It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where in the world do I go in San Diego?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Okay folks, I'm here to shamelessly seek advice from people who may have had a bit more adventures than I.

So I haven't had a vacation in about 6 years. I live on the east coast. Just booked a flight to San Diego, CA, and I have never been close to that far from here (Pittsburgh is the furthest west I've ever been). Let's say I'm about 30 years old. What would you recommend I do there?

I'd like to go up and down the coast, I have about a week and a half to spend out there, and I just want it to be memorable (though I don't want to have a 16-hour itinerary every day either).

I know about the zoo, sea world, all that touristy stuff and I'm not uber-interested in that. I'd like to maybe go out to the desert or something like that too.

Maybe someone local has advice? Either way.. much appreciation in advance!

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by andboycott

I thought it was "Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?"

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Play some golf at Torrey Pines. Go check out the Hotel Del Coronado. Very beautiful hotel. Not into touristy stuff then stay away from Old Town

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

It depends on your interests, but a couple places I highly recommend? First, the Ronald Reagan Library. Love him or hate him, it doesn't matter. The gifts displays show some truly priceless items they were given by other heads of state. I am sure security in there is as intense as it is invisible, because some of that is literally golden and jewel encrusted all over. Also, a full 1:1 replica of the Oval Office, complete with Reagan's actual personal effects from the real thing when he was President. (I'ts MUCH smaller a room than it appears to be in photographs, let alone TV) It also has.....Air Force One! You can walk through the one in service before they were replaced going into Bush Sr's time.

The other thing, if you get up the coast, is the Winchester Mystery House. It's truly one of a kind and something you'll never forget to have spent the time at. Well worth it, IMO. (I['d strongly recommend taking the 101 Freeway out of L.A. and up the coast to get there. It runs above and along side the Pacific in some areas, giving an incredible view over top of the beach homes and other things built between the highway and water.

Have a great vacation!

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Visit Pacific Beach and Ocean Beach. Catch a Padres game. They're not very good, but its a fun time.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I used to live there for a brief time...

Gaslamp District is a busy downtown area with lots of stores and restaurants. Good food, hand rolled cigars, cool mall. California has open air malls. I know, a mall's not where you want to go on vacation, but very different from east coast malls. The one in the Gaslamp is neato.

Black's Beach(hope i got that right, been a while). Black beach sand, huge cliff behind it. very secluded. Part of it is a nude beach, if that's your thing.

La Holla. Richer area. Art gallery. If I remember correctly.

I am sure you will get many more suggestions.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
A lot of ideas already lol. Thank you

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The Zoo actually is pretty cool.

Rent a convertible and drive up the coast.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Get a California Burrito from Lucha Libres, its right by the air port.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
The Zoo actually is pretty cool.

Rent a convertible and drive up the coast.

Driving the coast is a good idea. Nice drive. You don't need to go all the way to LA, just like Del Mar.

I second the zoo. Very good zoo.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Lets say your about 30 years old?

Why say that?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Get a California Burrito from Lucha Libres, its right by the air port.

OMG, I forgot about Lucha Libres.
You need to eat some Mexican food while you are there, for sure. You won't find its like in PA.

While your at it, Tijuana is only about a hour or so away. I think you can take a train there too. Just be careful.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

that's why I clicked on it too..

Just seeing that name brought nostalgia, though I never played the game.

Wonder if OP knew about it..

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
If your a fan of driving and depending how far you want to go I'd recommend the Pacific Coast Highway. I drove it all they way from Washington and it was great fun, although get ready for some sore legs. Also mind the cyclists.

If you want desert I'd go see the Salton Sea. Plus you can say you've been somewhere that's below sea level without driving all the way to death valley.

Catalina Island is supposed to be pretty cool. I grew up in Arizona and my school did a trip to Catalina Island every year.

The wind farms over by Indio and Palm Springs are pretty cool to see.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MadMax7

well because I'm not adverse to nightlife and activity whatnot.. Should I be 18 I couldn't go out to bars or whatever and if I was 65 I probably wouldn't want to be too rigorous with my adventures

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by nOraKat

Yes that's why I titled this as such. No crazy clues to discover here though sorry for that

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I am a member and I visit the zoo every week. I never tire of it; it is the most famous zoo in the world for a reason. Seriously, don't miss it.

Right next to the zoo is Balboa Park; a truly lovely park full of gardens and museums. I challenge you to find so lovely a park in any other city in the U.S.

The beach at La Jolla Shores is my favorite San Diego beach, though Mission Beach, with its many beachy shops, arcade, and beachfront roller coaster, is the quintessential California beach town.

I'd stay away from the desert, where it is likely to be about 120 degrees and miserable. Though a tour through Borrego Springs with a volunteer desert guide (my late uncle used to be one) might be nice during a different time of year: say, the spring blooming season, when the desert is spectacular.

There is great golfing at La Costa in Del Mar as well as at Torrey Pines, if that is your thing.

The Hotel Del Coronado is a great historical hotel (complete with its own ghost!) and it's worth an afternoon to wander around its gorgeous old-fashioned lobby and shops, or spend an evening swing dancing to jazz in the lounge.

DO SKIP Sea World. It used to be great but now it is nauseatingly commercialized and dumbed down.

--- And ugh don't go to the Salton Sea. There is nothing there but a few abandoned mobile home parks and it smells bad, too.

edit on 4-8-2013 by OuttaHere because: Don't go the Salton Sea. Yuck!

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

If I were you, I would cancel any planned hotel time. Drive straight to the ocean and take a dip. Then I would rent a car and go up to see the red woods and sequoias. Maybe you stay the night up there? Who knows. Than I would head straight to the desert. Drive through Death Valley, the Mojave and into Utah. Google the cool hiking spots. Yes, it's the dead middle of summer you will get scorched but it's worth it. You could spend days driving from park to park hiking through all of the beautiful rock formations, hot springs, breath taking rock walls. Venture into Utah, Arizona, go see the Grand Canyon, maybe even Colorado. See how far you get, sleep when and where you can (wal-mart policy is to allow people to stay in the parking lots over night, some even have RV hookups, so maybe rent a van or a truck with a top on the back or even an RV). Than a day or two before returning to work, find an airport, catch a red eye (cheaper) and fly home. If that's not an option, than only drive into the desert for a day or two and drive back over a day or two. Design a route, do a big loop and fly out of San Diego. Have fun, be safe. Don't miss the desert. Its breath taking. Utah is unbelievable. You will be stunned for the rest of your life. If you really just want to stay in Cali, than head straight up the coast and back down. DON'T MISS JOSHUA TREE!

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Ahhhh, good ol San diego. Got some family down there.

Hit up Ocean beach, they have a weekly street fair with all kinds of food vendors and stuff like that.
Mission beach has some pretty cool amusement rides.
You could rent a long board and skate along the beach.

My sister does museum tours at Balboa park, awesome park.

FOOD, so many good resturants and bars down there.

San Diego is awesome!

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   

If you dont mind driving some, dont forget there is always disneyland and knotts berry farm, universal studios, check out hollyweird....

new topics

top topics

join