It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Texas, You Can Face Criminal Charges for Buying a Woman a Drink

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by yorkshirelad

Originally posted by Iamschist
Don't expect sympathy because a man thinks the way to court a woman is by getting her drunk, Excuse me? I think the bartender also should be prosecuted, just so you know. Given the number of people killed or maimed by drunk drivers every year, the penalties may not be harsh enough imho.

How about putting the driver behind bars! After all NOBODY forced the sober driver to drive to a bar (step 1 ), buy a drink whilst sober (step2), consume the drink (step3), buy another drink whilst still sober and within the limit (step 4), consume second drink (step 5) etc etc. By no stretch of the imagination can it be the bar tenders responsibility.

THE DRIVER WAS SOBER WHEN PURCHSING THE FIRST DRINK THE DRIVER IS SOLELY GUILTY.

PS.

This is typical of the world we live in. People screw up and instantly try and find a.n.other to blame. Lawyers love this becasue they can make money out of idiots who support this sloping shoulder mentality.
edit on 8/8/2013 by yorkshirelad because: PS

Try reading the OP. The driver is in prison for 38 years. The man buying drinks for her at the end of the night is charged with a misdemeanor.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
What? How about making people responsible for their own actions.

You know when you have had to much to drink and shouldn't be driving.

Exactly.

It's the driver's responsibility to not get behind the wheel if drunk. Nobody else's.

They had an ad campaign years ago here that said "friends don't let friends drink and drive" trying to make people feel responsible for the actions of others.

My opinion is if a "friend" expects me to punch them out to stop them driving drunk, then they are not a friend at all, therefore I am not responsible for their actions in any way.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I'm not sure Texas is the only state who looks at this.

Here's a true story, take heed.

A friend of mine threw a wedding bash for a friend at his home. One of the guests, a 21 year old female, hit another car while driving home drunk, and a woman was killed. The woman's family filed a lawsuit against my friend, for providing the alcohol.

Okay, the lawsuit didn't fly, and here is why. While he set up champagne glasses on a table and filled them, he did not actually place a glass of champagne in her hand. She picked it up off the table herself. (Apparently time and time again).

Anyway, had he put the glass in her hand, he would have been liable. Lesson learned. When you make a friend a drink now in your home, don't give it directly to them. Set it down, and let them pick it up.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
i propose people give up real beer and just have the virtual kind

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by yorkshirelad

Originally posted by Iamschist
Don't expect sympathy because a man thinks the way to court a woman is by getting her drunk, Excuse me? I think the bartender also should be prosecuted, just so you know. Given the number of people killed or maimed by drunk drivers every year, the penalties may not be harsh enough imho.

How about putting the driver behind bars! After all NOBODY forced the sober driver to drive to a bar (step 1 ), buy a drink whilst sober (step2), consume the drink (step3), buy another drink whilst still sober and within the limit (step 4), consume second drink (step 5) etc etc. By no stretch of the imagination can it be the bar tenders responsibility.

THE DRIVER WAS SOBER WHEN PURCHSING THE FIRST DRINK THE DRIVER IS SOLELY GUILTY.

PS.

This is typical of the world we live in. People screw up and instantly try and find a.n.other to blame. Lawyers love this becasue they can make money out of idiots who support this sloping shoulder mentality.
edit on 8/8/2013 by yorkshirelad because: PS

Slow down there a bit. They ARE getting the driver. Read the story. She'll probably never see free air and sunlight again for the rest of her life. 38 years in prison is what she got here and she doesn't look like an 18yr old to start that sentence. I'm thinking she may or may not live to ever see the end of it.

The addition here is the scumbag loser that stood in to say 'Hey, she isn't drunk enough yet!' and buy her 3 more, when the video on a previous page shows she was so drunk she could barely cross between tables without falling over on the spot. Someone thought that was at least good for the misdemeanor crime Texas says it apparently is....and I'd say they're right, personally.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

The bar which over-served her is ultimately responsible, the bar is just deflecting blame to the guy who bought her some drinks.

She may have been cut off by the bartender, but that doesn't relieve the bar of liability, the guy it's getting pinned onto is just an easy mark.

This is an example of your wonderful legal system at work, and your insurance industry lawyers trying to blame it on someone to avoid having to pay for the damage caused by diverting blame to someone besides their client.

Anything to save a buck or two....

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Wait so if someone provides more alcohol to those that are already too damn drunk to think, then that somebody can get in trouble?

Sounds good to me, too many alcohol related stupidity in our world now a days. I believe they should inspect the bar and the workers. I mean, they are providing a drug to the populace, so maybe they should be set up to higher standards.

And yes alcohol is a drug,
Noun
A substance that has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body, in particular.
edit on 8-8-2013 by th3onetruth because: cause

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
This just in. The family of a person who was killed when a morbidly obese person fell on them is suing McDonalds, Burger King, and KFC.
edit on 8-8-2013 by hotel1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
My gosh...the vitriol going on in this discussion...it's one thing to break an existing law; however, it is a different story when you are charged with "breaking" a law that should exist; yet, is not yet on the books.

Refer back to my OP...this guy is being charged with " the "law of parties," which holds a person criminally responsible for aiding or abetting a murderer.

Was this incident a "Murder"? No! At best, it was aiding and abetting to vehicular manslaughter. The prosecution has a better chance of prosecuting the fools who kept providing those drinks than it does going up against a horny teenager.

my 2 (more)- cents
edit on 8-8-2013 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Liberally? That's a hoot. Either it's a bad law or it isn't. I spoke to a friend to day whose ex put him in jail for calling her the C word in a bar. I couldn't believe you can't swear at a woman in FL, at least you can't call her the C word. I wonder if the B word is alright? Buying her a drink is illegal too. Soon a fella won't be able to look straight at us. We are probably not far from wearing the Burka. Everything old becomes new again.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by th3onetruth

Wait so if someone provides more alcohol to those that are already too damn drunk to think, then that somebody can get in trouble?

Sounds good to me, too many alcohol related stupidity in our world now a days. I believe they should inspect the bar and the workers. I mean, they are providing a drug to the populace, so maybe they should be set up to higher standards.

Do you know how many doctor and/or hospital connected deaths occur per capita in relation to DWIs? Drunk drivers have nothing on the "health"care industry.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

that maybe so, but healthcare isn't blasted on everything like alcohol is...like "professional" sports, movies, games, music..you can't go 10 feet without seeing an ad for alcohol..

<< 1  2  3   >>

join