It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Had a cheesesteak in Philly on Saturday

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by hhcore

We have poutine here.

First time I ever heard of it, so I googled.

I would eat that. I like french fries with gravy. Never had it with curds though.

It is a very tasty way to eat fries, for sure. Just have to be careful, sometimes the gravy is way too salty. But I would certainly recomend trying it if you ever come across them

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Sometimes the marketing of food distorts it's "purity", if you will. For instance, ever had a pizza in Italy? It's not the same. At all. And that's because, in America, the pizza evolved into something else entirely in the process of making it as appealing as possible to as many people as possible.

I suspect the cheesesteak may be experiencing a similar phenomenon.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Genos is good but there are better places to eat a steak in Philly. Personally I like their steaks but I always go somewhere else because of my cheese and steak preferences.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

For instance, ever had a pizza in Italy? It's not the same. At all.

Amen.
I had a pizza in Rome that was the worst pizza that I have ever eaten. The crust wasn't cooked, still dough. We asked for pepperoni, the pie came out with a sliced up hot dog on it. At least the beer was cold.
I had a good pizza in Assisi, the owners of the shop were Germans though.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by NthOther

For instance, ever had a pizza in Italy? It's not the same. At all.

Amen.
I had a pizza in Rome that was the worst pizza that I have ever eaten. The crust wasn't cooked, still dough. We asked for pepperoni, the pie came out with a sliced up hot dog on it. At least the beer was cold.
I had a good pizza in Assisi, the owners of the shop were Germans though.

I still very much prefer the Americanized pizza, I don't like traditional Italian ones, the only thing I do like on them is the Buffalo mozzarella that is usually used, it's tasty!

I always wanted to try a cheese steak, I know it's probably gonna taste similar to a cheeseburger maybe, but thanks to Man vs food, I just want the experience of going to America and trying some of the naughty foods on offer, they look ridiculously good.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Yeah you missed something, you didn't have a real cheesesteak. American cheese? LMAO! An authentic philly cheesesteak has provolone (Itallian smoked cheese) on it.

I wanted to vomit when I read American cheese, that is perfect on a burger (I prefer sharp cheddar or pepper jack myself) but not on a real cheesesteak. I love American cheese too, but believe me you will know the difference when you eat a cheesesteak with provolone on it. Oh, and don't forget the hot & sweet peppers, or it's still not a true cheesesteak.

Out here on the West Coast there is a franchise called The Cheesesteak shop which is based on authentic philly cheesesteaks. It's very popular all over California. Best cheesesteaks you will ever have and I have tried many all over the Country. If you're ever out here I would try one. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Sorry OP but you fell into the tourist trap. Pat's and Geno's are okay and Jim's on South Street is better. The place you really want to try is Dalessandro's on Henry Avenue in Roxborough. They make the biggest and best cheesesteaks in the area by far.

Also, next time you're down check out Dinic's in the Reading Terminal. Their roast beef or roast pork sandwich was voted one of the best in the nation. Make sure you get it with the sharp provolone!

Damn, when is lunch time?

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Trust me, Geno's is for tourists, same with Pat's.

To get a great cheesesteak, you have to go to the street vendors or the smaller restaurants.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
So on Saturday I was down there for a concert and stopped at Genos. Cheesesteak with American cheese and some cheese fries.

Genos? Shoulda' gone to Pats. And should'a had cheeze whiz not American cheese.
(at least you didn't say provolone like John Kerry did when he was here! )
Don't let the Philly mob hear ya' talk'n 'bout Genos like that.
You'll be swimm'n wid' da' fishes in the Delaware River.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by RomaSempre
check out Dinic's in the Reading Terminal.

Reading Terminal Market has THE BEST food! We go to By George! Italian food and get the Cheesesteaks there and take home Italian in a to-go. Best stuff ever.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I used to go to New Jersey and New York quite a bit, back in the 80's. I first experienced the cheese steak on the Boardwalk. It was a "little bit of Heaven". lol. I fell in love with the cheese steak from then on and let me tell you, none of these cheap, imitation cheese steaks come close, i.e. Gino's, to the real thing.

Nothing like having the steak cooked right in front of you along with the peppers and onions and some good ol' provolone cheese.

Damn...Do they still sell those things on the boardwalk? Does the boardwalk still exist......I live in Arkansas and haven't been back to New York in years. lol.

Loved Edison, New Jersey. Hated New York city, dirtiest place I ever saw, lol. Loved the boardwalk.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I'll pass up a cheesesteak for a good capicolla and provolone sub on a hard roll, with sweet peppers, onion and lettuce.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Yeah Genos is garbage I been there a few times but that was cause everyone wants to go to Genos after hitting some clubs and bars, I was never impressed with them or their food and the way they treat people that dont speak good english is very ignorant genos gets 5 thumbs down

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Hi,

You are missing you family.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
If you're really in the burbs...RON'S ORIGINAL (aka Ron's Schoolhouse I guess because of the bus). First food I ate in PA and so far the best food. Extensive menu, no gmo, a HUGE gluten free selection. Right off of 113 just off of the Turnpike (hwy 100 exit), too.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I did a lot of work in Philly and was able to experiance the "Philly Cheesesteak".... My first impressions was like yours... Upon further looking around however I noticed there's a Cheesesteak stand on every friggin corner!!!! I felt duped... How do you know which ones are "good" and the worser? I had to hit up like 10 different Philly Cheesesteak Posts... I found good ones.... I guess it would be safe to say....

"In Philly, all Cheese steaks are not created equally"

top topics

<< 1   >>

join