the door opens and there's a couple of chef's who come along to pick him up. The other scary scene for me was when some guy gets hit by a tank of liquid nitrogen and his arm gets all brittle and shatters.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by the sloth
reply to post by Em2013

I don't know what it is about the seventies( I wasn't even born till 1988), the creepiest movies are definitely from that era. I couldn't sleep at all after watching the FIRST planet of the apes. Then I saw the second one with all those FREAKS living underground and I was officially scarred. Don't get me started on West World, Future World, Omega Man, The man with X-ray eyes, and Body Snatchers. If I'm missing any good ones I'm not even sure I want to know. Those movies f**ked me up.

Everyone was depressed about the future, especially the thought of nuclear war, the resulting nuclear winter/ice age (Planet of the Apes), advanced techology (West World, Future World, Bladerunner, Dark Star), or the world running out of resources like trees and water (Silent Running). That was also the time the film industry was first learning to do visual effects using computer technology (Tron, Star Trek).

The TV show UFO scared our admin at work - she had to drive along country roads to go and from work

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure
Does anyone remember Johnny Quest? There was an episode with the "Invisible Monster" that really spooked me. Something about not being able to see the creature as it wound its way through the jungle...

I loved that show! The spider at the beginning! Awesome!
Haji, Bandit, Johnny! What a Team.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by stormcell

That reminds me of that one Twilight Zone episode. I think it's called To Serve Mankind.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Carrie! I used to sort of 'leap' from my light switch to my bed because you know... maybe a monster under it lol... until Carrie. And then it was A BLOODY HAND that might just reach out and grab my ankle OMG.

When I was 10-12, my 4-years-older stepsister had a huge paper route, which I had to help with. We would stay up until around 3:30am on Sundays, because the papers would be delivered then and we'd have to fold them all and then do the route together with this very big rolling cart by early morning. This was circa 1974-1976.

They would play these old movies on TV from the 1am-3am time slot, which I suppose were some yesteryear version of horror. Like this one where this man was a murderer, and his first wife whom he'd divorced, she knew he was, but she still loved him, she always had. They remarried again and then one time, he brought up her 'snack' - a meat cleaver on a tray. She pleaded with him to not kill her, that she just loved him and wanted to be with him, but he did. And then she was there as a ghost and everyone could see and talk to her -- except him, lol. There was another where this guy would kill young women and then pose them in various model outfits in a big empty walk-in freezer. Well you get the idea. So we would always watch some slightly terrifying movie on the TV like that, and then at like 3:30 we'd go out, a 10-12 and 14-16 year old, in the pitch black, and fold newspapers.

So one day, we watch this movie I can't recall but it involved the loss of heads, and we went out to fold the papers, only to read the large headline story about how a local woman had been murdered and oh by the way, they found just-her-head in a ditch right near where we lived.

We folded and delivered papers faster that morning than ever in our lives.

I don't watch horror movies but I did watch part of Hellraiser as a teen, which I regretted!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join