It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Citizens shut down police check point.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Love your Avatar by the way. Is that a beat down, frustrated, exhausted Ron Paul likeness? How poetic of you.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

law enforcement are turning into glorified meter maids, anything to meet their quotas, can't lose out on that big promotion!

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Limbo
What I find unnerving is that the guy tells them (the cars) to stop talking on their cell phone
and put their seatbelts on etc. He knows they are breaking the law and are being
a danger to other people.

All these guys are doing is admonishing people to not drive while using their cell phones and to wear their seat belts, and warning the good drivers that there is a police checkpoint ahead, around a blind curve, in order to caution them to slow down. They're just doing a live PSA performance art skit -- and providing a public safety service to boot, unlike the goons in blue who are indeed endangering people just to increase their revenue stream with more petty traffic citations, and perhaps a chance to strip search and body-cavity search a female or two -- or maybe hit the jackpot and confiscate a car and the cash in it.

I'm not for people using their cell phones while driving, but check points like these aren't the way to stop it. Have video cameras and still shots of passing cars and their license plates -- just like speed traps. As for seat belts, I always ware mine, but it should be a person's own decision. Why is the government concerned about our health and safety in this respect, but doesn't give a rip about bombarding airplane passengers with x-rays?

These checkpoints are just a way for the pigs to strut their authoritarian power and to de-sensitive the sheople to it in order to make further inroads into the abrogation of citizens' rights.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

A friend of mine owns a bar downtown in New Orleans (still). He said during Katrina it was a free for all!!! Think CA during the 92’ LA riots!!!

People (thugs) were getting mowed down like GRASS and the police didn’t have sheeeeet to say! They stood back and watched (out of fear for their own safety!). People take care of themselves and cops are people, too.

Actually the cops were in New Orleans during Katrina -- and shooting a mentally disabled black man in the back as well as other innocent black men for no reason, no less:

NYT: Officers Guilty of Shooting Six in New Orleans

Sorry if that doesn't comport with your take on the matter.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   

nazi germany had check points too. hmmmm But america is a free country right?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bone75

That was awesome! I live in a small town in MS where roadblocks like this take place almost every weekend. There are a whole lot of people here that are just barely getting by as it is, and these roadblocks and over policing are keeping those people right where they are.

Imagine being underemployed to the point that you can't afford insurance, or can't afford to get that windshield replaced in order to get an inspection sticker. Just when you reach a point where you can almost afford such things... BAM! Roadblock! Back to the poorhouse for you! And if you don't have insurance guess what, straight to jail and your car gets impounded. Say goodbye to that new job you just landed.

Off topic here, but does anyone else find it crazy that I can drive 90 MPH down the wrong side of the road with my ass hanging out the window, only to get a few tickets... but if I'm caught driving without insurance I go straight to jail?

Uh, because if you have a crash while driving 90MPG down the wrong side of the road with your ass hanging out of the window, you'll still be able to pay the medical bills for those individuals that you injured, while if you have no insurance, you'll more than likely bankrupt them.

I've read so many article about families that were torn apart because some South American illegal didn't have insurance and maimed someone with permanent head injuries and/or crush injuries. With insurance they would have been able to pay for the rehabilitation, physiotherapy, adapted vehicles/homes of those they injured. But with no insurance, it's up to the injured person's family to take out a second mortgage on the home, appeal for charity donations, write books and do visiting talks.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

Originally posted by gladtobehere
reply to post by HomerinNC

Good point.

And there were like 6 or 7 cop cars? Is there no more crime in America? Or is terrorizing citizens a full time job?

Is it me or are there WAY too many cops?

edit on 5-8-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

What if a drink/drugs driver is amongst them but not at the point were it's obvious they may get past.

Now in either scenario What if those people thinking they are helping their fellow citizens then get back into there cars and later that day one of their family/friends or even them ends up as a VICTIM because of what they think was a good thing to do.

I wonder how they feel then

What if? what if? What if a guy is on his way to work and is stopped by these checkpoints, and due to the stop he misses work by half an hour and is fired for being late? Works boths ways.
Your scenario is a work of fiction just like mine.
edit on 7-8-2013 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere
reply to post by HomerinNC

Good point.

And there were like 6 or 7 cop cars? Is there no more crime in America? Or is terrorizing citizens a full time job?

Is it me or are there WAY too many cops?

edit on 5-8-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

They are trying to generate cash for the police that's all.

In my area (Southern Maryland), the police had to take down speed camera and may have to refund a bunch of tickets as the warning sign e.g., "Speed Enforced using Camera's", or something like this, was placed too far outside the School Zone where speeds need to be reduced. I think the intent is good. Drivers do often go too fast around school. That said, I'll be looking for a refund myself!

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by sparrowstail
reply to post by ugie1028

Love your Avatar by the way. Is that a beat down, frustrated, exhausted Ron Paul likeness? How poetic of you.

thanks. BigFatFurryTexan made it for me. If anyone was the poet here, it was him. Your reason for loving it is why I really liked it. expresses me perfectly.

back on topic.

I really want more people to do what they're doing. We need more cop blockers. Too many innocent people are being harassed at these checkpoints, not to mention IMO, that they're also road hazards.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Taggart

Why the selective quote then
why edit part out did it pee on your argument slightly!!!

The bit you edited out for some reason.

This happens in the UK as well mostly speed checks,looking for drink drivers and fuel checks,but I will say that although people on here are giving it the usual spin on this situation re there rights lets look at a possible scenarios.

They are warning people to put a seat belt on if they haven't already, what if one of those people is wanted, has just committed a crime elsewhere,or is on the way to commit one if they did not have a seat belt on they may have been stopped but not now.

edit on 7-8-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
what happened to the old school way of warning people of a police speed trap or check point by flashing your lights. Have people forgot what that means? I don't know, people don't seem to do that anymore. Good for these guys good job. The first thought in everyone's mind when they see a cop is he is not there to help until proven other wise.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I lived in Florida in the mid 80's. This is what I found out Florida does. Florida will post signs on the Highway telling you there is a checkpoint ahead, normally right before an exit. The signs say Check point in one mile, but the signs are right before and exit. What's at the stop sign on the exit ramp? A checkpoint with drug sniffing dogs. They know you will see the signs and exit if your not wanting to be stopped. They got you anyways. Once you stop, they walk the dog around the car. If the dog makes a reaction, they pulll you off to the side and give you the fine tooth comb procedure. Dirty bastards.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

reply to post by Taggart

Why the selective quote then
why edit part out did it pee on your argument slightly!!!

The bit you edited out for some reason.

This happens in the UK as well mostly speed checks,looking for drink drivers and fuel checks,but I will say that although people on here are giving it the usual spin on this situation re there rights lets look at a possible scenarios.

They are warning people to put a seat belt on if they haven't already, what if one of those people is wanted, has just committed a crime elsewhere,or is on the way to commit one if they did not have a seat belt on they may have been stopped but not now.

edit on 7-8-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

Because I took issue with piece I selected, just because it happens in UK looking for drink drivers etc, that doesn't fly with American rights nor is there any proof they save lives or money and like I said the last part is a bunch of ''what if's''
To which anyone can write, what if at a police stop they stop a driver and he is innocent when car after car drive by full of criminals. What if scenarios do not come in to play when there are clear RIGHTS.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by stormcell

Uh, because if you have a crash while driving 90MPG down the wrong side of the road with your ass hanging out of the window, you'll still be able to pay the medical bills for those individuals that you injured, while if you have no insurance, you'll more than likely bankrupt them.

I've read so many article about families that were torn apart because some South American illegal didn't have insurance and maimed someone with permanent head injuries and/or crush injuries. With insurance they would have been able to pay for the rehabilitation, physiotherapy, adapted vehicles/homes of those they injured. But with no insurance, it's up to the injured person's family to take out a second mortgage on the home, appeal for charity donations, write books and do visiting talks.

You're totally missing the point. Which is more dangerous, driving down the wrong side of the road with insurance, or driving down the right side of the road without it?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I have to say - I love people with spunk sometimes. They saved who knows how many people from different types of tickets. Check points are necessary if a child has been abducted, or a hostage situation, or maybe even a jail break out. But other than that - we have our rights and if a cop runs your plates and they need to pull you over then fine. But for the rest of it - it's a nuisance and is unreasonable.

Conmi

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
could someone explain this to me.

I dont get it. What is amazing about this video? Why is this breaking?

Im from Sweden so that should explain me not getting it.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Counterpoint: Disorderly Conduct.

I'll be back later.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Watch this video to the end and then when the youtube suggested videos come up, watch the one with the 3 guys in Oregon exercising their gun rights. pretty awesome.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

From now on I think I might refer to "policing for profit" as "dollars to doughnuts".
classic.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join