It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question what if a huge volcanic fissure suddenly formed in the Pacific Ocean?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
What if a huge volcanic fissure suddenly and explosively formed in the Pacific Ocean what would the following damage be to the nations that are located in the Pacific Ocean?
Note this is a hypothetical question.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
1 would think they would drop something even more hypothetical in it and disrupt a potential explosion as it collapses on itself preventing catastrophe related issue... hypothetically speaking.
edit on 7/25/13 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracyskeptic

It would just be either a tsunami event or it will act just like a big explosion like a nuke that would make no tsunami

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Well, OP. I'm no Environmental Scientist or Terraforming Engineer....but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once a few years ago!

In my pure layman guess? I'd say millions of gallons of sea water would flash form into steam in a continual, self sustaining process, once it began. Enough Lava pushing up would offset the tendency to shell case and stop the flow, I'd guess. So... What happens when millions, then 10's of millions of gallons of water flash forms into steam? Well.. it would rise, right? Eventually, enough would form a column to carry it all the way and then....hey, Where'd those BIG BIG clouds come from ...? ?

..and I'd suddenly feel a very strong compulsion to find out precisely how big a Cubit really is and how to feed many animals on a new boat that needed building ...really really fast.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I would start building huge robots!

Instead of, lets say, dropping a huge f*-load of watermines around that area - what was wrong with the military in that stupid movie?!!

Okay, I was ranting...

In fact, define "huge", as several fissures are always open in the firering.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Enough Lava pushing up would offset the tendency to shell case and stop the flow, I'd guess. So... What happens when millions, then 10's of millions of gallons of water flash forms into steam?

Except that under that kind of pressure water does not form steam. It just gets hot.
upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
According to current dogma, gigantic monsters would rise from the oceans and attack human cities. Eventually, a large moth-like creature will show up and fight the large lizard-like monsters.

Recently Hollywood has come up with a different idea; huge human robots.

Now, I'm all for huge robots; but I don't see us getting them ready in time for the huge monster attack. I'm pretty sure that the big robots are just Hollywood, the monsters...not so sure....

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

I'm thinking a 1000+ kilometers into length,500 kilometers wide and 150 kilometers into the mantle.Does that adequately fit the definition of huge for you?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Am I right in thinking the Pacific ocean is surrounded by a continuous line of volcanoes and fissures? if so, I think somewhere along that line the already present volcanic activity would act as a release valve?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracyskeptic
reply to post by ManFromEurope

I'm thinking a 1000+ kilometers into length,500 kilometers wide and 150 kilometers into the mantle.Does that adequately fit the definition of huge for you?

That would be the death for us all. Huge enough, I guess.

What is the intention of your (insane) values? I do hope (fingers crossed, fingers crossed, fingers crossed) it has nothing to do with religion?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracyskeptic

Here is an under water video of a volcanic eruption on the pacific rim.

Really quite cool to watch.

link[editb y]edit on 25-7-2013 by Diisenchanted because: fixed link

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
It solely depends upon the size of the "fissure"

There are numerous openings in the ocean floor where hot gases or lava pours into the ocean.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well, I did say it was a layman (uneducated) opinion! lol.... I'm glad I didn't try bluffing as if I knew anything on the topic.

Anyway... That does bring up an interesting point though. If the OP's scenario happened, however unlikely...what does happen? I get the hot water part...but if it's a fissure of great size and expanding? Wouldn't that simply keep generating more and more hot water in an ever increasing size column, rising upward? If the source keeps generating more? It just seems to me that the accumulated mass of super-heated water would eventually form enough to reach the top as still very hot?

....Or would the size and mass of the ocean simply work as the world's biggest heat sink to disperse the heat, no matter now much was at the source?

new topics

top topics

active topics

join