It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LEGAL Free ebooks, and where to find them **NO PIRACY!!!**

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by yamammasamonkey

You are right, it is not a word known by the rest of the world. In fact it is not even recognised by any dictionary that I know of.

My definition would equate to the words.. . Bringer, Teller, Spreader, Transmitter

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I too am an avid reader. However, an acquaintance owns a kindle and I picked it up to try it. That thing is heavy! I'll stick with paperbacks, thanks.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

I too am an avid reader. However, an acquaintance owns a kindle and I picked it up to try it. That thing is heavy! I'll stick with paperbacks, thanks.

too heavy???
Are you SERIOUS?

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

too heavy???
Are you SERIOUS?

Afraid so. It's a lot heavier than a paperback. What else can I say?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
what did you pick up? a kindle is VERY light

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Check out the Gutenberg Project as well. They have been compiling old works whose copyrights have run out. You can find a wealth of classics, historical texts and other older works. I have used them extensively for homeschooling my son. They are all free and legal.

www.gutenberg.org

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

Thank you, I'll look at that too

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   

There's also the option of legit, free audiobooks. Librivox has a very large collection of public domain books in audio format. The only drawback is that not all the narrators are created equal, and sometimes the sound quality is not the best. Another thing is that the narrator can vary between chapters and they keep on repeating meta information between chapters. Clearly not as good as commercial audiobooks, but they are legal and free.

Librivox.org

For that matter, I believe most libraries have access to all sorts of e-books and audiobooks. People should check their local libraries for this resource.

I've gone over to mostly listening to books anymore, because I read enough on an electric screen just web surfing. One can also convert text to speech fairly well anymore -- at least on Mac OS; I don't know about Windows OS's. In this way any e-book can become an audiobook.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

I'd rather read the books, listening to book puts me to sleep lol

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
reply to post by MrInquisitive

I'd rather read the books, listening to book puts me to sleep lol

Suit yourself. Actually I do like to go to bed with a book playing. But I also like to multi-task and listen to some pulp audio fiction while doing stuff on the computer. There may be some here, besides yourself, who also would be interested in audiobooks. But your POV is duly noted.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

Archive.org is similar, and includes, I think, everything that is on Gutenberg.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   

bookos.org

This is an enormous resource with books in different formats (and languages).

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
One of my favourite places to find Kindle books is ebookdaily.com... While they don't have the largest selection, you get points every day you log in that eventually turn into a $20 Amazon certificate.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Nice post,very useful,thanks

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Go to amazon and search.. there are many free ebooks on amazon. If you are asking for free books more than likely youwill get piracy.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Great thread!

I recently found this site OBOOKO, so far I've been very pleased with their selection and ease of use.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
www.hathitrust.org

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I completely understand what your talking about with the Kindle. I have one and it is lightweight enough, as long as you don't have serious arthritis or a really bad case of carpel tunnel syndrome, both of which I have.

In fact, my Kindle has become so painful and just downright cumbersome to use that I have started downloading books straight onto my laptop and reading them from there.

I have found it an easier and much less painful way to read even more then paperback books, much less stress on my hands and wrists.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I quite like www.smashwords.com...

There are lots of free books which can be downloaded in many genres of fiction and non-fiction.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Awesome, i was just gonna start a thread like this....so instead i will expand upon it and it can continue

Of all the sites offered so far my favorite has to be Feed Books

Now, all of these books are in the public domain and easily downloadable to your favorite tablet so the only question is what genre you enjoy....here is a small sample of what is offered

Fantasy:
The OZ Books
The Conan the Barbarian series
The Wind in the Willows
The Alice in Wonderland series

Sci-Fi
Journey to the Center of the Earth
The Time Machine
I, Robot
A Princess of Mars

Horror
Call of Cthulhu