It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jimmy Carter: US "has no functioning democracy"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Jimmy Carter: US "has no functioning democracy"

www.salon.com

Former U.S. president Jimmy Carter is so concerned about the NSA spying scandal that he thinks it has essentially resulted in a suspension of American democracy.
“America does not at the moment have a functioning democracy,” he said at an event in Atlanta on Tuesday sponsored by the Atlantik Bruecke, a private nonprofit association working to further the German-U.S. relationship. The association’s name is German for “Atlantic bridge.”
Carter’s remarks didn’t appear in the American mainstream press but were reported from Atlanta by the German newsmagazine Der Spiegel, whose Wash
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
In one of the most frank yet shocking statements by a past president, Fmr. Prez. Carter explained what is becoming apparent to everyone except the man in the street.. America's Republic does not have an operational democracy..
It is no surprise to most of us that this was only published in few media locations.. and now on ATS ...

www.salon.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I am proud of the former President.

I have always thought he was a decent man who loves his Country.

We should a rally behind people speaking truth to power.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Thank you for this addition. Agreed.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Why is that even a concern any longer?
In all honesty. What does Snowden know that is so important?
If America is no longer a democracy then what is it? And more importantly, does it really matter?
The only thing that has changed in roughly thirty years is the level of our technology, we are all still chasing the same phantom truths.
The NSA is watching us?!!
Well guess what, TV and Movies have been saying that for years and now you act surprised and upset?
The Government is a scam?
Again, popular culture has been dictating that to me since i was 12...i am over it now.
Aliens/UFOs?
Great. So there are more people out there who either want us dead or enslaved, well i hope the women are hot.
God is alive?
He might be, but so is my landlord and i haven't seen him much either.

My advice, get rich and be happy. It's better then the alternatives.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere

Not to mention that he believes in aliens. Put all that together and now I'm thinking he's mod on here.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

Jimmy is a old school liberal he is seeing just how far the government and both political parties have fallen to the progressive scum bags.

He is a man of honor. Liberal or not. Were are the other men of honor hiding these days? I actually feel like crying when I think of what this country will look like in the future. It is only going to go down hill as apathy and fear really take hold. And nothing will stop it.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I've always thought he was an overly idealistic, bleeding heart, guilt ridden loon.
He's not stupid though.
He can see what's going on.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
I've always thought he was an overly idealistic, bleeding heart, guilt ridden loon.
He's not stupid though.
He can see what's going on.

That is what the right painted him as. They need division and in reality the lines do not exist. They are all for show and to keep this lie going year after year decade after decade.

Look at Mr. Paul and what the right did to him.
All he was saying was to follow what the founding fathers had in mind. We are all fools.

The left vs right is just a game.
edit on 27-7-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

See, and people say I can never agree with a liberal, pffft. Spot on Mr. President, well said.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
When a former president is concerned about our state of affairs, you would think the media would jump on it. The media today is a disgrace. They would rather make a major issue of a chef using the "N" word, than the importance of a former president sounding an alarm about us losing our rule of law.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Though I want to agree with Carter, do you really want to align yourself with what I remember as the weakest president in history?

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Well remember whom were the ones that gave him that tittle. Nobody actually can tell why he gained that tittle but one thing is for sure, many relate the success of a president to their rating numbers and Carter have low ratings but so Bush at one point and now Obama.

So do you actually know or anybody know why he gain the tittle of weakest president? the economy was not as sucky as its today actually today is the worst.

Also he became a great humanitarian after his presidential time and still active today, now as for the comments on US Democracy I am very happy to know that he still is so connected to reality that he see the crap that our government has become since his time, something that most political whores today have not clue what it means

Bravo Mister Carter.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
After some digging I traced the article to its original source which was the 'International Business Times', and the article only seems to appear in the German edition...

de.ibtimes.com...

The article itself is only small, so I put it through Google translate which offers the following:

Jimmy Carter, who reigned from 1977 to 1981 in the White House, has lashed out at the incumbent U.S. government after the revelations about NSA spying programs.

"America has no functioning democracy," said the Nobel Peace Prize. It had gone too far in the privacy of the penetration. CARTER commented positively about former U.S. intelligence official Edward Snowden, who had brought the global Spähprogramm to the public.

Carter had already been talking to the TV network CNN obtained a clear stand against the actions of U.S. intelligence. Snowden's revelations were "likely to be useful because they inform the public." And the ex-president goes further: he speaks of "excessive" secrecy and an "invasion of privacy" that has gone too far.

It remains to be seen whether and how the Americans will resolve its democratic deficit.

The fact that this article has not been reported by mainstream English media or press agencies is quite telling, Here, we have a former president of America criticising the current administration on its unconstitutional surveillance program, a very current topic, and its not reported in America or other western countries, except Germany. Actually, it is quite breath-taking.

I shall be reporting it in the comments section of the Guardian tomorrow.
edit on 27/7/13 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

edit on 27/7/13 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
With his certifications of questionable elections across the world from Africa to Haiti and Venezuela coupled with his own atrocious human rights record(200,000 dead in East Timor alone)I'm not certain President Carter would know a democracy if it was giving him a lap dance.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Though I want to agree with Carter, do you really want to align yourself with what I remember as the weakest president in history?

LOL!....I don't think he was nearly as bad as the one we have right now! And that is saying something!

The MSM is not carrying this because they prefer to carry their own Opinion - Editorials...why in the world would they ever consider carrying the opinion of someone as insignificant as a former president? /sarcasm off

As far as I am concerned, the MSM are totally under the power of the GOV...The new ministry of Propaganda....Whether it's CNN, FOX or MSNBC...they are all propaganda machines just delivering the garbage in different ways.

He would be so proud...

edit on 7/27/2013 by Damian65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
This is a good thing... the US is not supposed to have a functioning democracy. The US is supposed to have a functioning Constitutional Republic, but unfortunately we don't have one of those either. What we DO have is a functioning Fascist Oligarchy, and we all know how that's working out.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
No, no he wouldn't be proud. The NAZI's lost and the jewish people weren't exterminated entirely. The beliefs of the NAZI's led to the massacre of millions and HE failed in his most devout beliefs.

Why?

Because of American's.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Not to mention that he believes in aliens. Put all that together and now I'm thinking he's mod on here.

Which means what exactly?

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

Having lived through the Carter years they actually felt a lot like now.

We were weak in the world, hated, terrible economy. If anyone would know when the country is in trouble it would be this guy. Worst president ever? Well, until Bush / Obama he was.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join