It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Pressure Cookers and Backpacks, Get a Visit from the Cops

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Google Pressure Cookers and Backpacks, Get a Visit from the Cops

www.theatlanticwire.com

Michele Catalano was looking for information online about pressure cookers. Her husband, in the same time frame, was Googling backpacks. Wednesday morning, six men from a joint terrorism task force showed up at their house to see if they were terrorists. Which prompts the question: How'd the government know what they were Googling?
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 8/1/2013 by semperfortis because: Copy the EXACT Headline

Important Topic Updates
Please see updated info here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on Fri Aug 2 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Just wanted to post this to make sure everyone is aware. Be careful what you search for people. I don't know what to think anymore. Depression coupled with a fleeting sense of freedom. Maybe Huxley was right after all. Sweden is looking pretty nice this time of year. No?

So what do you think ATS?

MOTF!

www.theatlanticwire.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

How'd the government know what they were Googling?

Looks like the person who wrote this article hasnt been paying much attention to the news.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Speechless....
I'm angered and don't know how to postulate my words on this computer... This is just wrong.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I was looking for Aeternum pressure cookers on eBay last night, to see what mine was worth. I bought it at a garage sale, and it turns out it was an excellent buy, AND FAR TOO NICE TO USE FOR ANY PURPOSE BUT COOKING FOOD.

edit: I avoid Goooooooooooogle.
edit on 1-8-2013 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

I hope you haven't found the need to google any kind of backpack in the last few weeks.

MOTF!

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Whats stupid about these news is that by now the US should be well schooled in asymmetric warfare and should know that like in afghanistan and iraq these low tech tactics are used one or twice and then they change the m.o, the method, the materials, the delivery system, etc...

So... with the house robbed, now you change the locks? Makes no sense.

Like people who stop eating certain food AFTER the health warning has been issued... what about all the time that food was not checked and everyone ate it?

This sort of behavior makes one think about whos at the wheel...

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

No one should use google unless they absolutely need to as a final check to find something (which usually doesnt turn up anything new from my experience). I use ixquick / startpage, and Im not sure if they are corrupted or not as google is, but I think they are a safer bet, and honestly Ive never had trouble finding anything on them.

Like I said the times Ive used ixquick / startpage and have not been able to find something, trying it on google didnt reveal any extra data that ixquick didnt pick up.

www.ixquick.com...
edit on 8/1/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

I just assume that any key pressed or link clicked on any computer does into a database. The more you use the computer the more they can put 2 and 2 together.

MOTF!

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

I really cant stand what this Govt has done to my once proud country.
Lets everyone do what AJ calls a Google bomb!
At some appointed time everyone Google, back packs and pressure cookers and send them scrambling all over the country.

And when youre done with that..everyone gtfo of google, there are alternatives.

DuckDuckGo
edit on 1-8-2013 by Sharingan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Seems a little invasive.

Our government is truly inept. All this spying does very little to catch bad guys, it is a waste of money that they do not have. Someone googles pressure cookers and backpacks and that warrants Special Agents paying you a visit?

I may not have a 4 year degree but I can think of hundreds of ways to make an IED from stuff I can buy at wal-mart.

We the American citizen have lost our freedom and there is no way to get it back.

+27 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
You guys do realize that at this rate, we're about 5-10 years away from getting pulled out of our houses just for posting opinions on ATS.

Good ol' days are gone, and I ain't goin in no gov controlled reeducation camp©.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Well I did google backpacks for my laptop and also Anarchy files lol also I have some pdf's on survival too
edit on 8/1/1313 by Sk8ergrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Sharingan

Just googled all of the above plus diesel, ammonium nitrate, and a few other things. I can guarantee if they wanted to 'interview' me they will have an extremely difficult time finding me.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Is our government still "good" in the eyes of some people because it's "us"?

The propaganda that strong in which we are portrayed to be "free"?

It doesn't make sense how we can call out the states of the past such as Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia but at the same time not look objectively to our own state and not realize it's very much headed in the same direction at breakneck speeds.

I really don't understand the difference, is it because we speak English?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
reply to post by Sharingan

Just googled all of the above plus diesel, ammonium nitrate, and a few other things. I can guarantee if they wanted to 'interview' me they will have an extremely difficult time finding me.

They will probably just access your post history and realize your mindset for doing so, then possibly place you under surveillance, no biggy.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

That's why they call it the "American Dream".

MOTF!
edit on 1-8-2013 by MessOnTheFED! because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I'd like to pose something to consider here..... IF these folks really did draw attention JUST for searching terms that made the JTTF in that area think they had winners to go arrest? WHAT does that say about *US*? Seriously, think about that for a moment.

I don't know about anyone else here, but a few months ago, while making my very own Youtube channel, I discovered something. Youtube tracked and had for my review, EVERY video I have EVER viewed on their site. That includes ones clicked to view through ATS. Didn't matter. Youtube still saw it was ME and recorded it for my 'Play History'. The list went back multiple years....YEARS...and before I HAD a login with Youtube or Gmail to have thought they could correlate my online viewing to one account for index.

So again.... If a couple terms searched *IS* all it takes to get their attention.........anyone see where I'm going yet?

That tells me, for the majority of us? We have not only BEEN checked out, but we continue to be checked out on a regular basis, after tripping their wires and alarms on keywords & concepts. People wonder if "they" know who "we" are? This story tells me they not only know, but HAVE known and are fine with it, for now. They have been all along.....

(throws stacks of papers into the air) So much for any concept of privacy or illusions of anonymity to anyone but other users just like ourselves.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
If you want the CIA Assassination Manual just pm me I'm joking CIA, GCHQ, MOD, DOD, MI5, MI6, MI7, etc lol
edit on 8/1/1313 by Sk8ergrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Wow, MOTF, that's just mad.

The old "who cares what they see if I'm not doing anything wrong" kind of goes out the window when innocent things are combined to be "wrong" -- what if one of these agents was a little jittery and the husband did something innocent, but a little dodgy, and got shot for it?

Madness.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join