It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

XKeyscore: NSA tool collects 'nearly everything a user does on the internet' - With Slides

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
• XKeyscore gives 'widest-reaching' collection of online data
• NSA analysts require no prior authorization for searches
• Sweeps up emails, social media activity and browsing history

Here we go, after PRISM another top secret National Security Agency program allows analysts to search with no prior authorization through vast databases containing emails, online chats and the browsing histories of millions of individuals. His name isXKeyscore. For further details you can see XKeyscore presentation from 2008 - Training materials for the XKeyscore program detail how analysts can use it and other systems to mine enormous agency databases and develop intelligence from the web.

www.theguardian.com...

The files shed light on one of Snowden's most controversial statements, made in his first video interview published by the Guardian on June 10. "I, sitting at my desk," said Snowden, could "wiretap anyone, from you or your accountant, to a federal judge or even the president, if I had a personal email".

More information in article below.
I'm speechless, all i can say Jesus,Alah, Budha are all in history now ...We have New GODS

The Senate Judiciary hearing on NSA data collection is just underway.

www.theguardian.com...

---------- ADMIN EDIT ----------

I was preparing the individual slides for posting to ATS as a new thread, may as well put them here:

edit on 31-7-2013 by SkepticOverlord because: Added presentation slides

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Yes we have a totalitarian government in the US. Let's face that right now. They can control elections and the banks and corporations are in symbiosis with the Executive Branch.

The sad part is, I think we lost it in the early 1900's

So Democracy is theater and corporations are in charge of all food and water supplies, health care and they are in charge of making war. See the picture yet?
edit on 31-7-2013 by InverseLookingGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
i feel so honored my personal individual time and what i read or do is so important to artificial intelligence agencies. Bravo, bravo, bravo.

*bows*

This just means we have a lot of people who need psychological help and analysis for their voyeuristic personality disorders. I think 100cc of any horse tranquilizer will do

edit on 31-7-2013 by jvm222 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
oooo... You beat me by seconds... I actually have my whole article typed and formatted to hit submit. Good job on the fast catch for the NSA's latest program to screw us to the wall and smile while they do it.

As I was saying in the one I had written, this is basically the guts and soul of something I've heard referred to as the Totality Concept and this is the first program I've yet seen to reach for that level of 'Everything' in a God Mode. It's what it sounds like. Total Control, Total Prediction, Total Recall. Totality in all of life for inspection, review and manipulation.

The NSA is leading the charge to reach that goal like the MC at a Macy's Day Parade. I'm about sick of it, personally.

Next we'll hear they mastered the Creighton book Timeline's Quantum teleportation and spy methods for a real life application. They seem to know absolutely no other limits in life.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Some thing tells me that the progression of technology and the push to "connect everything" was the plan all along.

So few people could not control so many when it was all hand written, we thought we were driven forward with technology to make our lives easier and safer and it has - but at a cost of basic freedoms our elected governments were created to protect.

sigh.

Expect a fine through the post one day that asks you to pay for each and every swear word you ever wrote on the internet (or even any where else) when one day someone decides that foul language corrupts our youth!

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Beyond emails, the XKeyscore system allows analysts to monitor a virtually unlimited array of other internet activities, including those within social media.
An NSA tool called DNI Presenter, used to read the content of stored emails, also enables an analyst using XKeyscore to read the content of Facebook chats or private messages. An analyst can monitor such Facebook chats by entering the Facebook user name and a date range into a simple search screen.
Analysts can search for internet browsing activities using a wide range of information, including search terms entered by the user or the websites viewed.

As one slide indicates, the ability to search HTTP activity by keyword permits the analyst access to what the NSA calls "nearly everything a typical user does on the internet".

The XKeyscore program also allows an analyst to learn the IP addresses of every person who visits any website the analyst specifies.

www.theguardian.com...

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
What I want to know is if we have this really powerful spy system...

Why do we still have terrorist attacks that seem like a surprise?
How did those mass jail breaks happen without them being prepared for it?

What's the point of all this surveillance if it doesn't prevent anything?

And if it did prevent something tragic, wouldn't they brag about it to convince us it's a good idea?
Why wouldn't they if they specifically choose not to defend it?

All I have are questions mostly.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I think I can answer that one, pretty easily. Why don't you know Nuclear Physics? Why not Medical Treatment to at least a CNA level? Why not Auto mechanics, if you don't?

After all, the information is right there and I can even direct folks to partial degree courses that come free of charge if taken by their outline. Google holds all though ...so why don't we know all?

The same reason they can have everything on everyone yet know very little which matters. They still need a human being with SKILL and critical thinking, developed over time and life experiences, to know what to type for a search and then how to capitalize on those results to search more and more and more. They seem to hire the best in egghead terms, but not so much in common sense 'This is how we FIX a problem, not just work it', type people.

The more they collect? The worse that problem becomes for them, actually. Until or Unless A.I. for real comes out? They're drowning in an ocean entirely of their own making. The irony is almost funny, if the rights violated to make it weren't so serious.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

9/11 gave them the reason to do it.

All the attacks happen because its not for stopping CIA ops, sorry i mean terrorists.

it was just a foot in the door to violate your rights "legally" (aka bull#tally)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by InverseLookingGlass
Yes we have a totalitarian government in the US. Let's face that right now. They can control elections and the banks and corporations are in symbiosis with the Executive Branch.

The sad part is, I think we lost it in the early 1900's

So Democracy is theater and corporations are in charge of all food and water supplies, health care and they are in charge of making war. See the picture yet?
edit on 31-7-2013 by InverseLookingGlass because: (no reason given)

I think this goes beyond the executive branch .. these programs, and programs like them have existed over the last few presidencies .. I remember reading about some kind of software back in the early 90s that was for collecting e-mail, wish I could remember what it was called.. That was during senior bush's term..

Prism, this new NSA program .. was started in 2007 during junior bush's term.. and it's interesting to me that Senior BUSH used to be director of the CIA
edit on 7/31/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
And to think Apple is adding fingerprint biometrics to their next batch of iPhones... That should help round out the NSAs records on us...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 31-7-2013 by Heliophant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heliophant
And to think Apple is adding fingerprint biometrics to their next batch of iPhones... That should help round out the NSAs records on us...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Well in all fairness, I've seen apple fanboys begging for that feature since the iphone first rolled out.. every year on modmyi.com I see people speculating that it's coming

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I have been saying this was happening for a couple of years. Why have the capibility to do it ( which they do) if you are not actually going to do it. They are lying about the extent they are spying on Americans.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Like moths to a flame... I like my iPhone, but I'm already uneasy about the NSA snooping on ALL phones and devices. And now we have pretty hard evidence that fingerprint biometrics really are being added to the next batch of Apple hardware. The latest iOS 7 Beta includes the code for it... Read my thread linked in last post.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by GArnold
I have been saying this was happening for a couple of years. Why have the capibility to do it ( which they do) if you are not actually going to do it. They are lying about the extent they are spying on Americans.

They only have that capability because major corporations are giving them that ability.. they are in bed with AT&T fpr example, which is one of the major tier 1 backbones for the internet ( there are 6 total ) ..

The thing I found interesting in all this is that the NSA is specifically for foreign intelligence .. so they claim anything they find that is domestic they will store for a brief period and throw away.. but they also said if they find evidence of illegal activity, not relating to foreign matters, they forward that information to the appropriate agency.. so in effect the FBI is also making use of this intelligence because the NSA will hand over that information for them to persue.. it keeps everything "legal" ..

"Oops we accidentally captured an email about someone robbing a jewelry store.. but it's domestic, we can't legally touch it .. here FBI, you should see this"

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
So wait... a... Gosh... Darn... Cotton, pickin... Minute... Your telling me.... They can see when I'm playing~ errrrrr..... I mean..... Oh s$it~!

That being said... I hope they enjoy the data there collecting

edit on 31-7-2013 by sulaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000

As one slide indicates, the ability to search HTTP activity by keyword permits the analyst access to what the NSA calls "nearly everything a typical user does on the internet".

They still can't crack https unless they do a man in the middle attack and forge the certificates.. I recommend people use the https anywhere extension.. it enables https on sites that support it even if you don't know they do.. google for example..

Facebook has https capabilities as well.. with that enabled, they'd only be able to get your chat history by requesting it from facebook.. ( who will gladly hand it over )

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Good points. I do not believe them when they say the program is not targeting Americans. Simple as that. They may forward it to the FBI or what not.. Why have the storage area to store everything on Earth? Why have Supercomputers that can do quadrillion calculations a millisecond if they are not actually using it?

The famous wired article from a few years ago comes out and basically says exactly what Snowden leaked.

www.wired.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.wired.com...

Under construction by contractors with top-secret clearances, the blandly named Utah Data Center is being built for the National Security Agency. A project of immense secrecy, it is the final piece in a complex puzzle assembled over the past decade. Its purpose: to intercept, decipher, analyze, and store vast swaths of the world’s communications as they zap down from satellites and zip through the underground and undersea cables of international, foreign, and domestic networks. The heavily fortified $2 billion center should be up and running in September 2013. Flowing through its servers and routers and stored in near-bottomless databases will be all forms of communication, including the complete contents of private emails, cell phone calls, and Google searches, as well as all sorts of personal data trails—parking receipts, travel itineraries, bookstore purchases, and other digital “pocket litter.” It is, in some measure, the realization of the “total information awareness” program created during the first term of the Bush administration—an effort that was killed by Congress in 2003 after it caused an outcry over its potential for invading Americans’ privacy.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
"Over 300 terrorists captured with Xkeyscore.." So they are saying that this is the program that caught the 300 terrorists that they were alluding to? Then perhaps the other domestic spying programs of the NSA are not necessary?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want any of this to be used on US citizens.
edit on 31-7-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Just looked at the presentation.
Do they really have about 25 sites along the coast of Antarctica?

Maybe a mistake, but it caught my eye

page 6:

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join