It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toronto Police Kill 18 Year Old Alone On Streetcar. Caught on Video. I Am Speechless.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+47 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Another sad, enraging incident of overkill (literally) by out of control LEOs.
Apparently they shot him NINE times then tasered him once he was down.
This is sick. Our society is sick. We need help big time.

Still from the video at about 2-3 seconds before Sammy Yatim stepped forward, followed by immediate gunfire from the Toronto police.

Link to Article

Link to Video
edit on 29-7-2013 by SkepticOverlord because: added still from the video

+51 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I counted nine shots, in two clusters. It is glaringly obvious that the first cluster ( three shots ) was more than enough to deal with a knife wielding man who did not even appear to be attacking or trying to attack. The next six shots, I can only assume, were to make sure that he never got back up. I cannot imagine him being a threat after already being shot three times and put down.

IE the last six shots were murder. Plain and simple.

+12 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Let's see how long it takes for someone to enter the thread and say it was a justifiable shoot.

My guess is 10 posts or less.

There's not really a lot I can say about the cowardice displayed in that video that wouldn't violate some t+c policy, so I'm just going to fume quietly for a while.

+28 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I counted nine shots, in two clusters. It is glaringly obvious that the first cluster ( three shots ) was more than enough to deal with a knife wielding man who did not even appear to be attacking or trying to attack. The next six shots, I can only assume, were to make sure that he never got back up. I cannot imagine him being a threat after already being shot three times and put down.

IE the last six shots were murder. Plain and simple.

Do I pull knives inside public places and scare the living crap out of everyone and force everyone out of public places under knife threat? No.

Quit forgiving criminals, blatant threats to society and people that dont contribute with anything but with fear and insecurity towards law abiding innocent citizens.

That being said... I seriously doubt much was lost besides 8 extra bullets since 1 well placed should have done its job.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I believe you are correct. I also think they could have mediated this crisis verbally. I cannot see how any of those officer's lives were in imminent danger.

A lot of people are VERY P.O.d about this and rightfully so.

My thoughts go out to this young man's family.

+16 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Gun Vs Knife? Hmmm I think this is a situation where a taser could have been utilized. That would just make too much sense, however.

+59 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

God forbid you should ever have a nervous breakdown or otherwise become mentally ill.

+35 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Anyway for those of you that are curious, i live about 30 mins from the shooting place.

The Investigation shut off any information from leaking, they already know they screwed up.

Many people that knew the boy (he was 17, not yet 18) not sure why he had a knife, he was normal(if you were to describe someone you know).

The knife: it was a 3 INCH knife.

during the shooting, he was not a threat to anyone, he had his hands to the side, NO ONE WAS AROUND.

All they know is the police officer just opened fire for no reason.

The bystanders did not expect police to shoot, let alone 9 times. The bystanders didn't even think it warranted a gun.

The person with a knife was just standing, no threat to anyone, did not move toward the police.

This is all the info i have so far.

The media is keeping a VERY CLOSE LID on it, only information that are leaking is from the family and friends.

Edit: Added Pictures

To the cops that shot him.

edit on 7/29/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/29/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

It doesn't seem like there were any hostages, so whose life was being threatened, apart from the cops, who are paid to deal with that kind of thing and are expected to resolve issues peacefully, if possible, or with minimum use of force, if not?.

edit on 29-7-2013 by IvanAstikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Caroline13456

God forbid you should ever have a nervous breakdown or otherwise become mentally ill.

My nervous breakdowns dont involve threatening people with knives... as for becoming mentally ill, in that case, I will then face my destiny, whichever it is, if it is taking 9 bullets because I threatened a whole streetcar with a knife, so be it.

What you think I open an exception for myself? I dont. I treat others as I wish they would treat me. Actually they could shoot me BEFORE I pose a threat to anyone if I become mentally ill... if I cant shoot myself.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I suspect you are right about the media because I read this yesterday evening on MSN.ca but there was not a WORD about it on Yahoo.ca.

+19 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Are you going to be the arbiter of when you are losing your grasp on reality, or can anyone tell you when it's time to shoot yourself?

link   
Failure to Communicate

www.youtube.com...

+26 more 
link   

IF you become mentally ill? Sounds to me like the horse has already left that barn.

+63 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

So you are saying this kid deserved to die?

Hate to be the one to break it to you but you are already sick, my friend ...

+41 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

I threatened a whole streetcar with a knife

Who do you threatened on an EMPTY street car? The victim told everyone to LEAVE the car. What kinda criminal takes an empty street car as hostage???

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Just because 9 shots were fired doesn't mean he was hit 9 times. Considering how bad some city cops are, 3 hits would be normal. It says in the article that a cop with a taser didn't show up until after shots were fired.

I'm sorry but if someone pointing a gun at you (cop or not) and is yelling drop the knife and said knife holder doesn't drop the knife, this outcome is a foregone conclusion.

All that being said, since no one else was on the bus at the time, they should've waited him out unless he made a move towards one of the cops while still holding the knife.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Those cops just don't care for the lives of people any more, they are just on a job, like mercenaries. It has become like some kind of game for them, with a global invisible threat, they feel threatened wherever they go, they feel they must protect their employers at all cost, like machines who are programmed to do a task, to protect some intangible law and all powerful authority. It's all out of balance, like in a dystopia.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov

It doesn't seem like there were any hostages, so whose life was being threatened, apart from the cops, who are paid to deal with that kind of thing and are expected to resolve issues peacefully, if possible, or with minimum use of force, if not?.

edit on 29-7-2013 by IvanAstikov because: (no reason given)

Well... something made them shoot him. Where I am I cant hear any meaningful dialogue, but something made them click. Plus he was syrian... who knows what he said to the cops, maybe he used the wrong threats, maybe he got profiled as a terrorist in a fraction of a second by something he said - but something made them put him down on the spot, because this is not standard procedure in a "safe situation" when theres no hostages and noone being threatened.

People are just glad when they read "cops killed this or that - x shots fired etc" - that alone is enough for them to start talking, well we dont know anything else about this, so its fair to let the police explain the situation since that article explains nothing about the actual situation - they focus on the shooting and the reaction.

This could even be a suicide by cops for all we know...

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Considering this is Toronto, where you barely here any gun fights, especially Cops shooting a civilian..Heck last year was probably the most gun shots and it was 4/per year...

9x shots for a guy who wasn't moving, not aggressive and on a empty street car?

I understand you have to drop whatever you were doing if police ask you, i mean i would, but what prompted the 9x shots?

Gun is a last resort too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join