It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious family abandons US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
www.seattlepi.com...

Religious people leaving for greener pastures get lost and stuck at sea and have to be rescued by "big government". This is so ironic I just had to post this. If god really told them to leave then wouldn't he have helped them make it? Maybe a bunch of Tea partiers will follow them?

This reminds me of the fools who sold everything because Harold Camping told them that Jesus was coming, and of course he never showed.
edit on 10-8-2013 by CB328 because: typo

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Apparently God led them back to the states.

I have to hand it to them, however. They actually DID what many only claim to want to do.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

It sure reminds me of the movie the mosquito coast starring Harrison Ford. The story is basically about a man and his family who left the USA to live in the jungles of Belize.The man left because he believed that the country was becoming decadent.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
sorry double post
edit on 10-8-2013 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

using believers " logic " - wouldn't one assume that this alledged god wanted them to go to chile ?

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by beezzer

using believers " logic " - wouldn't one assume that this alledged god wanted them to go to chile ?

Dunno. I'll ask God what he meant, but I can't guarantee that he'll get back to me.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
The shifting of responsibility from ones own shoulders to a being
who might not even exist is just irresponsible, these parents should
be brought up on charges of child endangerment, if a parent murders
their child in the name of god its a crime, i think attempted murder
in the name of god should also be a crime. this is just perverted
morality......

When will religion stop the immorality?

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by bloodreviara
morality......

If the intent is a better life and salvation, then I would never fault the parents.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by bloodreviara
morality......

Whew, wow. You're right of course they should just have abandoned their children and set sail without them right? Or maybe they should just not have tried to escape the evil they felt around them.

Don't get me wrong I don't follow imaginary celestial beings but you have no right to condemn someone for their faith or trying to do what they believe is right.

Let me guess you are a progressive democrat. (If not I apologize.)
edit on 11-8-2013 by Bassago because: typo

edit on 11-8-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
www.seattlepi.com...

Religious people leaving for greener pastures get lost and stuck at sea and have to be rescued by "big government". This is so ironic I just had to post this. If god really told them to leave then wouldn't he have helped them make it? Maybe a bunch of Tea partiers will follow them?

This reminds me of the fools who sold everything because Harold Camping told them that Jesus was coming, and of course he never showed.

No, these are just desperate people who obviously felt they had no other options within the great country of hope and change. Misery is is the eye of the beholder. Do not be so quick to judge other people or wish it on others even if you disagree with them. That's part of the big problem in the US.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Oh, I get it! "Big government" equals "true savior" (whereas their false god equals "bogus savior").

Yay! Go, Big Gov! Yeah, gotta love 'em....

/sarc

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
www.seattlepi.com...

Religion teaches that faith is more important than thinking. That man cannot determine his own destiny. He believes, and therefore he cannot. That's the irony and false hope of a dysfunctional faith. It becomes a crutch, an excuse to sit idly by as one's rights and then everyone's freedom is eventually repressed. This may represent the opaque reasoning of the proletariat mindset, as opposed to those who read books and seek a knowledge of things. Give the laborer a car and house with a yard and whatever happens outside of his four walls - the world can go mad for all he cares. The communal culture that assured survival of the whole has left us. Prosperity has spawned a false sense of individualism, forgetting the interdependence that could send us back to the iron age.

The real hope is in the understanding that mankind has the highest intelligence and imagination to craft his environment. Hope is evolution, progress, creativity and how they are manifest through the universal mind. History will write about civilized worlds that forgot religion, having attained superfluity in functional creativity over primeval ignorance, superstition.

They are bending the fabricate of space, while we are chocking in a cesspool. They are cooperating, colonizing, exploring from far above, while we make war with our brothers. They are making 500 year plans, while we are are asleep in the fog of moral ambiguity.

The universe and everything within it is in a constant struggle for evolution. Those who focus their minds toward the future are already there. A future where cheap, efficient energy and other technologies enable unlimited economic growth on earth and in space. No dependence on petroleum resources and thus no need for war to obtain them. There is a universal science shared by those deemed responsible, mature. It is for those who have vision.

It's not merely good reasoning to speculate about inhabited worlds, but to also imagine the benefits of a calculable technocracy that serves as the expression and empowerment of humanity's greatest needs, without the dire ramifications of the human condition.

edit on 11-8-2013 by g2v12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

I guess flying is a sin? Or is it only a sin when leaving a country, but not a sin when one is being rescued and brought back to where they started? Religion is so confusing. There's probably something in the bible about that somewhere.

Anyway, I hope their next trip is a nicer one. Good riddance. Perhaps they should pray to jesus next time?

I can't see how government is oppressing anyone, since there are just as many churches as there are bars and clubs. But I guess they love to think of themselves as being persecuted.

new topics

top topics

join